Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Ghostsoldier said:
I'm with BruceTracy...I've always had an affinity for Batman's animated Batmobile...
tasbatmobile.jpg

:eusa_clap :arated:
When I first saw the Cadillac 16 concept car, it kind of reminded me of that Batmobile. What do you think?
cadillac_16.jpg

Max Grody

New in Town
I love the '49 Buicks, specifically the Roadmasters, more specifically the jet back. My brother and I swapped off a 49 Super 4 door for over a decade and restored it to about a #2 condition before selling it off.

Also, the MG TA/B/C/D/E, etc. The D was my favorite of the bunch.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Your car is insane.

Just the originality of it. Juxtaposed to the other cars in the lot.

You like as I do: stock, unrestored and usable.

StraightEight said:
Ask and ye shall receive. Torpedoes away!
(Sapphire, those are some beautiful old cars, by the way)

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

My pal Mark at the wheel.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
JimInSoCalif said:
The last Cords were built in 1936 and 1937 and were the 810 and 812 model. They were the same except the 812 had a supercharger. I had a pal who drove one when I was a young teen and they are one of my all time favorite cars still.

I usually don't reply to my own posts, but I have a bit of an error above. The 1936 Cord was an 810 and it was called an 812 in 1937. It was the same car, in fact, some left over '36 cars were sold as an 812 - a practice that was also used my some British imports in the 60s and 70s.

The supercharged cars can be identified by the chrome exhaust pipes that went from the side of the hood to the fender. This was done in most, and perhaps all, supercharged cars from Auburn, Cord, and Dusenberg.

About 3,000 Cords were built in 1936 and 1937 which were the last two years of auto production for the company. I was surprised when I found out that about 10% of them were right hand drive models for countries that drive on the wrong side of the road. :)

Another bit of trivia: In 1948 Preston Tucker attempted to become an auto manufacturer - you may have seen the movie 'TUCKER: The Man and His Car' with Jeff Bridges' - making a rear engined rear drive car. Only 51 cars, including the test mule were built of which 48 still exist. Most of the early cars, if one may use early in reference to part of only 51, used the transmission/differential, what we today call a transaxle, from the front engined front wheel drive Cord.

Cheers, Jim.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
JimInSoCalif said:
I usually don't reply to my own posts, but I have a bit of an error above. The 1936 Cord was an 810 and it was called an 812 in 1937. It was the same car, in fact, some left over '36 cars were sold as an 812 - a practice that was also used my some British imports in the 60s and 70s.

The supercharged cars can be identified by the chrome exhaust pipes that went from the side of the hood to the fender. This was done in most, and perhaps all, supercharged cars from Auburn, Cord, and Dusenberg.

About 3,000 Cords were built in 1936 and 1937 which were the last two years of auto production for the company. I was surprised when I found out that about 10% of them were right hand drive models for countries that drive on the wrong side of the road. :)

Another bit of trivia: In 1948 Preston Tucker attempted to become an auto manufacturer - you may have seen the movie 'TUCKER: The Man and His Car' with Jeff Bridges' - making a rear engined rear drive car. Only 51 cars, including the test mule were built of which 48 still exist. Most of the early cars, if one may use early in reference to part of only 51, used the transmission/differential, what we today call a transaxle, from the front engined front wheel drive Cord.

Cheers, Jim.

The inspiration for the Batmobile....the real McCoy...as scene at the Art Deco Exhibition a lot of Loungers visited last year in Melbourne Australia (aka Bleak City).

I was surprised when I found out that about 10% of them were right hand drive models for countries that drive on the wrong side of the road. :) nyuk nyuk nyuk...lol

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Jay Leno has a very nice car collection which he shares with us at:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/garage/index.shtml

He has cars from the Golden Era and just about every other era. Unlike some collectors he drives all of them and unlike some sites he has videos describing the cars and showing them being driven. Each video is around five minutes as I recall.

I have never watched his TV show, but I have really enjoyed the videos at his web site - I think you might also.

Cheers, Jim.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I'm with Twitch: a 1957 Olds.

Mine was a Super 88 coupe, 4-barrel carb, 371 cubic-inch engine. In the words of Howling Wolf, "I'm built for comfort, not for speed." I never liked sports cars or going fast. Life is too short anyway; may as well slow down and look out the window. I loved the way that big car sat and hugged the road. Half the chrome in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia when the ore was mined) was on the dashboard. Every other car is just transport after that dream. I sold it to pay for my first year of grad school back in the mid-80's. No regrets, just good memories.

If I could have ANY car, it would be a 1960 Chevrolet Impala Convertible Either Red or White with a white top and red or black interior (houndstooth as it came from the factory. 348 Big Block Motor with the tri-power (3-2 barrel carburetors) and a Powerglide transmission, bone stock of course.

chevrolet-impala-1960-1.jpg

impala.jpg

1932 Ford Deuce coupe

042.jpg

1957 Chevy Bel-Air, or a 1958 Olds, or a 1959 Caddy would also be high on the list.

barra063

Familiar Face
fx_holden.jpg

Some great old cars are being posted here and it is definately making me jealous.

As an Australian I would love an FX holden. Not the most aesthetically pleasing car in the world but as this is the first truly Australian car I would love one for the historical aspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot