Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
It takes a lot to make me want to stay in at night and just sit in my comfys and eat.... so in that case, I'd probably not want something that would take much effort, so...

Grilled cheese.

Although recently I've developed a new twist on this --- grilled ham and cheese with mustard.

Novella

Practically Family
Ruby Slippers said:
Although on television I saw someone spreading peanut butter on apple slices, and although this sort of thing goes against my peanut butter-eating principles, I am strangely compelled to give it a go.

Sometimes it's hard to get the peanut butter to stick to the apples, but they are so tasty! I think apple-anything is pretty comforting - apple pie, caramel apples with nuts, applesauce, apple juice, cider (especially of the hot spiced variety), apple slices (with or without peanut butter!).

I find the chip/dip combination comforting too - ruffles and sour cream and onion, fritos and bean dip, tortilla chips and guacamole. And then on the sweet side homemade chocolate chip cookies work like magic for me. Then if we're talking slightly healthier comfort food I'd go for a chicken and vegetable teriyaki bowl from Tokyo Joes.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Apples and peanut butter are good, but if you are feeling the urge to cook. slice the apples thin, heat up some butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a pan and fry up the apples until they start to soften. grab a couple slices of your favourite bread, slather on the penut butter and add the sliced apple... We have a local deli who do a decent "Elvis Breakfast Sandwich" - grilled peanutbutter and banana - I take mine on multigrain bread...

Canadave

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
I was just thinking about one more thing. I haven't had a good phosphate in awhile. Is there anywhere in the Bay Area that anyone knows of where I can get one these days?

Thanks,

Jon

Sorry if this was answered later in the thread, but what is a "phosphate"?

David

Girl Friday

Practically Family
1. Refried beans, home made flour tortillas (with lots of butter!)

2. Chips and salsa

3. Home made mac and cheese

4. Tomato soup with lots of garlic powder and extra sharp cheddar cheese, with popcorn floating on top.

And of course a Bloody Mary!

Jazzman64

New in Town
1) French Onion Soup

2) Simple roast chicken

3) Coq au Vin

4) Osso Buco

5) Raw Oysters with a good glass of Sauvignon Blanc

Getting hungry just writing this

Cheers
JD

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Any good old roast dinner but especially roast pork with apple sauce or roast beef with yorkshire pudding and horseradish sauce.

And Folly I agree with the bangers and mash but I'll go with pork snags and onion in the mash. Great on a cold winter's night!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
#8 combo meal at Whataburger!

Two chicken strips, fries, Texas toast, gravy and a coffee. And it all comes in a handy cardboard box. (except the coffee of course) If I ever move out of the South I don't know what I will do without Whataburger.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
#8 combo meal at Whataburger!

Two chicken strips, fries, Texas toast, gravy and a coffee. And it all comes in a handy cardboard box. (except the coffee of course) If I ever move out of the South I don't know what I will do without Whataburger.
Mmmmmmmmm! Whataburger! I totally forgot about potato, egg and cheese taquitos!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Homemade Texas chili with a little bit of sharp cheddar and sour cream on top
Cheese and crackers (cheddar and saltines)
Ginger ale
Homemade popcorn (made on the stovetop)
Cinnamon raisin toast

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I have to echo the southern fried chicken, mashed & gravy, mac & cheese sentiment. I allow myself that meal about 1x per year. That's a tasty day, let me tell you.

Also, Texas Bar-b-Que... beef brisket on pillowy white bread with Rudy's sauce.

Brooksie

One Too Many
BBQ Ribs, black eyed peas, greens (with jalopeno vinigar on top of the greens) and corn bread.

Fried hog jowels for breakfest. (Love em')

My Moms homemade chicken and noodles over mashed taters with lots o' butter.

French toast with p-nut butter, pure maple syrup & strawberrys on top, with bacon or fried hog jowels on the side.

Brooksie

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Because it's that time of year....GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! :) :) Preferrably Samoas/Caramel De-Lites, in my case. I just got 6 boxes of them. :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred