Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Pea Coat

RobT

New in Town
Hi; I live in the UK & have just bought a 2004 Sterlingwear peacoat, which I love. I am now looking for a WW2 4 row button coat (42R), which is hard to find. My question relates to your favourite pea coat. The forum member "Peacoat" refers to a 1965 coat as his favourite; why? and what is your favourite coat.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Hi! My only peacoat at this time is also a Sterlingwear Navy issue circa 1990.
It's the rough black wool-blend that I'm not really fond of but was able to buy for a very reasonable price. At the present time I'm looking for a coat to replace the one that was issued to me back in 1971,.... constructed of the old smoother wool,....and blue,....not black. :)

Here's an old thread that has more information on peacoats than you can ever hope to find anywhere!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4184

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

This was my favorite peacoat, but I had to sell it recently. An American model from from the World War I era:

Peacoat011.jpg

Peacoat016.jpg

Peacoat020.jpg

Peacoat017.jpg

Peacoat.jpg

STW

Familiar Face
Love those early four button peacoats too, but my favorite is the later three button type. Something about the curves they put in the flat-lying lapels makes them just right. I also like the dense wool of the earlier coats rather than the later melton cloth. I have a size 42 USN issue from 1949 that's perfect.

Edward

Bartender
I have two - one (West) German navy, estimated 1970s, "blanket" lined, i.e. ined with the same fabric as the outer shell. The other is a much more modern black one, based on the US issue garments. Both great coats, a little worn here and there but plenty serviceable. The black one kept me warm on very cold February in NYC when even the locals complained it was too cold. :lol: They haven't been worn much for a long time - Would wear them with a blazer / suitcoat, and I spent most of last inter in a B3. I'll maybe bring them out this Winter, occasionally - I do think they look good with a pair of jeans and a newsboy (not so much a fedora) - might even try a beret... Great, old school blue collar look, to my eye at least.

jwalls

Vendor
Pea coat

I picked up a Pendleton with a quilted lining today at a thrift store. I had to pay $8.00 for it. Maybe we'll have some cold weather this winter, so I can wear it. I'll post pictures tommorrow.

Peacoat

Bartender
I guess the reason the 1965 coat is my favorite is because one of my best buddies gave it to me a few years ago. I was with him the day he enlisted in the Navy back in April, 1965. It is well made with good materials, has the Kersey wool and the simple "US NAVY" tag. Both the coat and the tag appear in the "Peacoat" sticky at the top of the Outerwear section. The coat is in front of the brick siding in the picture, and the tag has the name "Hickman" on it. Those were good days--1965.

Of all of my peacoats, the 1949 has the nicest finish, so I would say it is my second favorite. I mostly alternate between wearing the 1965 coat, a Pembroke 1968 and a WWII coat. I keep the 1949 in a suit bag as it is too nice to wear on a daily basis. Occasionally I wear the original size 40, which is a bit tight these days, but still wearable. The other 15 or so peacoats get worn when I get around to them. They have to fight for time with the leather coats I also am fond of.

I am more inclined to wear leather in rain than the peacoat, although the tightly woven wool of the peacoat does a great job of shedding the rain. When it snows, I will generally take the peacoat, as I will when the temps drop below about 30F.

So, that is a long way around in telling which is my favorite peacoat.

RobT

New in Town
Many thanks for your response, Peacoat. I particularly like the style of the earlier 4 button coats but as you know, these are getting harder to find (and expensive with shipping to the UK).

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Got a good price, luckily. Ended up going to Japan, where it will probably be measured, patterned and reproduced.

"Buzz Rickson" has reporduced a similar Peacoat, but it's vintage is not the teens. It's closer to WWII. However, it has the same buttons with the stars on them, four rows of buttons and the chin strap.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Currently, I only own one Peacoat. Though, I've owned 3 of them in my life.

My current Peacoat was purchased on ebay two or three years ago. It was manufactured between 1947 and 1948 (figured this out with the help of fellow member Peacoat). It still had the red/orange "cutter"' tags stapled all over it and remained in mint/unissued condition ... not a moth nip in sight.

By 1947-1948 the Navy had already switched over to the six rows of buttons. It's a great Peacoat nonetheless.

Today's issue Peacoats are still nice, but you cannot top a beautiful vintage one.

- Ian

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Edward said:
I have two - one (West) German navy, estimated 1970s, "blanket" lined, i.e. ined with the same fabric as the outer shell. The other is a much more modern black one, based on the US issue garments. Both great coats, a little worn here and there but plenty serviceable. The black one kept me warm on very cold February in NYC when even the locals complained it was too cold. :lol: They haven't been worn much for a long time - Would wear them with a blazer / suitcoat, and I spent most of last inter in a B3. I'll maybe bring them out this Winter, occasionally - I do think they look good with a pair of jeans and a newsboy (not so much a fedora) - might even try a beret... Great, old school blue collar look, to my eye at least.

........What to wear on the head with a peacoat is always a bit of dilemma since by definition if you're wearing a peacoat it's fairly chilly. I wear mine with a beret (brown or red) sometimes but somehow it doesn't quite work......at the end of the day the only thing that really works imho is a watchcap in blue or grey teamed with jeans and stout shoes in dark brown or black.

RobT

New in Town
An interesting post. I am considering buying a Newsboy/Gatsby cap to wear with my Peacoat. Should keep me warm in the Autumn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner