Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Have you been to Westchester or Marin?

It broadcasts to the world the fact that the driver is not some insecure prole who needs a Ferrari to show the world his wealth or to pick up girls.
0805.jpg
[/QUOTE]
They may not buy it to pick up girls but it is definetely a yuppie car. "look at me, I'm too good to drive a domestic";)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
If you look at most GM cars from the 70s or 80s they look terrible today, but the European cars while obviously looking old, don't look bad at all.

Well, obviously we have a slight difference of opinion and that's not wrong but, I remember some of the 70's cars when new and well, any car will look ugly today if it's not kept up nice. Yes, the cars of the 70's offered some very unpleasing styles but, I think I like them more because they broke the mold and were different to some extent.

I don't care what make it is but, the cars of the 80's will forever be the worst decade for car design in my mind. All of them look the same. Not too much change I'm seeing even in European style. Just too many sharp lines and too boxy looking. A lack of grace and style.

=WR=

cneil

Familiar Face
Smith Road Commander Special

Wild Root said:
Well, obviously we have a slight difference of opinion and that's not wrong but, I remember some of the 70's cars when new and well, any car will look ugly today if it's not kept up nice. Yes, the cars of the 70's offered some very unpleasing styles but, I think I like them more because they broke the mold and were different to some extent.

I don't care what make it is but, the cars of the 80's will forever be the worst decade for car design in my mind. All of them look the same. Not too much change I'm seeing even in European style. Just too many sharp lines and too boxy looking. A lack of grace and style. If I were to design a car and put the money into it, it would look more like this....

I give you, the Smith Road Comander!

=WR=

Good Looking Automobile WR.
But we want details.

My Choice.
Power plant (Think baby Duisenberg by Lycoming)
5.4L In-Line 8 Cylinder Engine.
Dual Overhead Cams operating 4 Valves per cylinder.
Hemispherical Combustion Chamber.
Supercharger.
Baju Automatic Lubrication.
4 Speed fully synchronized Transmission with a Columbian Overdrive.
Rear Axle by Super Swallow Side Car Company (Jaguar LTD.) XK Independent Axle.
Dunlop Hydraulic 4 wheel Disc.
Wheels, 19�x7.50
Suspension, Dynoride by Buick
Body by Walter Murphy Coach Works, Los Angeles.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Wild Root said:

I don't care what make it is but, the cars of the 80's will forever be the worst decade for car design in my mind. All of them look the same. Not too much change I'm seeing even in European style. Just too many sharp lines and too boxy looking. A lack of grace and style. If I were to design a car and put the money into it, it would look more like this....

I give you, the Smith Road Comander!

=WR=

The problem as I see it is that even though I love the car designs of the "golden era" we will never see cars like that again. We may see revivals or poor copies (PT Cruiser, T_bird, etc) but never again will cars have the same style that they used to. The nature of the product (and the purchaser) has changed too much.

At best I think we can hope for cars which are non-offensive, clean, reliable, efficient and durable. Which to some extent the vintage cars are not.

In short, I would love to own a vintage car but I realize that I will also probably need a modern car. The problem is that modern cars are becoming more and more complex where I value simplicity and ease-of-use.

I think it should have a V-12. Large tires, wire wheels, removable hardtop and a soft top. Five speed manual transmission, independent suspension all around racing suspension of course, Supercharged.
That would work for me. All the extras can be thrown aside. I can crank my own windows, lock my own doors and navigate my own way around. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Vladimir Berkov said:
In short, I would love to own a vintage car but I realize that I will also probably need a modern car. The problem is that modern cars are becoming more and more complex where I value simplicity and ease-of-use.

That's all I own and drive. They are more reliable than any modern car I have ever had and twice as easy to fix. The cost of operation is way less, the license fees are almost nonexistent and once you get them the way you like, they stay that way not constantly using a computer to contramand what I want. I also don't have to worry about closing the gas cap tight so the idiot light on the dash stops flashing. If you think they are cheap, try replacing the heater core on a new truck. You have to nearly remove the whole dash! Take it to the dealer so you can pay a few thousand in labor. Whee! No thanks.

Regards to all,

J

cneil

Familiar Face
The lack of original desin in Autos

Another part of the problem.

Many of the Great Cars where the idea of one man or a small group of enthusiast.

A.C.D. (Auburn, Cord and Duisenberg) Thou at one time they where the 8th. Largest automobile manufacture in the world, had a very small design team, all Auto enthused.

Fred and Augusts Duisenberg where Bicycle Mechanics whitch became Bicycle racing witch became Car Racing witch became Automobile Manufacturing.
E.L.Cord, Loved fast and Beautiful Cars.
Alex Trmilus and Ed Buring where then Young auto designers who loved what they did.

One now days can spend their whole career designing Door Handles and have every detail change by the accountants.

E.L.Cord wanted inspired design, Build the best.

I had servile conversations with Alex; he is most Famous to day for his years as head of Design for Buick at G.M.
But his favorite designs and the most fun he had was with A.C.D.

The best story on this is shortly after E.L.Cord bought Duisenberg, he wisely kept the brothers.
He went over to the Duisenberg shop and asked Fred and Augusts, “ What are you thinking for our next car�
Fred answered “ I was thinking a Gentleman Racer, you know, like the car E. & O Bentley Brothers are doing in England�
E.L. Thought about this and paced back and forth. Then he said, “ Boys, Dream no little dreams, design the finest thing on 4 wheels, period.�
And as the ledged goes, Thus was born the mighty model “J� Duisenberg.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
The problem as I see it is that even though I love the car designs of the "golden era" we will never see cars like that again. We may see revivals or poor copies (PT Cruiser, T_bird, etc) but never again will cars have the same style that they used to. The nature of the product (and the purchaser) has changed too much.

At best I think we can hope for cars which are non-offensive, clean, reliable, efficient and durable. Which to some extent the vintage cars are not.

Bro, I know what you mean but, as of late, there has been a rise in vintage styled cars such as the new Chevy. Has any one seen that thing? It's like Chevy's PT in a way. My gripe with it is that they make cars that look classic but, they just never round out the back! Come on, let's see a fast back for once!!!

If I were an auto designer, I'd have the guts to put out something like this. If I owned my own company, I'd make reasonable cars but, would put this out and see how the public liked it. It's an original with very strong 1930's styling. I hate how some touch upon the vintage look but, don't go through it all the way. I want to make something that looks really nice and has all the charm of a vintage car but, with the goods of a modern car. I really wish the auto industry would do something like this. In fact, there were two guys a few years back that made a run of 51 Tuckers! Yes, they made 51 new Tuckers!!! And they sold them all for 250,000.oo each! They sold out! There are plenty of people out there that have money and would want a car like this. It wouldn't be for the typical consumer but, a crowd who have fine taste in cars that are tired of the same boxy looking plastic toting soccer wagons. There is a man here in So Cal that makes accessories for PT's. I have seen some PT's that look very 40's. They make the skirts, sun visors, stainless trim and all sorts of things including chrome bumpers for PT's. I feel that if this car was to come out on the market, it would blow every one a way. It would sell if marketed right. Ever one can buy a car that looks and drives like an 80's Volvo, (They made a good car but, lets try something different) I enjoy the thought of designing a car like this but, I know it will never come to pass.

The way I see it is, since people are making repro vintage clothes, why not have a car to match
=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
cneil said:
Then he said, “ Boys, Dream no little dreams, design the finest thing on 4 wheels, period.”
And as the ledged goes, Thus was born the mighty model “J” Duisenberg.

AMEN!:cheers1: That's what I'm talking about! Do what you want, let the chips fall where they may. What they made are now worth millions of dollars today because, they have class, style, craftsmanship, quality and were all individually styled! No two Duesenberg's™ are alike!

Dream no little dreams, I like that! ;)

=WR=

cneil

Familiar Face
A few tales of a Automobile Genuis

A man who designed even more to his own wants and vision, a genius in auto design and art, Ellietor Bugatti.

EB built a 5 Star Hotel across the street from the factory so the clients could come and stay when they where building there car or doing modifications.

EB designed a 16 tumbler lock for the front gate of the Factory, and he had a man whose job was to go and polish the lock each morning before opening.

At the 1928 LeMans Race when a Bugatti Type 31 ( 2.8 Litter in-Line 8) was being beaten by a 3.5 Litter Blower E. &O. Bentley Brothers Car ( A big 4 cylinder)
A Reporter asked EB what he thought of the E. & O car.
He said, “ The Bentley Brothers build the Fastest TRUCK in the world�.

At a another race after a Type 28 missed a turn at high speed and hit a embankment, a reported asked EB why he did not put better brakes on his cars, he answered, “ I build my cars to go fast!, Not to Stop!�

In 1931 EB introduced the Bugatti Type 51, The “Royal�.
He built 7 of these magnificent cars, never sold one, It was meant for Royalty, but by 1931 no royalty in the world could afford one, only mere capitalist, which he would never consent to sell one to.

During WWII, Hemler and the S.S. had a special unit searching for the Type 41’s. The Bugatti where keep hidden by loyal employs who moved them from place to place to keep them hidden from the Nazi’s. The S.S. Never found a one.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
An old car is a toy

Yeah you can drive it every day, if your commute is less than 15 miles round trip. Or you put less than 4000 miles a year on them. But, they are highly impractical if you're driving 30 miles to and from work, in stop and go traffic and average 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year. The parts are hard to get and why spend the money when you're just running it into the ground? Yeah, I love old cars, but, I'm not going to put 15,000 miles a year on a 50-60 year old car. The PT Cruiser and the Chevy HHR are cute, but very small. They're made with four cylinders for MPG because the look is popular. Good car if you're under 5'5" but a 6'er and above is going to be uncomfortable. :cheers1:

cneil

Familiar Face
Comments on a automotive Genuis

Sorry, I had to re-post, there where some mistakes in the earler version, and it is not letting me edit them.
---------------

A man who designed even more to his own wants and vision, a genius in auto design and art, Ellietor Bugatti.

EB built a 5 Star Hotel across the street from the factory so the clients could come and stay when they where building there car or doing modifications.

EB designed a 16 tumbler lock for the front gate of the Factory, and he had a man whose job was to go and polish the lock each morning before opening.

At the 1928 LeMans Race when a Bugatti Type 31 ( 2.8 Litter in-Line 8) was being beaten by a 3.5 Litter Blower E. &O. Bentley Brothers Car ( A big 4 cylinder)
A Reporter asked EB what he thought of the E. & O car.
He said, “ The Bentley Brothers build the Fastest TRUCK in the world�.

At a another race after a Type 28 missed a turn at high speed and hit a embankment, a reported asked EB why he did not put better brakes on his cars, he answered, “ I build my cars to go fast!, Not to Stop!�

In 1931 EB introduced the Bugatti Type 41, The “Royal�.
He built 7 of these magnificent cars, never sold one, It was meant for Royalty, but by 1931 no royalty in the world could afford one, only mere capitalist, which he would never consent to sell one to.

During WWII, Hemler and the S.S. had a special unit searching for the Type 41’s. The Bugatti where keep hidden by loyal employs who moved them from place to place to keep them hidden from the Nazi’s. The S.S. Never found a one.

During WWI, EB Designed a 500 HP 16 Cylinder “Liberty� Aircraft engine.
( It was two In-Line 8 engines running Parallel of each other with a connecting power shaft riding in-between.)
Bugatti could not produce enghf for Allied demand, so a U.S. contractor was chosen to build some of these. The Dusenberg Brothers won the contract.
Fred and Augustus examined the design, and relised they could improve it.
By adding a Sealed Oil Lubrication system they could ingress RPM from 500 to 550, Increase Power Output and at the same time make it more reliable.
The War Department approved the changes.
When EB found out about this he order the War Department to remove the contract from the Dusenberg Brothers with “My Engines need no improvement, My engines are perfect�

The War Department answered “that they would look into this�. The War was over and hundreds of engines where produced with out any other response .

Wild Root

Gone Home
I drive toys!

Lincsong said:
Yeah you can drive it every day, if your commute is less than 15 miles round trip. Or you put less than 4000 miles a year on them. But, they are highly impractical if you're driving 30 miles to and from work, in stop and go traffic and average 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year. The parts are hard to get and why spend the money when you're just running it into the ground? Yeah, I love old cars, but, I'm not going to put 15,000 miles a year on a 50-60 year old car. The PT Cruiser and the Chevy HHR are cute, but very small. They're made with four cylinders for MPG because the look is popular. Good car if you're under 5'5" but a 6'er and above is going to be uncomfortable. :cheers1:

I drive my '46 Plymouth daily. In fact, it's the only car I own. I was working in Pomona which was about 20 miles each way. I drive my car where I need to go because it's my car. It's a Plymouth so, the parts are rather easy to find, and are rather cheap. Plymouth's are on the cheap side because no one wants MoPars. They made plenty of the P-15 models and are very easy to find. I find it more reliable and cheaper to maintain compared to any late 80's or early 90's used car. I'm a tall man thus, hate modern cars. I enjoy the comforts of driving a 40's car. I'll never go back to driving cars that will only depreciate in value. If I put money into my car, it's going to help it. I don't run it into the ground if I keep it maintained. Yes, parts wear out but, these cars were built tough and will last years longer if taken care of. Also, things on these old cars are rebuild able.

A friend of mine has a '48 Plymouth P-15 Business coupe. Has had it for 15+ years and drives it every day on the free way and in stop and go traffic! He will not trade that car for anything! Crazy you may say yes, but it's all about how much you love something. Life is short, drive them and enjoy them!;)

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ever see one of these 40’s cars hit a Toyota? Not much of that Toyota left I’m telling you! Tough (as in) built like a tank! When it comes to weight and mass, vintage will prevail!

Obviously, Roger someone who has owned a vintage car for nearly two years and has put a few miles on one and has never broken down yet... (knock on wood) don't mean a hill of beans in your book I guess. Once again, you know everything! I have friends in the west and know of guys on the east who drive these daily when weather permits. Most of them keep them locked up for the winter until the ice and snow melts.

The beauty of PLYMOUTH'S are that they need very little. My car doesn't leak oil, it hardly burns any oil, and it gets about 16-18 miles to the gallon and is still a 6-Volt car. The older the car is, yes, the more work it will need! You mention "Shade tree mechanics"... funny, I'd love to see any one fix a modern car like that! With an old car, if you brake down, there are way fewer things to go wrong, it’s more likely you’ll get back on the road again and it's not so hard to pin point the problem! Such a basic an simple design these old MoPar’s have it’s just great! And one will not shut down on you because a .50c computer chip goes bad and costs $100 to replace!

Sorry, I guess I'll keep wasting time and money on driving a real car!

=WR=

Roger

A-List Customer
You just proved my point

Wild Root said:
Ever see one of these 40’s cars hit a Toyota? Not much of that Toyota left I’m telling you! Tough (as in) built like a tank! When it comes to weight and mass, vintage will prevail!
Ever see accident scene photo's from the 1940's? Passengers thrown through the windshield, concussions caused by the impact of wacking ones head on a metal dash and steering wheel, blood every where. Just the law of physics will cause a new Toyota to crumble when hit by a 40's car. The older car had no crumble zone. It would be like impaling any piece of sheet metal with a rod.

Obviously, Roger someone who has owned a vintage car for nearly two years and has put a few miles on one and has never broken down yet... (knock on wood) don't mean a hill of beans in your book I guess. Once again, you know everything!
I enjoy everyone's opinion.

I have friends in the west and know of guys on the east who drive these daily when weather permits. Most of them keep them locked up for the winter until the ice and snow melts.
Key word; WHEN WEATHER PERMITS, Precisely what I said; I wouldn't want to wake up every winter morning in New England and have to spend 30 minutes getting one ready to drive. It is easier to grow flowers outside, get a sun tan and drive an old car in Los Angeles in January than it is in New England. I'm sure engine block heaters sell as well in Los Angeles as bikini's in Nome.

The beauty of PLYMOUTH'S are that they need very little. My car doesn't leak oil, it hardly burns any oil, and it gets about 16-18 miles to the gallon and is still a 6-Volt car. The older the car is, yes, the more work it will need! You mention "Shade tree mechanics"... funny, I'd love to see any one fix a modern car like that! With an old car, if you brake down, there are way fewer things to go wrong, it’s more likely you’ll get back on the road again and it's not so hard to pin point the problem! Such a basic an simple design these old MoPar’s have it’s just great! And one will not shut down on you because a .50c computer chip goes bad and costs $100 to replace!
My Town Car and Navigator only needs the oil changed. And I can get up any morning at 0 degrees and she'll start right up. Rarely do I have to put a heater on the block for her, or wrap the windows in an electric blanket. My '63 Continental stays in the garage from November to April. When I have enough saved for that '41 Continental she'll be parked in the garage also for the winter.

Roger

A-List Customer
I remember these

Wild Root said:
Speaking of making a car today that looks mostly like an old car, I thought I’d defend my ideals by presenting the 1980 Shay Model A’s that Ford made. They made a limited run of these cars but, most if not all I know of are still road worthy. They were a rather big hit and are great because, they still have parts for them and they’re more reliable then the originals.

Food for thought.

1980-Ford-Shay-Model-A-Replica-Grey-Sidemounts-dh.jpg

=WR=
They were based on the Pinto/Mustang II platform with a the SOHC 135 cubic inch four and four speed transmission. Ford still makes that engine in it's Focus and Rangers. :cheers1:

It is amaising, how today, a modern car lasts so long without need for repairs. My Nissan Pickup 1997 has the 2.4L engine and nearly 170,000 miles on it. Other than tune ups, oil changes and regular maint. I have only had to replace the alternator and an oil pressure sender switch. And the battery! The next thing is the windsheild washer pump. But it is very reliable, and I know several people that have similar models that have 240k or more miles and are still reliable.

The change in materials, the precision of manufacturing and the continual upgrade of lubricating oils and greases have had an astonishing impact in improved performance and longevity of vehicles. Motor oils are so much better than those of just a few years ago, and as we all know changing the oil at the reccomended intervals does more to improve the life of the engine.

Our car companies have made some cool retro steps, like the PT Cruiser, the last Thunderbird even the latest Mustang. But to go back to a 40's or earlier vehicle is asking a lot! Morgan stayed with clamshell fenders for a long time!

Out here you will find that as it necomes diffecult to fix the older cars enterprising home mechanics take to replacing engine and driveline with later componants that are easier to get.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:

Obviously, Roger someone who has owned a vintage car for nearly two years and has put a few miles on one and has never broken down yet... (knock on wood) don't mean a hill of beans in your book I guess. Once again, you know everything! I have friends in the west and know of guys on the east who drive these daily when weather permits. Most of them keep them locked up for the winter until the ice and snow melts.

Sorry, I guess I'll keep wasting time and money on driving a real car!

=WR=

Do you have seat belts in your car? They're obiviously something you would have had to install yourself. At one newspaper I worked at I liked to go through the negative archives that dated back to the 1930s. There were tons of car accident pictures that were marked on the negative sleeve as being fatal. The cars really didn't show too much damage to them (apparently from being built so well), so I guess the people were thrown out through the windshield or something. If you were ever hit head on what do you think would happen to you?

Wild Root

Gone Home
I never said anything about a 40's car being safer to drive now did I? I have seen many photos and cases of cars crashing in the 30's 40's and 50's. I understand very much the power of one of these cars hitting each other. It's not pretty and it's rather scary.

I live in California where it never gets colder then 32oF in the winter. I wouldn’t want some one to drive a vintage car every day in your area! It would be a waste. My car starts good, drives great because I live in a warm climate and I've only had to ad oil TWICE over the span of my ownership. I also only had to ad water to the radiator once! You have to admit, for a 60 year old car, that's pretty darn good.;) Also, in a parking lot, a guy backed into my car. Left a dent on his but my car wasn't even harmed! They're tough in small cases like this. But if I were to be traveling at 50+ and hit a parked car, yeah, not good! I'm going to lose.

I'm not saying that 40's cars are safer or more practical then the newest models rolling off the line today, no I'm only saying that they're simpler to fix and on an average cheaper to fix. Last year I had the rear springs, shackles and bushings replaced, now with the price of parts and labor, it came out to 500 bucks! Two years ago, I had my timing belt go out on my 1988 Mazda 929, it cost me over 700. bucks to get that fixed!!! I just about died! It was mostly all labor to get the junk off to get at the motor! Sorry, no thanks, I'm a simple man so, I'll drive a simple car.

Some say that an earlier styled car wouldn't sell today if made correctly, what? No body saw the 1980 Shay? That's earlier then a 40's car and they sold them rather well. I think it would work and like I also stated it wouldn't be marketed to the average consumer.

Any way, I'm off my soap box but, just remember, I'm not a blind child in a love affair of old cars. I know what could happen and I find driving an old car will make a good driver an even better driver.;)

=WR=

Lets talk about OUR favorite cars of the golden era! That's why we're here.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ