Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

I was out a bit ago and saw and Aero Chocolate bar (I got the mint one) and remembered that in some thread awhile back, Lizzie had recommended it, so I'm posting here, but maybe this belongs in another thread.

That said, darn good chocolate bar - simple milk chocolate taste (smooth not crumbly) and a good hit of mint. Better than most comparably priced American bars (Aero is made in the UK). While risking turning this into a US / Europe thing, I find that I tend to like European chocolate more because they are less sweet than their American counterparts.

That said, American or European, chocolate is a good comfort food.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I was out a bit ago and saw and Aero Chocolate bar (I got the mint one) and remembered that in some thread awhile back, Lizzie had recommended it, so I'm posting here, but maybe this belongs in another thread.

That said, darn good chocolate bar - simple milk chocolate taste (smooth not crumbly) and a good hit of mint. Better than most comparably priced American bars (Aero is made in the UK). While risking turning this into a US / Europe thing, I find that I tend to like European chocolate more because they are less sweet than their American counterparts.

That said, American or European, chocolate is a good comfort food.

We love Aero bars too, chocolate and mint. Can you get the extra thick ones in NYC (Aero is widely available in Canada)?

We love Aero bars too, chocolate and mint. Can you get the extra thick ones in NYC (Aero is widely available in Canada)?

What is this "extra thick" one of which you speak? So far, I have found it hard to even find a regular Aero bar, but I am now quite intrigued by an "extra thick" one. So my answer is, I will start looking for it, but the number of stores that carry them at all here in the US seems small and the selection, when they do carry then, seems limited. My guess is that I will be searching for a long time for an "extra thick" one.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
What is this "extra thick" one of which you speak? So far, I have found it hard to even find a regular Aero bar, but I am now quite intrigued by an "extra thick" one. So my answer is, I will start looking for it, but the number of stores that carry them at all here in the US seems small and the selection, when they do carry then, seems limited. My guess is that I will be searching for a long time for an "extra thick" one.

Not sure if this link will work:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mfljzNzgcqg/TjcewMVdjyI/AAAAAAAABYE/FHYsK_dbu2o/s1600/DSCF0412.JPG

This is a specialty item in Canada too. We actually changed the shape of ours from the bar-like segments to "bubbles".

Not sure if this link will work:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mfljzNzgcqg/TjcewMVdjyI/AAAAAAAABYE/FHYsK_dbu2o/s1600/DSCF0412.JPG

This is a specialty item in Canada too. We actually changed the shape of ours from the bar-like segments to "bubbles".

Linked worked and oh brother that looks good. The bar I just had (and am thinking about going out and buying more of right now, but will definitely do it tomorrow) was not as thick as that. A good rail system and Aero chocolate (extra thick) - nothing wrong with our neighbor to the north.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the '70s, Aero, or something very similar to it, was sold in the US under the ridiculous name "Choco-Lite." It was almost, but not quite, as good as the Canadian Aero, which I presume is similar to the British version. The last Aeros I had, last fall, were the new "bubble" style. A bit denser than the old version, I think.

Canadian Kit-Kats are better than US Kit-Kats, and I'm not sure why. But they definitely are.

Doner-kebab is huge in Nova Scotia for some reason. It's pretty much the Official Street Food of Halifax.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Rice pudding. You have to know how to make it, you can't buy good rice pudding. Pudding cups try to pass off vanilla pudding with rice in it, that is the worst. But, home made rice pudding is delicious comfort food and healthy too.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I remember when I first came around here I was really excited to see all sorts of threads about AERO this and AERO that. Imagine my disappointment when it was just a lot of yapping about leather jackets.

Be careful LizzieMaine...they're right in the next room & they might hear you !

Those fellers get mighty touchy about their leather skins ! :eeek:

I remember when I first came around here I was really excited to see all sorts of threads about AERO this and AERO that. Imagine my disappointment when it was just a lot of yapping about leather jackets.

When I tried to find the thread in which we first started talking about the Aero chocolate bar, all the searches lead me to the Aero jackets - which I knew nothing about. That's why I finally just posted here and gave up on finding the original thread.

Sometimes I like a little fresh snack:
21983836gz.jpg

;) ;) ;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I don't eat a lot of chocolate bars, but on the rare occasion, in addition to the aforementioned Aero (and Kit Kats, now sadly in new packaging, I miss the tin foil wrapper), this is one of my favourites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispy_Crunch

As mentioned, it was briefly available in the US, and as I recall was initially wildly popular, but alas is now one of the culinary differences that separates us.

I don't eat a lot of chocolate bars, but on the rare occasion, in addition to the aforementioned Aero (and Kit Kats, now sadly in new packaging, I miss the tin foil wrapper), this is one of my favourites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispy_Crunch

As mentioned, it was briefly available in the US, and as I recall was initially wildly popular, but alas is now one of the culinary differences that separates us.

I remember seeing that one but not trying it. How does it compare to a Hershey's Krackle or Nestle Crunch?

Re packaging, I still can't abide that Hershey did away with the foil wrapper inside the paper sleeve for its Hershey miniatures and, instead, now uses one foil wrapper designed to look like the old two wrapper one. The two wrapper combo was part of the fun of that particular candy when you were a kid (or a simple minded adult like me).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember seeing that one but not trying it. How does it compare to a Hershey's Krackle or Nestle Crunch?

Re packaging, I still can't abide that Hershey did away with the foil wrapper inside the paper sleeve for its Hershey miniatures and, instead, now uses one foil wrapper designed to look like the old two wrapper one. The two wrapper combo was part of the fun of that particular candy when you were a kid (or a simple minded adult like me).

Interesting that Crispy Crunch still has nuts in it. Both Crunch and Krackel originally contained crushed nuts along with the Rice Krispies, but these were eliminated during the war and never reinstated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran