Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Uniforms

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Spitfire: Must be the lack of uniformity and preference of a personal touch as shown by RAF fighter pilots during the Battle of Britain. Seamens/navy sweaters, pyjamas, schoolscarfs, pullovers, top button undone...everything worked.

I have to agree with that and thought about same with regards to the on board clothing worn by the U-Boat crews. It's not worn to look all nice and neat, but worn for practicality (and even one's personal identification/individuality).:)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Sgt Brown said:
The only way to beat a set of WWII Pinks and Greens is with a pair of pre-war Pinks and Greens with boots, breeches and leather Sam Brown.

Tom:beer:

Roger, that!

Except, I'd add the high collar WWI style blouse coat. The USAF actually toyed with the idea of bringing the "Mitchell Heritage coat" back, but it didn't look the same. I don't know if it was the blue color, or the modern (lack of) tailoring. It just didn't look right.

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-tailoring-uniform-to-suit-airmen-s-needs-1.49229

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060515-F-0055L-024.JPG
"Billy Mitchell"

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060515-F-0055L-005.JPG
"Hap Arnold"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gen_Merrill_McPeak_1993.jpg
They also considered a Navy style uniform, with sleeve braid. "Merrill McPeak"

cco23i

A-List Customer
We actually went with the "McPeak" style but did away with the "Navy braid", Man it stinks. We did a "heritage parade of uniforms" at the Air Force memorial dedication and the one lady who wore the "McPeak" uniform acted like a stwardess on an airliner giving her preflight briefing, it was funny as all get out. The Air Force is now to get the "Hap Arnold" coat, so more money to spend on uniforms.

Scott

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Sgt Brown said:
The only way to beat a set of WWII Pinks and Greens is with a pair of pre-war Pinks and Greens with boots, breeches and leather Sam Brown.

Tom:beer:

Yeah, pre-war Pinks and Greens all the way, and with a Campaign hat.

I also love the U.S. Army officers Dress Blue "double-breasted" uniform with mandarin collar, gold braid, and undress service cap, in use at the beginning of WWI, particularly that of the Cavalry with breeches, sash, sabre, and spurs...Although the modern U.S. Army Dress Blue uniform (single-breasted, of course) looks sharp when worn with a belt, it can't beat its pre-WWI predecessors.

In addition, Army and Marine service uniforms from the Spanish American War and Philippine Insurrection have always been a favorite of mine, especially when consisting of the khaki coat and sky-blue trousers...

The WWI Italian Bersaglieri uniforms, with soft hats and plumes, were pretty solid, as are their modern counterparts.

And let's not forget the classic French Foreign Legion parade dress uniforms with epaulletes and kepi blanc, especially when the shirt was still khaki.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
cco23i said:
We actually went with the "McPeak" style but did away with the "Navy braid", Man it stinks. We did a "heritage parade of uniforms" at the Air Force memorial dedication and the one lady who wore the "McPeak" uniform acted like a stwardess on an airliner giving her preflight briefing, it was funny as all get out. The Air Force is now to get the "Hap Arnold" coat, so more money to spend on uniforms.

Scott

The Hap Arnold coat is just like the one with the pinks and greens except it's just blue. The McPeak uniform was a joke when it came out. It looked exactly like an American Airlines uniform, no joke. It's a good thing Gen Fogelman changed it back. I just couldn't see myself in a Billy Mitchell coat.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I'd don't know...

I love the look of more ore less "historical uniforms" (as British "no 1" dress uniforms or USMC blues and the equivalent all around the world... we have some fine specimens also here in Italy);
Navy uniforms are fine too, though they look all basically the same due to British influence I guess...

on the other hand, you can't beat the simple, practical, "real life" look of modern Tsahal uniform...
greenish pants and shirts, and boots, basically, both "A" and "B" uniforms. Simple, effective and yet good looking.
Don't like the way they wore their berets, though.

Ciao!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
WW2 SAS European Theatre.

Despatch rider's boots and Joddies, Denison smock, low slung tankers holster and cherry beret to top it off. Iconic ! I'll see if I can find a photo .....

German Fallschirmjagers looked pretty cool and practical.

Dave

sharpman

New in Town
Favourite Uniforms

Apart from Officer's uniforms it has to be British or US Naval every time for me!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Naval Aviation Greens, aka "Greenwalds."
ferrerxl0-300x159.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Favorite uniform

The closed collar officer uniforms of the Spanish Civil War. Drab colors, leather buttons, red sashes for generals, who had rank on the collar and cuffs. These were very understated and very miiltary looking.

As for our own Army, the chocolates and pinks from WWII will never be surpassed.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Fletch said:
The Naval Aviation Greens, aka "Greenwalds."
ferrerxl0-300x159.jpg

It's been a while since I've seen the Cain Mutiny. But, wasn't Lt Greenwald wearing green, because he was a Marine? All be it a Marine Aviator.

LarryRalp

New in Town
Military Uniforms

Dress Uniforms are impressive, but nothing is more inspirational than the uniforms and battle gear of the 101st airborn division as they prepared for the drop at D-day!

Otium

New in Town
Not so sure

dhermann1 said:
USMC dress blues. There is no second place.

I'm going to dispute that, I was in the Marines and now am in the Navy and nothing ever has had such a positive response from the fairer sex as my choker whites. And the service dress blues still look professional and imposing both in formation and in the capitol.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
filfoster said:
The closed collar officer uniforms of the Spanish Civil War. Drab colors, leather buttons, red sashes for generals, who had rank on the collar and cuffs. These were very understated and very military looking.

Hi

Which side, I haven't seen those.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112