Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
I live in California where it never gets colder then 32oF in the winter. I wouldn’t want some one to drive a vintage car every day in your area! It would be a waste.

=WR=

Lets talk about OUR favorite cars of the golden era! That's why we're here.;)

I don't understand what you mean by 'a waste.' You think I would be destroying a perfectly good vintage car by driving it in the snow and getting road salt on it? Heck, I don't even own a car...walk, bike, public transportation are all I need. But if I decided to buy a one my 'favorite cars of the golden era'....I actually think it would be a 1950 Ford or a 1949 Hudson...I'd still drive it year round. My life isn't dependent on a car so I wouldn't see a problem in doing that.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Quigley Brown said:
I don't understand what you mean by 'a waste.' You think I would be destroying a perfectly good vintage car by driving it in the snow and getting road salt on it? Heck, I don't even own a car...walk, bike, public transportation are all I need. But if I decided to buy a one my 'favorite cars of the golden era'....I actually think it would be a 1950 Ford or a 1949 Hudson...I'd still drive it year round. My life isn't dependent on a car so I wouldn't see a problem in doing that.

Well, I find it would be some of a waste because, those very elements will rust an old car quicker then you could blink. There are things you could do to the under side of a vintage car to keep it from rusting into oblivion and there are those who will wash the underside of a car through out the winter so it would knock off all the sludge and snow and mud. Quigley, say you bought your favorite car (1950 Ford or 1949 Hudson which is one of my favorites too) I'd take my hat off to you for driving a car like that all year! To keep a car like that safe, you may have to have good garage to keep it in when you're not driving.;) It would take a lot more dedication and attention to your car in more dramatic weather climates such as the east and mid west.

=WR=

Roger said:
Ever see accident scene photo's from the 1940's? Passengers thrown through the windshield, concussions caused by the impact of wacking ones head on a metal dash and steering wheel, blood every where. Just the law of physics will cause a new Toyota to crumble when hit by a 40's car. The older car had no crumble zone. It would be like impaling any piece of sheet metal with a rod.

Yep cars like this are real safe today:
bad520.jpg

Gee, that crumple zone sure saved those people's lives---NOT!:rolleyes:

Compared this to this 1956 Chevy crash test into a solid block of concrete---several thousand pounds by the way:
1956-Crash-Test.jpg

Gee, where do I go buy a 1956 Chevy so I can get a "concussion caused by the impact of wacking ones head on a metal dash" instead of dying as an integral part of the entire car. Boy that Saturn sure looks safe when simply hitting the divider and that pole. :rolleyes:
Crumple zones are a lie thought up by car companies to meet the CAFE standards. The cars are lighter and smaller so they meet the CAFE standards more easily. Most recently (2005) the studies tell us that larger SUVs are the safest cars in a car crash. Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Well, I find it would be some of a waste because, those very elements will rust an old car quicker then you could blink. There are things you could do to the under side of a vintage car to keep it from rusting into oblivion and there are those who will wash the underside of a car through out the winter so it would knock off all the sludge and snow and mud. Quigley, say you bought your favorite car (1950 Ford or 1949 Hudson which is one of my favorites too) I'd take my hat off to you for driving a car like that all year! To keep a car like that safe, you may have to have good garage to keep it in when you're not driving.;) It would take a lot more dedication and attention to your car in more dramatic weather climates such as the east and mid west.

=WR=

In all honesty...if I ever did purchase one of those cars I'd protect it and probably wouldn't drive it in the snow (well...maybe once).

winterstreet.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Quigley Brown said:
In all honesty...if I ever did purchase one of those cars I'd protect it and probably wouldn't drive it in the snow (well...maybe once).

winterstreet.jpg

Ah, nothing like having the top down on a nice snowy day with your dog! You two make quite the pair! Can't think of nicer weather then that to go for a drive;)

I like your Photoshop work, its great!

JP, my thoughts exactly. Now, these old cars don't have safety belts but, if one was to put them in a vintage car, you'd be rather safe in one of these old cars if you're restrained. My self, I don't drive fast enough to really fear so, yeah, that's just me.;) I'm a risk taker I guess.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
49-51 Merc.

Yep, I have a friend with one beautiful '49 Mercury. It's a product of a meticulous restoration and is just one beautiful car to see and drive. It even has the early "refrigerator" styled door handles! It's a two door sedan and it's just as clean as I'll get out!

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Roger said:
Gee, where do I go buy a 1956 Chevy so I can get a "concussion caused by the impact of wacking ones head on a metal dash" instead of dying as an integral part of the entire car. Boy that Saturn sure looks safe when simply hitting the divider and that pole. :rolleyes:
Crumple zones are a lie thought up by car companies to meet the CAFE standards. The cars are lighter and smaller so they meet the CAFE standards more easily. Most recently (2005) the studies tell us that larger SUVs are the safest cars in a car crash. Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

I would say that visually comparing those two pictures provides absolutely no insight as to the relative safety of the two cars.

I will say though, that in general the way cars used to be built with rigid chassis and no "crumple zone" or collapsing steering column, etc was just NOT as safe as the modern method. Any putative safety benefit of an older car will mainly just be from its size and weight, because in general larger, heavier cars are safer than smaller, lighter cars.

But if you compare a vintage car from 1956 with a car of equal wheelbase and weight from today, the modern car will certainly beat the 1956 car for passenger safety and survivability in different kinds of accidents.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
The 56 chevy is my favorite car and that picture above is about the saddest thing I have seen....what a waste of a perfectly good 210 model. They could have least taken the chrome off and saved it.

Oh well, my hat is off for this one.

mark the shoeshine boy

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah yes, the Buick Y! Such a classy car, I feel if Buick made a run of them today, they'd sell out before the first one rolled off the line!;)

I know I'd sell my own Grandmother for one!:p

=WR=

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
My favorite? No doubt it's the 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow, it's simply incredible.

Only four or so survive, and they go for 1.5 million, but it's simply the best.

As for dream cars I can actually get, any Packard from 1931-1949 will do.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"In my merry Oldsmobile!"

Welcome, Johnny! In 1953 I was working at an Oldsmobile dealership in Omaha, Nebraska. I drove models like this everyday. If I try real hard I can still smell those leather seats! One heck of a car. Also, that looks like Francot Tone in your avatar. Haven't thought of him in years. As Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner