Favorite Uniforms

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Vintage lover, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

It's a joke - or something out of Flash Gordon!:)

2. There's a reason his critics derisively called him "the Green Hornet" for a while, y'know...lol

3. Vintage lover

Vintage lover A-List Customer

Yeah, my understanding is that he submitted that uniform as a suggested replacement for the existing tank uniform.

4. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Yeah that Patton one is a bit of a shocker!

I like the hotch-potch nature of RAF operational aircrew dress during the war and their best blues when off duty always looks smart as well.

Being a Kiwi I've got a soft spot for NZ Army WWII uniform which is obviously very similar to British Army dress of the time but with the old lemon-squeezer hat.

Also partial to Indian Army getup from the Raj of the interwar and wartime period as well.

5. All in the eye of the beholder

Frankly just as theatrical as the black German wrap arounds. The football helmet is a nice touch.

6. Spanish civil war

Both sides, particularly for general officers. Officers on both sides were mostly the pre-Civil War army officers, divided by their loyalties as in other civil wars. The most visible difference was the rank insignia. Both sides' generals wore the crossed saber and baton in two locations, on the collar, with differences in the 'stars' (Republican red five pointed stars, Nationalist gold four pointed) and on the skeeves/cuffs (Republicans, same as the collar but larger and just above the cuff; Nationalist same as the collar but larger and on the cuff).
    Here:
    Franco/Nationalist: http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/BE081989.html
    Miaja/Republican: [http://www.euskomedia.org/aunamendi/95617
    The Republican soldiers and even officers wore a hodge-podge of uniforms, and even civilian clothing. The Nationalists were generally better supplied with kit.
    What makes the 'regulation' officers' uniforms appealing, to me, is their relative simplicity and utilitarian look, particularly the pointed closed collars and the simple leather or plain metal buttons. The sashes were a frill but 'Sam Browne' belts were often worn, particularly by Republican officers. I know there are Loungers with much deeper knowledge of these but that's my take.

7. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

That has to be seen in full color to be fully appreciated. Wasn't it green leather, with a gold helmet?

When you think about it, it's not that crazy. He was going for the Uhlan look. Uhlan's used to be the elite cavalry. He saw his tanks as a modern Uhlan force.

8. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

I've read a LOT on Patton, and while the Patton Tanker's uniform looks in place on any Flash Gordon set it was also well thought out and practical. The color was a green that was designed to NOT show oil stains. It was cut close to the body to not catch on anything inside the tank, and the early tanker's uniforms didn't have helmets at all. It was DASHING I suppose, but as far as I can tell, he's the only one who ever had one to wear.

Thanks filfoster, I'll look the links over. I searched on Google and didn't find a whole lot.

For sheer meanness Gestapo Maj. Hochstetter's uniform is still tops. Major Hochstetter was played by Howard Caine of Nashville TN.

Later

9. StetsonHomburg

StetsonHomburg Practically Family

I'd say (not in any order) The Late 1700's British Redcoat uniform, Late 1800's boer war uniform, German afrikakorps uniform and the german gebirgsjager uniform!

10. too much coffee

too much coffee Practically Family

Hey, I'm with you Larry.
    M-1942 jump jacket, pants, jump boots, M-1 paratroopers helmet and all the battle gear. Man, what's there not to love?
    Regards, coffee

11. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm a fan - I do like the snappier dress uniforms. On fashion tips alone, I do lean to the view that the German forces had the sharpest uniforms, closely followed by the USAAF and the RAF. Of the WW1 era, I love the uniforms of the Prussian regiments - in particular, the black leather and brass pickelhaub helmets.

Farther back in history, I am rather a fan of the uniforms of both sides in the US Civil War - more specifically those from the Eastern states where the Kepi and shorter enlisted man's jacket were more common than the longer jackets and slouch hats.

12. Adcurium

Adcurium A-List Customer

Maybe it is Urban Legend...

Didn't Hugo Boss design the uniforms for the 3rd Reich? Or am I making this up?

13. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

From Hugo Boss Wikipedia:

"Hugo Boss started his clothing company in 1924 in Metzingen, where it is still based, a small town south of Stuttgart. However, due to the economic climate in Germany at the time Boss was forced into bankruptcy in 1930. Undeterred, Hugo set up a new business and in 1931 became a member of the Nazi party. With the rise of Adolf Hitler in 1933, Boss's business also began to prosper as he became an RZM-licensed (official) supplier of uniforms to the SA, SS, Hitler Youth, NSKK and other Party organizations."

Coolest looking uniforms, worn by some of the WORST people on the face of the Earth. Of course, Hugo himself died in 1948, so I doubt that any Nazi's are still getting rich off him.

Later

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's an undisputable historical fact that they were suppliers... much like many civilian companies both within and without Germany at the time. Where a lack of clarity remains, I think, is in responsibility for the design of the uniform - c/f Roughwear, Aero, Werber, etc who manufactured A2s as distinct from the US military bod who drew up the original design specification. The persistent legend is that Hugo Boss actually designed the black Algemeine SS uniform - without a doubt the uniform most symbolic of the worst of the Nazi evils. I've never seen specific proof that this was necessarily so. It is entirely possible, especially with his party membership, though membership of the Nazi party alone doesn't necessarily mean he was politically active within the movement, bearing in mind that many people joined the party as a means of advancing themselves socially as opposed to it being an ideological commitment. Oskar Schindler, for example, was a member of the Nazi party out of sheer opportunism. Either way, it's hardly surprising that the modern company which owns the Hugo Boss trademark doesn't exactly flag this part of the brand's history!

15. There was also the M1926 Spanish helmet which resembled the German helmet except it was a bit smaller and had a more pointed shape. I've seen many pics of Republican forces, including the International Brigade, wearing them.

16. Vintage lover

Ah, good to hear from you Stetson! And I would have to agree that the Redcoat looked nice, although not the best choice if you are conducting guerrilla warfare lol.
    And a quick point to 1961MJS: I really don't think the children of the Reich had much choice in whether they joined the Hitler Youth or not.

17. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

18. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Italian State Polizia

I think hands down you have to give it to the Italian State Polizia. Not only are their uniforms designed by Armani, but they have a few Lamborghini Gallardos! Makes you almost want to be a traffic Cop!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. On the subject of who designed what uniforms, the Air Force Academy uniform was designed by the Western Costume Company in Los Angeles, suppliers to the film industry since the silent era.

20. Vintage lover

No kidding