Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

I found that they have gotten smaller and less tasty over the years. Stupid public wants less sugar etc. It is CANDY. Make it taste like candy darn it! Otherwise it tastes like lard and butter. :puke:

Yeah, I feel the chocolate has gotten waxy, if that makes sense.
Kit Kat and Twix have really suffered, as well as one of my favorites, Baby Ruth.
:rant:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Interesting that Crispy Crunch still has nuts in it. Both Crunch and Krackel originally contained crushed nuts along with the Rice Krispies, but these were eliminated during the war and never reinstated.

Originally developed by Canadian chocolate and candy maker Neilsen's (bought out by Cadbury in the 80s), the recipe was apparently changed in the 90s, less salty, more nutty and sweeter. It is still a peanut-brittle style confection.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of chocolate candy contains "confectioner's wax," which is basically a food-grade equivalent to the caranuba wax you find in a can of Simoniz or Turtle Wax. Some manufacturers even use plain old paraffin, just like the Essowax your grandmother used to can vegetables. Yummy.

Beware also of any candy product that advertises a "chocolaty" coating instead of a "chocolate" coating. "Chocolaty" means they're chisleling you by using so little actual cocoa butter in the product that it no longer meets the legal definition of chocolate. Three cheers for the Boys and their accomplices in the food-science labs.

Last edited:
Beware also of any candy product that advertises a "chocolaty" coating instead of a "chocolate" coating. "Chocolaty" means they're chisleling you by using so little actual cocoa butter in the product that it no longer meets the legal definition of chocolate. Three cheers for the Boys and their accomplices in the food-science labs.

And if you ever grab a bag of cookies that contain "chocolate flavored chips", put it back and keep moving.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
After a visit to the dentist. I went to my local ice cream shoppe & picked up my order of dark chocolate
ice cream with malt powder (no chocolate syrup). While this was on the blender, I went next door &
ordered a double cheeseburger with bacon & a side order of onion rings . :D

After a visit to the dentist. I went to my local ice cream shoppe & picked up my order of dark chocolate
ice cream with malt powder (no chocolate syrup). While this was on the blender, I went next door &
ordered a double cheeseburger with bacon & a side order of onion rings . :D
Okay, now you're just making me hungry. :essen:

For those of you who remember our Aero Chocolate Bar discussion from a few pages back, I recently got back from a meeting and picked this up on the way (stopped in to grab a soda in a store and this jumped out at me):

Haven't tried it yet - saving it for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, but thought other would enjoy seeing it / might have already had it.

All that said, I am alway suspicious of "brand expansion" or whatever the "Boys in Marketing" (trademark protect by Lizzie) call it as most efforts are forced and weak. That said, occasionally, they get it right as God was looking down from above when Oreo came out with the Double Stuff Oreo and I no longer had to create my own version which I had been doing for years. Most of the rest of the Oreo band extension has been nothing more than a cloying gratuitous money grab - but long live the Double Stuff Oreo.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That said, occasionally, they get it right as God was looking down from above when Oreo came out with the Double Stuff Oreo and I no longer had to create my own version which I had been doing for years. Most of the rest of the Oreo band extension has been nothing more than a cloying gratuitous money grab - but long live the Double Stuff Oreo.

My husband just brought home single stuffed oreos. Single stuffed. He denies knowing that double stuffed exist.

I wouldn't be so upset if I wasn't 8 months pregnant and oreos with velveta weren't my current gross craving. ;) (I'm not really upset, but my husband said I made my point to always buy double stuffed.)

My husband just brought home single stuffed oreos. Single stuffed. He denies knowing that double stuffed exist.

I wouldn't be so upset if I wasn't 8 months pregnant and oreos with velveta weren't my current gross craving. ;) (I'm not really upset, but my husband said I made my point to always buy double stuffed.)

I have to defend your husband here. Double stuffed, while it sounds great, just throws off the whole cookie/filling ratio. I suppose pregnancy causes all kinds of cravings, but double stuffed Oreos just ain't right.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have to defend your husband here. Double stuffed, while it sounds great, just throws off the whole cookie/filling ratio. I suppose pregnancy causes all kinds of cravings, but double stuffed Oreos just ain't right.

He'll be glad to know he has your support. ;)

Although he actually said to me, "can't you take them apart and stick them back together?"

No. Just no.

Don't mess with the pregnant lady's cookies. Particularly when you share 50% of the responsibility for her current condition.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
He'll be glad to know he has your support. ;)

Although he actually said to me, "can't you take them apart and stick them back together?"

No. Just no.

Don't mess with the pregnant lady's cookies. Particularly when you share 50% of the responsibility for her current condition.

I'm with you on this one. My wife will occasionally bring home the basic Oreo and my boys (NOT the ones from marketing, my children) will even roll their eyes and await my speech. I think that the ratio is actually ideal with the Double and I don't feel the need to take it apart.

In terms of the chocolate discussion, we are in a world wide cocoa shortage, so it's going to be stretched even thinner and there will be some truly awful products on the shelves in the next few years.

In my 20s, some of my customers included M&M Mars and Hershey, and I spent hours at a time in their factories. (and yes, eating chocolate as it came right off the production line) The decline in chocolate quality is real and it's terrible. Hershey Special Dark is still pretty tasty but most of the big producers just keep taking more and more cost out of their chocolate, and that's basically chocolate and milk. It's a shame.

Last edited:
I'm with you on this one. My wife will occasionally bring home the basic Oreo and my boys (NOT the ones from marketing, my children) will even roll their eyes and await my speech. I think that the ratio is actually ideal with the Double and I don't feel the need to take it apart.

In terms of the chocolate discussion, we are in a world wide chocolate shortage, so it's going to be stretched even thinner and there will be some truly awful products on the shelves in the next few years.

In my 20s, some of my customers included M&M Mars and Hershey, and I spent hours at a time in their factories. (and yes, eating chocolate as it came right off the production line) The decline in chocolate quality is real and it's terrible. Hershey Special Dark is still pretty tasty but most of the big producers just keep taking more and more cost out of their chocolate, and that's basically chocolate and milk. It's a shame.

Now that makes sense. Tightwad chocolate makers are going to find us running away from them like the plague. Making sucky chocolate:
https://youtu.be/fnyMUpPdVqw

For those of you who remember our Aero Chocolate Bar discussion from a few pages back, I recently got back from a meeting and picked this up on the way (stopped in to grab a soda in a store and this jumped out at me):

See, now I see that package and all I can think is, "Wow, Nestlé figured out a way to fill a chocolate bar with air instead of chocolate, and convinced their customers that paying the same amount for less chocolate was somehow a good thing." lol

I'm with you on this one. My wife will occasionally bring home the basic Oreo and my boys (NOT the ones from marketing, my children) will even roll their eyes and await my speech. I think that the ratio is actually ideal with the Double and I don't feel the need to take it apart...

Obviously, it is just a matter of taste / opinion, but for me, it was like Moses came down from the Temple Mount when Oreo came out with the Double Stuff. It was what I had intuitively wanted as I had been creating my own double stuff for years.

Lizzie, any thoughts on the Aero Biscuits? I tried them last night and kinda like them as they tasted more like a candy bar with some crunch in it than a biscuit with some chocolate over it. I prefer the straight Aero candy bar, but these were not bad.

See this is where you lose me. You don't take them apart because you need to, you take them apart because not doing so would be an abomination before all that is good and holy in the universe. THAT'S the way you eat Oreos! :frusty:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran