Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite hat stores?

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I live near seattle and I like the bernie utz hat store, it's a wonderful, century old establishment where they have both casual and fancy, inexpensive and otherwise.
What are your favorite hat stores?

stibbons

New in Town
I've only been there once, but I'm a big fan of City Hatters, in the middle of Melbourne, Australia. They've been operating out of the same premises for just under a hundred years now, and have an excellent range.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I would put in a word for Bernie Utz - I've only been in once, about 5 years ago and don't live in Washington, but it seems like a venerable hatter of old. I visited before becoming enamored of felt dress hats, and I purchased a nice ivy cap that I still wear here and there.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'll give a nod to Peters Bros. in Ft Worth, TX. I have a Montecristi and a Borsalino that I purchased from them. Nice folks in a full-service shop.
pbhats1103.jpg

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
I really have received great service from Rick over at the Executive Shop in Atlanta. They have a really great selection and Rick has always been more than happy to let me try on quite a few hats.

JP

mmccabe

New in Town
My first choice is Blue-Byrds in Kingston,NY. Nuthin' fancy, but they have a good selection and know their business. Being an upstate hick, I just love JJ Hat Center in NYC. Granted, I don't have a great point of reference yet for pricing,etc, but after years in retail, I do know customer service and they have it. Great looking store, friendly, helpful staff that know how to fit you and a hat together. It's fun, just for the experience.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I like Gary White's shop in Buffalo for ambiance, but Optimo in Chicago for the hats. Talking to Gary was probably my greatest hat-related experience. He's a really friendly and knowledgeable guy.

Neil

A-List Customer
Oh, Optimo fer shure. No other hat shop in this country is in the same league. Arguably there are other hatmakers whose product is as good, but there is no other shop where a customer can walk in and buy a hat of equal quality. In my view.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Chinaski said:
I would put in a word for Bernie Utz - I've only been in once, about 5 years ago and don't live in Washington, but it seems like a venerable hatter of old. I visited before becoming enamored of felt dress hats, and I purchased a nice ivy cap that I still wear here and there.

They are a bit more expensive than online stores but I love being able to go in and ask for a particular style/type hat and having very intelligent, hat savvy people help me find what I am looking for.

I also love brick and mortar shops because you know what you are getting. In my opinion you could have the best hat in the world for sale and a picture on the internet just wouldn't do it justice.

duggap

Banned
Steven over at Bencraft Hats is good people to do business with. He has good prices on new Borsolinos. Everything I have ordered from him I have gotten in less than a week. Besides he is a sponsor here.:eusa_clap

French

Familiar Face
Del Monaco Hatter in New Haven

They are a nice store, family owned, been in the hat business for around 100 years. I can't say enough about the patience that was shown to me when I went in a couple of years ago to purchase my first real hat.

French

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
bobalooba said:
I also love brick and mortar shops because you know what you are getting. In my opinion you could have the best hat in the world for sale and a picture on the internet just wouldn't do it justice.

The opposite is true as well. Something can look good online but leave you cold in the hand. And fitting goes without saying. Those of you who live near Optimo or some other quality hat shop are fortunate indeed. The same can be said for those of you who live in places where good vintage stores are plentiful.

leo

One of the Regulars
You guys are going to get me into big trouble! ;) I've now added new must-see attractions to my POI (Points of Interest) list. More shops to visit and hats to bring home.

Bill

barra063

Familiar Face
stibbons said:
I've only been there once, but I'm a big fan of City Hatters, in the middle of Melbourne, Australia. They've been operating out of the same premises for just under a hundred years now, and have an excellent range.

Ah the store under the clocks of Flinders street station. One of 2 must stops in Melb. A visit to see Chloe at Young and Jacksons is the other.

Rule17

New in Town
stibbons said:

I went into City Hatters for the first time today. What a great shop. I spent a happy, untroubled hour trying on hats and talking to the two staff on duty, Christian and Tess. They had the best and most interesting range I've seen in a long time.

I took some pictures and put them on Flickr, if you want more than the one here; and I'll be writing a post for my blog soon.

Didn't buy anything, though :( but going back tomorrow :eusa_clap

3599380511_3312045973.jpg

redtree00

New in Town
Bencraft

Another vote for Bencraft. I have been there three times and total damage is seven hats, great selection and very knowledgeable staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner