Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
JimInSoCalif said:
One such firm was in Pasadena, but I can't think of the name of it.

I don't know who was in Pasadena, but the Earl Automobile Works in Hollywood was an important player not so much for the bodies they produced but for the talent they produced and where he went to work - Harley, the son of the founder, went on to become chief stylist for GM from 1927 and 1958 and probably had more influence on US auto styling than any other person. His mantra was "longer, lower, wider" and it culminated in the 1958 Buick and Olds models.

-Dave

PS Regarding the "round door" Rolls, I think the controversy was with regard to the radical styling and whether RR would have allowed one of their chassis to be bodied by such a coach builder in the first place. But being capitalists first and conservatives second, I'm sure the pocketbook would win out.

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm really glad to hear that someone else out there is a fan of the "39 Buick. In my opinion, it's one of the best looking Buicks of the golden era.

But, the automotive press and most of my "car" friends detest it. They think the front end looks weak and the grille is too finely detailed. They like the '40 model much better with its bolder horizontal bar grille.

But I think the '39 looks fantastic! That finely detailed vertical bar grille set the trend for Buick. They are still using variations of it today.

What do other FLers think?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
'39 is a honey of a Buick... I have friends who can't stand that grill but, I think it's unique and I find it attractive... but, I find earlier Buicks a little more attractive such as the '34 model year as standing out for me to be one of the best for the company!

1934_Buick_Padgett2.jpg

And, in many Warner Brother's films, you'll see '36 Buick's too!

1936-Dolly-b.jpg

Those are my top picks for Buick's!

I also love the Cadillac's of '36... Oh man, they're sharp! And also Studebaker's 'President' had a nice long profile! They had some beautiful dash styling and a chrome/deco speaker mounted above the windshield in the headliner!

PS: Here are some photos I found on the net of a '36 Studebaker President... not the best shots and no shot of the headliner speaker but, these will give ya an idea.

36presrf.JPG

36presspeedo.JPG

36presclock.JPG

Class_Act

New in Town
Thanks for the Buick photos ForgottenMan. Boy howdy that '34 looks Sharp! I do prefer the Cadillacs and LaSalles (especially a '31 or '32) but I've been looking at Buicks recently because I might actually be able to afford one in the near future!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The '37 and '38 Buicks have a real cult following, but I have to agree about the '36. It's a balance point between grills that looked like radiators, and the purely decorative ones that followed. I'm one of those people who can't quite loook a '39 Buick in the eye. They just make me wince.
My favorite, tho, is the '41 Buick.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Oh man, the '41 Buick... GOLLY GEE WHIZ! I saw a '41 Buick convertible for sale once... it was all black, with a dark red leather interior... Had the Fireball 8... One of the best looking Buicks of the 40s!

Just to let everyone know, I have an appreciation for all American cars made between 1920-1955. I haven't met a car I didn't like in some way. And if I see any car of those years that’s stock at a car show, I love it even more! I just love history and all makes and models have a place in it.

I'm in no way a Ford man... I bleed MoPar but, if I could get my mitts on a '35 Ford Phaeton like this, I'd be really happy!

1935%20Ford%204dr%20Deluxe%20Phaeton.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
I'm in no way a Ford man... I bleed MoPar but, if I could get my mitts on a '35 Ford Phaeton like this, I'd be really happy!

That reminds me of Gittes' Chinatown car - which I believed was a '36 but it may actually be a '35:

888.jpg

Forgotten Man said:
Oh man, the '41 Buick... GOLLY GEE WHIZ! I saw a '41 Buick convertible for sale once... it was all black, with a dark red leather interior... Had the Fireball 8... One of the best looking Buicks of the 40s!

Just to let everyone know, I have an appreciation for all American cars made between 1920-1955. I haven't met a car I didn't like in some way. And if I see any car of those years that’s stock at a car show, I love it even more! I just love history and all makes and models have a place in it.

Sure and I am not a Duesenberg man but if one showed up in my driveway, I'd be really happy. ;) :p

Flivver

Practically Family
The '36 Buick is often credited with saving the brand.

After the disaster of the "pregnant Buick" of 1929, Buick sales declined steadilly until by 1933, GM management was considering cancelling Buick. But they decided to give Buick another chance and appointed a dynamic, young general manager named Harlow Curtice to run the failing division.

The 1936 models (the first Harlow Curtice Buicks) and their innovative advertising campaign put Buick back on the map.

In the early 1930s, Buick had become something of a stodgy brand for older people. Harlow Curtice re-directed the brand into performance oriented cars for the younger generation.

Interestingly, the younger generation that connected strongly with Buick in the late 1930s is what we now call the Depression Generation...and they are *still* Buick's most loyal customers.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
That reminds me of Gittes' Chinatown car - which I believed was a '36 but it may actually be a '35:

888.jpg

Yes, it is a '35 Ford! The '36 grill looks like this:

0608rc_10_z+pat_aust_profile+1936_ford_phaeton.jpg

It is a shame what they did to that poor '35 in Chinatown! I was crying.:(

Flivver said:
The '36 Buick is often credited with saving the brand.

After the disaster of the "pregnant Buick" of 1929, Buick sales declined steadilly until by 1933, GM management was considering cancelling Buick. But they decided to give Buick another chance and appointed a dynamic, young general manager named Harlow Curtice to run the failing division.

The 1936 models (the first Harlow Curtice Buicks) and their innovative advertising campaign put Buick back on the map.

In the early 1930s, Buick had become something of a stodgy brand for older people. Harlow Curtice re-directed the brand into performance oriented cars for the younger generation.

Interestingly, the younger generation that connected strongly with Buick in the late 1930s is what we now call the Depression Generation...and they are *still* Buick's most loyal customers.

That is interesting info, isn't funny how most depression era members of society today drive big names from that era such as Buick, Chrysler and Cadillac. Bless them! In fact, I’m the first member of the family to buy a Chrysler product since my Grandparents on my Dad’s side passed away. They always had Plymouth’s or Chryslers! The last American car my folks bought was a Mercury… then came the import phase… Toyota then Mitsubishi… My folks and my brother all drive Mitsubishi’s… and I drive a PLYMOUTH! HA!

jamespowers said:
Sure and I am not a Duesenberg man but if one showed up in my driveway, I'd be really happy. ;) :p

Only a few people in the world can afford to be Duesenberg men! And they never show up to car shows! Jerks! lol

Forgotten Man said:
Only a few people in the world can afford to be Duesenberg men! And they never show up to car shows! Jerks! lol

Yes and unfortunately hindsight is 20/20. Back in the 1950s Duesenbergs were to be found on used car lots for $500. I have a picture around here somewhere with said marque with a $500 for sale sign in the window. Now If I could just find that time machine......;) :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yeah, there was a point where those glamour buggies went for cheap but it didn't last long. Soon after that people started to collect them and the price went up. I guess that's why there are a few private owners out there that have them... they've had them since the 50s or 60s when they were touchable.

Not so much anymore! That's ok, I'll take a Chrysler any day! Especially a '32 roadster!

Forgotten Man said:
Yeah, there was a point where those glamour buggies went for cheap but it didn't last long. Soon after that people started to collect them and the price went up. I guess that's why there are a few private owners out there that have them... they've had them since the 50s or 60s when they were touchable.

Not so much anymore! That's ok, I'll take a Chrysler any day! Especially a '32 roadster!

True but I could always find one of these in the garage:
bugattiatlante1si1.jpg

Like the story in another thread. A couple million bucks? Sure. I'll take it---and drive it too.;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred