Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
1930 Mercedes-Benz SS Roadster

nothing wrong with this one either! :D
pb01-00.jpg

N2S3

New in Town
Maybe to late, not real Golden Era, but I would vote for Dodge Power Wagon, the flat fender version of course.
After WWII they introduced this 1-ton Farm Truck. 4WD and tough, solid built it was an icon of Post-War PickUps. The neat design and utility make the PW a remarkable success. Was built from 1946 - 1969.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
These have all come up on ebay recently. I like their looks.
Original
e0a9_3.jpg

f0ff_3.jpg

Post restoration
e150_3.jpg

old unrestored custom
05d4_3.jpg

0a74_3.jpg

de41_1.jpg

5c41_1.jpg

Crosley custom
1f2b_12.jpg

1be5_12.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
e0a9_3.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous. I think I spy a lot of 1930s American low-priced makes in this car. Some type of 1950s homebuilt, I'd say, but probably the best work on one I've ever seen outside of the Coachcraft-built "Yankee Doodle Roadster."

I like the original paint scheme considerably better than the "restored" paint scheme, personally. The newer paint makes it look a bit like an MG-TC kit car.

-Dave

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
1934 Ford Phaeton.

My father has a very nice restored example that I got to drive a few times when we were on better terms.....long story.

They have plenty of power for today's traffic. Flathead V8's have quite a bit of torque. The only thing that takes practice is the unsynchronized gearbox. Once you have double clutching down it becomes second nature.

N2S3

New in Town
What's about light trucks, Ford F1 or Chevy Models. Must be some survivors in original shape.

Another favorite: aged Airstream caravans, towed by an oldtimecar

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
N2S3 said:
What's about light trucks, Ford F1 or Chevy Models. Must be some survivors in original shape.

Another favorite: aged Airstream caravans, towed by an oldtimecar

Both are favorites of mine - I'd love a post-war pickup to use as a work truck. Everyone needs the ability to haul stuff!

1950_IHC_3.jpg

And a vintage camper (of any stripe, though an Airstream would be preferred), hauled by a vintage wagon is definitely a must-have someday:

1953_Mercury.jpg

1960_IHC_Travelall.jpg

-Dave

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting find ...

I don't know if this is the right thread to put this or not, but here it is anyway.

I just found some interesting old papers while going through some of my Dad's things. One of the papers was the order sheet where my grandmother traded in the family's old 1927 Oldsmobile for a new 1936 Plymouth. The '36 Plymouth, including tax, title, and fees (plus extras) sold for $772.20. The '27 Olds was worth $100.00 as a trade.

This old document was an interesting find for me, as I already had the order sheet for my grandfather's first car, a 1922 Dodge Brother's Touring Car (sold for about $600.00 if I remember correctly). I know that at some time my grandfather drove a "big, four-door Oldsmobile", but I didn't know the model. Also, I never knew (but suspected) that at some point in time the Olds was traded/sold, and some kind of car took it's place. I can remember when my aunt used to drive a 1947 Chevrolet, and when she traded it in for a 1961 Chevy (which is still in the family), but, I never knew about the '36 Plymouth until yesterday.

So, you will have to excuse me for rambling on about all this (which probabally is of little interest to you all), but this was quite a "discovery" for me. What I do think will be of interest is the order sheet, so here it is. Sorry for the large image size, but I thought it may be necessary to read it better.

1936_Plymouth_contract.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One more new find ...

Here's one more new find I made.

This is a photo of my granddad's 1931 vehicle registration card for his 1927 Oldsmobile. It's interesting to note that the tag fee was $12.50 in 1931. I wonder what that would be in today's money? I guess when I go to renew my vehicle registration this year it won't hurt quite as much ...

1931_regrestration_card_for_1927_Ol.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Very neat, Big Man. Those kinds of papers lend an invaluable history to old cars that so many are lacking. Modern privacy laws have made tracking down an old car's history all the harder. Too bad you don't still have that old Plymouth, or the Olds for that matter.

-Dave

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Very neat. Thanks for posting it! Interesting how they put the total interest of the loan on the sales contract. 18 months--a rather short maturity by today's standard of 60-month contracts. I love how it says the payment is due on the 10th of every month in the Ashville Office. Wonder if he was ever late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats