Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite post-2000 bands?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Been checking out everyone's posted bands on Amazon sound clips, some really amazing stuff! (Neecerie, Bland's 1980s Malaco tracks are The Coolest... got a couple in the 45 jukebox, what a great sound for a rainy night, right along with Brook Benton's Rainy Night in Georgia...)

herringbonekid said:
i was an indie-guitar kid back in the 90s, so a lot of classic indie-music is in my blood (the smiths, the fall, the pixies etc). as for current bands i like.... the white stripes, sons and daughters, clinic, the tiger lillies, dirty three, tom waits, the handsome family.

Now herringbonekid that was a really fun list to check out clips from! I'd definitely put the tiger lillies in the "WTF" category lol really like Sons and Daughters, what a unique sound, put their Love the Cup CD on the ToBuy list, still listening to the white stripes clips, thanks for a fun list

Barry said:
Also worth looking into if you enjoy blues, surf and rockabilly is Dexter Romweber (on tour now) of the Flat Duo Jets. Check out Rockin' Maybell and Tombstone Boogie.

Barry

So THAT's "psychobilly". Not anywhere near as scary as I thought it would be (had assumed that genre would be something along the lines of death metal :eek: ) - Definitely can hear Carl Perkins in there, let's go cat!

- Cousin Hepcat

Salv

One Too Many
Cousin Hepcat said:
Salv, that's great to see companies out there still making great sould music, and on vinyl 45s at that! Is Parliament's "The Clones of Doctor Funkenstein" not the coolest album cover by any band, ever...

- Cousin Hepcat
Yep, pretty damn cool
cov-clones.gif

I bought it in London as a new import and it had an order form for a T-shirt featuring the album cover, so I had to get one of those. I don't know where that T-shirt went, but I wish I still had it. And the deranged lyrics were just as cool as the album cover:

They say the bigger the headache, the bigger the pill, baby
Call me the big pill
Dr Funkenstein
The disco fiend with the monster sound
The cool ghoul with the bump transplant

Hip bone connected to my thigh bone
My thigh bone connected to my leg bone
My leg bone connected to my ankle bone
I get so hung up on bones
Dr Funkenstein here
Preoccupied and dedicated
To the preservation of the motion of hips
Microbiologically speaking,
When I start churnin', burnin' and turnin'
I'll make your atoms move so fast
Expandin' your molecules
Causing a friction fire
Burnin' you on your neutron
Causing you to scream
"Hit me in the proton, BABY!"

If you like Bobby Bland's Malaco stuff you should also try to listen to Malaco albums by Z. Z. Hill, Johnnie Taylor, Shirley Brown, Little Milton, Mosley & Johnson and Denise LaSalle. They started to sound a bit same-ey by the end of the 80's but there's some fantastic soul and blues in there. I saw Bobby Bland, Johnnie Taylor, Denise LaSalle and Mosley & Johnson on a Malaco tour of the UK in the late 80's - JT had been my first real soul hero and it was a real thrill to see him live, but BB just blew him away. JT was a fantastic showman, with that wonderful gritty voice, and in contrast BB just stood at the mic and let his BIG rich baritone fill the theatre. I saw him again recently supporting Van Morrison - I only went to see BB, never having been impressed with Morrisons voice - but he had lost a lot of his power and seemed to be coasting. Still, for a man in his 70's it wasn't a bad performance.

Barry

Practically Family
Salv said:
Yep, pretty damn cool
cov-clones.gif

Salv,

Do you like any of Keb Darge's Funk Compilations? I have a couple of the Legendary Deep Funk series. He's great digging up some really cool stuff. Again, not post 2000 - but re-relased music. :eek:fftopic:

Oh, and the New Mastersounds. :)

Barry

Salv

One Too Many
Barry said:
Salv,

Do you like any of Keb Darge's Funk Compilations? I have a couple of the Legendary Deep Funk series. He's great digging up some really cool stuff. Again, not post 2000 - but re-relased music. :eek:fftopic:

Oh, and the New Mastersounds. :)

Barry

Yes, Keb is very good at finding unknown stuff. I don't buy many funk compilations as it's the sort of music that is best heard in a small, dark, sweaty club and it never sounds the same played at home. Keb was the DJ when I saw Sharon Jones last year, and he played an excellent set, full of hopelessly obscure funk 45s.

If you don't know this already you'd probably like http://www.funk45.com/

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I have bizarre musical tastes... I am a country music aholic for starters, love Brooks and Dunn, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith etc... but, I grew up listening to classic country... Waylon Jennings, Cash, Hank Sr, Patsy Cline, love me some Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn. I'm also an avid bluegrass fan: The Stanley Brothers, Little Jimmy Dickens, Bill Monroe, Grandpa Jones... and I like modern bluegrass too, Alison Krauss, Ricky Skaggs, Mountain Heart, etc.

Then, I also loooooove punk... and I mean REAL punk, not the crap they put on the radio now. The Buzzcocks, the Ramones, the exploited, the dead kennedys, the Sex Pistols...
I also really like Rosie Thomas and Sarah Harmer... good chillout music.
And, when you're having an "I hate boys" day, you can always listen to Ani Defranco and Liz Phair. And when you're ticked off about something, there is always Anthrax and Social Dis.

I listen to different kinds of music depending on my mood, I guess!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I’m always behind the curve when it comes to music—I usually discover bands that everyone else already knows about.

That said, both of the Franz Ferdinand albums have been in heavy rotation on my iPod lately. They’ve got a great, rough sound that isn’t overly produced like some American bands that I’m also playing a lot. Like All American Rejects (Night Drive and Move Along), The Killers (Change Your Mind and Mr. Brightside), The Dandy Warhols (Bohemian Like You). All are top 40 fluff but I like them. Arctic Monkeys aren’t the second coming they’ve been hyped to be, but Fake Tales of San Francisco, Dancing Shoes and Mardy Bum are fun. I’m a huge Pulp fan (pretty much anything off of “Different Class” or “This is Hardcore” is great). Yeh Yeh by They Might Be Giants, the Max Sedgley remix of Sarah Vaughan doing the Peter Gunn theme. Also, not post 2000 but an old Aretha Franklin album called “Sweet Bitter Love” is a favorite—the title tune and Skylark particularly. Talking Heads, The Cure, Elliott Smith, Crowded House are other older choices.

Hope this helps.

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
Atomic Blonde- you know your punk rock for sure! ^5 I LOVED those bands back in the day.
I'm all over the map musically. Mostly I listen to Golden Era music and country but I still listen to these bands from my high school and college days:

the Misfits (Danzig era)
Social Distortion
Sick of it All
Guns N Roses
Zao
U.S. Bombs
Training for Utopia
The Dropkick Murphys

music Lounger's may like:
Hank Williams III (sounds just like his Grandpa)
the Jolly Beggarmen: 40 Irish drinking songs
Squirrel Nut Zippers (they SOUND so Golden Era)

edit: I was a bit of a Mighty Mighty Bosstones fan. Their cover of the OLD Angry Samoans song "Lights Out" was AWESOME. The ska bands I liked were the Suicide Machines and the Pietasters. The Hellcat records comps "Give Em the Boot" had some great Ska on them.

magneto

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Hank III is awesome!

Damn skippy! (Another case of talent skipping a generation) ;)

I'm with ya, AtomicBlonde... me, I just recently started listening to "modern"-ish music again, most of it on the bluegrass/alt-country/Americana axis. Names... I like the new/recent records by James McMurtry, Dave Alvin...liked the "comeback" Blasters album too...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
magneto said:
Damn skippy! (Another case of talent skipping a generation) ;)

I'm with ya, AtomicBlonde... me, I just recently started listening to "modern"-ish music again, most of it on the bluegrass/alt-country/Americana axis. Names... I like the new/recent records by James McMurtry, Dave Alvin...liked the "comeback" Blasters album too...
I must suggest Wayne "The Train" Hancock then to you too! Sounds alot like Hank Sr. He has a "best of" CD that is really worth picking up!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hannigan Reilly said:
Hank Williams the Third goes by "Hank III." He can't decide if he is roots outlaw country or a hellbilly punk rocker- so he plays both. hank3.com
williamsIII_1.jpg
Yup, and I've seen him do both types of shows. The "death metal" show is truly strange, but very intriguing!

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
I took a listen to Wayne Hancock on i-tunes and WOW- he sounds just like Hank. Great roots country. I haven't seen hank3 live yet- but I bet I would dig his death metal part of the show. I hope he doesn't burn out like his grandpa.

JoyfulGirl

New in Town
Cousin Hepcat said:
Any "yes" votes from loungers for any of these bands?:
- Jack Johnson
- Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Reel Big Fish
- soundtracks from Grey's Anatomy, or Garden State, or Wicker Park
- Gomez
- Death Cab For Cutie
- The Flaming Lips

I would have to say yes to all of those, except I don't know Gomez nor who's on the Grey's Anatomy or Wicker Park soundtrack.

I'm a fan of Ben Folds, Jim White, The Decemberists, Flogging Molly, The Shins, Norah Jones, Iron & Wine, The Rosebuds, Ryan Adams. I'm not sure if all of those are post-2000, but there you are.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
JoyfulGirl said:
I'm a fan of Ben Folds, Jim White, The Decemberists, Flogging Molly, The Shins, Norah Jones, Iron & Wine, The Rosebuds, Ryan Adams. I'm not sure if all of those are post-2000, but there you are.

I'll take The Deceberists, of those, and splash a little Norah Jones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot