Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feather people?

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
Not completely sure I am posting this in the correct space, but I am sure the mods will correct me if I am in the wrong.

I need something that is very difficult to find yet it seems to me that those with a talent for hats, particularly feathered hats might be able to help me. A big obnoxious plume of black rooster tail feathers. Does any one know of any such hat maker who like taking on odd ball projects?
Here are some pictures of what I am after.

ITBER002-A.jpg

The top of an original from WW2 in my collection.
Helmetshelmets037.jpg

The base of my original that attaches to the pith helmet, hat or steel helmet.
Helmetshelmets034.jpg

On the helmet
ItalianM19335thBersaglieri1.jpg

Bersaglieri.jpg

lecky

New in Town
That's gorgeous! Apparently these Bersaglieri plumes are Western Capercaille / Wood Grouse feathers, which makes sense with that spread slightly imitating the way grouse spread their tail feathers.. Although another source says they're Javanese Bantam Fowl. I wonder if it's the sort of project that a women's milliner would do well with?

Last edited:

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
That is what I was thinking. Seems like it would be right up their ally. Problem is, I don't know of any and was hoping some here could make a suggestion or if there was one on the forum who would be interested.

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
I've looked into doing just that, but I simply haven't the time or experience. Working from home with my own historical tailoring business and trying to take on a project I ZERO experience with seems unwise for me. I would rather leave it to some one who has an idea of what they are doing.

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
And it's been outlandish since the 1840's. I am rather fond of it myself. Very surprising to know that those big obnoxious plumes ACTUALLY work as camouflage. Having done several WW2 events, I was certain the Allies would spot me a mile away and I would be the favorite target of the weekend... They never spotted me at all!!! The feathers movement in the wind beside tall grass or even a bush works very well.

They still wear them in combat too.
bersaglieri006.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy