Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Christmas movies

Imahomer

Practically Family
Grant Fan said:
I agree the remake was awful, and to be honest I neer even thought that the original needed to be colorized

I really don't have as big a problem as some people do when B&W movies are colorized. I love the B&W aspect, but it still amazes me that they can colorize an entire movie.

Retro66

New in Town
Classydame said:
A couple of my favorites, Beyond Tomorrow (Christmas) with Harry Carey, C. Aubrey Smith and Charles Winninger and A Christmas in Connecticut.

Harry Carey is one of my favorite character actors and Dennis Morgan is a doll.

Oh my goodness!! :eek: Good call, Dame...:eusa_clap

C. Aubrey smith is brought up in a hat forum..
What a magical place this is...:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
How could we forget???

I can't believe I didn't think of this before. Who could ever forget that great classic "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" from 1964? Starring the immortal Pia Zadora. Actually, it's a very cute movie. They used a lot of veteran New York comedy actors. Ludicrously cheap sets and costumes. But it's really more fun than you would expect.

bd3

New in Town
In no particular order

my favorites are:

Miracle on 34th Street with Edmund Gwenn, John Payne, and Maureen O'Hara
Its a Wonderful Life
Holiday Inn
White Christmas
The Bishops Wife
The Santa Clause and The Santa Clause 2 from modern times

Its going to be sacrilege here but I do not like A Christmas Story. I didn't like it when I was a child either. I always found Ralphie annoying.

WH1

Practically Family
My list isn't very unique:
A Charlie Brown Christmas (also have/love the Vince Giraldi Soundtrack)
A Christmas Story
Scrooged
Stubby Pringle's Christmas, a made for TV movie from 1978 not seen very often unforunately, from the book by Jack Schaeffer, I received the book when I was 10 and have read it every christmas since. It was fun reading it to my sons and I look forward to the day I get to read it to grandchildren (not too soon though)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A Claymation Christmas

Here's one of my favorites, and I've only seen it once, almost 20 years ago. The only reason I watched it was because I was too tired to change the channel. But it turned out to be priceless.

A Claymation Christmas

Each year at Christmas we drive about 25 miles to visit "A Summer Place" to watch 'it's a Wonderful Life' in the old time movie theater(Good buttered popcorn!)...after hamburgers & banana splits at the diner. Check it out...http://www.asummerplace.org/

100_0735.jpg

100_0731.jpg

100_0742.jpg

100_0744.jpg

HD

Duck

Practically Family
Hands down - Holiday Inn
Followed by White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Love Actually
The Man Who Came To Dinner
White Christmas
Nestor The long Eared Christmas Donkey
Just about anything by Rankin and Bass

funneman

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I can't believe I didn't think of this before. Who could ever forget that great classic "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" from 1964? Starring the immortal Pia Zadora. Actually, it's a very cute movie. They used a lot of veteran New York comedy actors. Ludicrously cheap sets and costumes. But it's really more fun than you would expect.

This is so funny.

I was just logging in here to add that movie when I saw your post. I bought this movie on DVD and watch it with the kids every year!

BTW that's Jamie Farr (from M*A*S*H) as Pia's sidekick.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Big fan of "Man Who Came To Dinner", even though the Christmas setting is really incidental to the story. We did it as our senior play when I was in high school (I played long-suffering Maggie), and did it as a period piece -- which meant I got to explain who all the characters were actually supposed to be.

We're showing "Wonderful Life" on the big screen this coming Tuesday as our annual fundraiser for the local community chest, and I'll be doing the introductory talk.

Every year we show a classic holiday film, and I have to say the strongest response we've gotten was the year we showed "A Christmas Story." We hadn't announced the title in advance, so people had no idea what they were going to see when they bought their tickets. As soon as the opening titles appeared on the screen, they gave a standing ovation -- and all during the picture they were shouting out the dialogue and comments to the characters, in a sort of participatory "Rocky Horror Christmas Story" kind of way. It was fascinating to see how deeply this film has worked its way into people's minds.

Flivver

Practically Family
I guess you can count me among the fans of "A Christmas Story". I used to listen to Jean Shepherd on WOR radio when I was a teen back in the late 1960s and have been a fan of his humor ever since. In fact, since we're getting another snowstorm today, and I'm stuck in the house, I think I'll watch it today.

But I also like "Meet Me In St. Louis". While not a Christmas movie, it does have a great Christmas scene near the end of the movie. And the combination of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition and Judy Garland in her prime is irresistable to me.

While I remembered that the first Die Hard movie is a Christmas movie, I had forgotten that the first Lethal Weapon movie is also a Christmas movie too.

Murdock: "Ay ay ay- Riggs."

Some favorite action movies set during the Christmas season.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Silent Night

My dad I and watched this movie last night. American and German soldiers have Christmas dinner in a German woman's house during the Battle of the Bulge. Based on a true story.

Decodence

A-List Customer
#1, A Christmas Story. Probably watched 150-200 times per year in my house. Daughter and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

DSC_0643%20(Large).JPG

#2, The Bishop's Wife.
#3, Its a Wonderful Life.
#4, Miracle on 34th St.
#5, Christmas in Connecticut
#6, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Animated, not the travesty which was Jim Carey)
#7, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (Claymation)
#8, Charley Brown Christmas
#9, Frosty The Snowman (animated)
#10, Christmas Carol (1930s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran