Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

Reading an article today about Frito pies (apparently Anthony Bourdain, who's a Hall of Fame a-hole anyway, got into trouble for disparaging them at a local New Mexico diner) got me thinking about comfort food. Not that I consider Frito pie comfort food, it's just the required eats on Opening Day. At any rate, after a quick search...resurrecting this thread...

Butter beans...slow cooked with ham hocks, served over rice. With onions soaked in vinegar. That's my favorite thing to eat in the whole world.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Ruby Slippers,

CHIPS AND SALSA. With ginger ale.

Either this, or peanut butter on toast. I live for peanut butter. Sometimes with Soy milk (real dairy causes discomfort).

Although on television I saw someone spreading peanut butter on apple slices, and although this sort of thing goes against my peanut butter-eating principles, I am strangely compelled to give it a go.

I have to go buy some apples next time I'm out.

For a real treat try almond butter on apples or just plain old almond butter, toast or otherwise. A lot more healthful. Get the good natural stuff not full of sugar. Yummy!

Foxer55

A-List Customer
LadyStardust,

Most recently, I have to add those big old-fashioned soft pretzels, piping hot, with a dusting of salt--Mmm! If ever there was a truly, emotionally satisfying and comforting food, they're it!

Don't forget the mustard.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I don't usually have comfort foods, because I mostly eat to live, not live to eat.
However, at this time of year it's Candy Corn and roasted almonds.
I'm currently on a low carb diet, so I can't have homemade buttermilk biscuits, or carrot cake, or pecan pie. Each one is a comfort food.
Since being on low carb, I make blueberry muffins with soy flour, that I can eat several of.
Sounds awful but they aren't bad.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I'm recovering from a migraine, the only things I can keep down are Lipton's Noodle Soup (the dried kind that comes in a foil envelope) and Humpty Dumpty's Bar-B-Q potato chips. No other brands, no other versions, no other flavors -- only those.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Too much choice really but if I was to pick one then it'd be good old cheese on toast....nice mature English cheddar with a light spreading of a small chunk homemade chutney underneath prior to grilling the cheese.

I could be here all night listing foods that I like, but I can think of only two at the moment that I'd consider "comfort" food:

Tuna. More specifically, drained, mixed with a little mayonnaise, and eaten on saltine crackers. It's not flashy, fancy, or hard to come by, but my dad worked for a cannery that prepared tuna for human and pet consumption so it's something I've eaten regularly throughout my life.

Bacon sandwiches. Again, specifically, a couple of slices of bacon between two slices of buttered white toast. From as far back as I can remember, on Sunday mornings my dad would make breakfast for all of us that consisted of eggs, bacon, and toast. Any leftover bacon and/or toast remained on the table for us to snack on throughout the day (dad always prepared extra for this purpose).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tablet: infamous/famous Scottish sweetie, made of loads of sugar, butter and condensed milk. Perfect creamy, sugary treat for this time of year. A heart attack in a small block, but what a way to go.

DesertDan

One Too Many
My mother's lasagne
My aunt's Hoppin' John
Jambalaya (cajun)
Red Chili Con Carne w/ frijoles and tortillias

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner