Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

alphy27

One of the Regulars
...mmmmmm steak

A beautifully marbled ribeye grilled fast black and blue and a tall "Belgian Waffle" or a grand Bordeaux size glass of Yellowtail Shiraz-Grenache. I know what I'm gonna have for dinner!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
Very good madame. Now exactly which Delmonico would madame prefer?

Aaaand for brown sauce, we have HP, A-1, A-2, Heinz 57, and that sugary glop that goes with the Chinese beef & broccoli.

Definitely the boneless ribeye -- we used to have a very fine local meatmonger (who I knew only as "Bobby The Butcher") who offered this as his only "Delmonico" cut, and sneered and scoffed at anyone who insisted on the loin.

And as for brown sauce, HP please. It's also very good on eggs, or as a component of an excellent Welsh Rabbit.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I was once a filet only man. I've grown up, since, and while I still like a good filet, I've moved on to where a ribeye or strip have supplanted it. Over the last few months our little Friday night group has done sirloins, three will feed the lot of us. I put them on the grill and the first one on will be the last one off for the well done women while the last one on will be first off for the guys.

And it comes out quite tender for Choice or worse grades of beef. This has been a revelation.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I am very fortunate to live in the Portland area. I have become quite spoiled when it comes to steak due to the several wonderful steak houses here. When I travel I am hard pressed to find a really good steak. At most eateries I order a New York medium well.....which can be difficult for some chiefs to accomplish. Actually I think it just goes against the grain for for those that think it should be served with a turnicate....but I digress.

I love a New York and usually order one with peppercorn sauce....unless I am at Morton's. Then I order their Cajun Ribeye which is absolutely delicious.....especially with their scalloped potatos.

I am hungry now.:essen:

panamag8or

Practically Family
I don't like steak with a bone in it. I guess I'd go with a good top sirloin. They always seem to come out good on my grill, especially if the get a Dale's bath for about 5 minutes first, and some mesquite chips on the coals. (No gas!)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wesne said:
. I'll select the steak and cook it myself. I never order steak at a restaurant. When I splurge for a fancy meal, I want something I can't or won't cook on my own.
While steaks are not that difficult to cook at home, most Americans will be hard pressed to find meat of the quality served at the better steakhouses. And if you do locate a retail source, the price will be much higher than that of regular supermarket meat. In fact, the profit margin for meat at a top steakhouse is among the lowest of any food product used in the restaurant industry; though their side orders, especially the baked potato, are among the highest. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Definitely the boneless ribeye -- we used to have a very fine local meatmonger (who I knew only as "Bobby The Butcher") who offered this as his only "Delmonico" cut, and sneered and scoffed at anyone who insisted on the loin.
That'll loin 'em.
ouch.gif

kenji

New in Town
Porterhouse, rare.

You get two steaks in one: a T-bone and a filet mignon.

Filet by itself doesn't have enough body for me.

A agree that shopping for steak in a supermarket is a waste of time. I'm fortunate to have access to some nice butchers in NYC.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hm.... why am I humming a ZZ Top song? :whistling
JUST KIDDING!

I like a nice dry aged steak, medium to medium rare.
The best steak I ever had was at the Big Texan in TX. The place where if you ate that huge 96er or whatever, your meal was free or something? It was SOOOO good. Didn't get the 96er of course.

We usually buy sirloin from Sam's, my husband uses a "Kevin Rub" that he made up with anjo peppers and such, and grills outside. If it's a good cut and cooked just right, I don't want any sauce or anything on it. YUM.
Nikki

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
kenji said:
Porterhouse, rare..
My favorite, as well.

kenji said:
agree that shopping for steak in a supermarket is a waste of time. I'm fortunate to have access to some nice butchers in NYC.
You certainly can get properly dry aged beef in NYC but you will pay dearly for it and it will be beef that was rejected by local steakhouses like Peter Luger, who are at the top of the pecking order.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I grill steak, I'll fix me a couple 16 oz rib-eyes, medium. The rest of the family likes those little 8 oz rib-eyes, medium well. Any kind of beer is good with a steak (and bourbon ain't bad either). :D

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Just like to chime in with my choice of steak. A 16oz medium rare boneless Rib eye with a little Bearnaise please! Although I wouldn't say no to a nice Filet steak au poivre with a glass of Hennessy.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MissHuff said:
Just like to chime in with my choice of steak. A 16oz medium rare boneless Rib eye with a little Bearnaise please! Although I wouldn't say no to a nice Filet steak au poivre with a glass of Hennessy.

A 16oz steak? You are my kind of woman! :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Scotch fillet with Bernaise sauce, and funnily enough that is what we had for dinner tonight (washed down with a bottle of Aussie Shiraz).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner