Fed IV v. Fed IV Deluxe

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Gilgamark, Mar 12, 2009.

1. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Correct you are, my friend.

Interesting thing about this hat. I have been wearing it for years. Rarely did I get a comment on it. Since redoing the top shortly after I joined this group a week ago, I've been getting compliments left and right. In the space of about 3 hours last night, a half a dozen people commented on this hat.

Not that that was my purpose in doing the reshaping. I do that kinda stuff for myself. Its just that I've always liked a tight pinch, and so, apparently, do a lot of other people who normally wouldnt even look twice at a hat.

2. Wil Tam

Wil Tam Practically Family

3. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues My Mail is Forwarded Here

You will not be disappointed my friend;) ;) ;) Happy birthday :cheers1:

4. Wil Tam

Wil Tam Practically Family

took my time

I had to do the research and a lot of reading ... so it took me a whole five days to take the plunge [huh]

Thanks for the b'day wishes, it's at the end of the month ... maybe it'll get to me by then lol

I'm stoked!!

----------------
    Now playing: Markets, the - Out Of Limits
    via FoxyTunes

5. xigxag

xigxag New in Town

It's a great hat. Wore it today and got lots of compliments.
    It's just an awesome color
    :D
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    [​IMG]

6. jazzncocktails

jazzncocktails A-List Customer

You're killin' me with that photo, xigxag! I just got my Tawny Fawn standard in and swore it would be my last purchase for some time...but that Moonstone's looking amazing. Damn, I need a second job!! :eek:

7. Woodfluter

Woodfluter Practically Family

Good point about those who laid out extra money tending to think they spent it well...even better point about it being a totally personal decision.

So I'll keep this as objective as possible. I don't own a Fed standard, but do have three other Akubras of Imperial felt, and I understand the difference (if any) between those and the Fed standard is finishing. I also have four Fed deluxes plus another Heritage felt Akubra (can't tell the difference between those, by the way).

Here's a visual comparison - an Imperial felt on the right with binding, a deluxe fed on the left, nearly same color.
    [​IMG]

Shrinkage:

I have deliberately tried to shrink two Imperial felt Akubras down a half size, with water and hair dryer, and it was super easy. Only problem was to not overshoot!

I have tried to shrink two Heritage felt Akubras down a half size (one Fed III, one Banjo Patterson) around the base of the crown and it was very hard. It eventually worked, but just barely after several sessions.

I have worn three of the deluxe Feds in all kinds of weather, including getting soaked through several times, and haven't seen any size change or tapering. I set the wet hat on a peg, and when it is dry, it fits exactly the same. I have done the same with a Kiandra (Imperial felt) and have to stretch it out a bit every time.

Pliability:

I've beaten up on all the Feds, on purpose. They started out kind of stiff, but ended up very soft, like a decent vintage hat. I've done that with all three of the Imperial felt Akubras, and they softened up somewhat, but still remained substantially stiffer, a bit more cowboy-hat like.

Now I hasten to add - I don't have a Fed in Imperial felt, so I may not know as much as I assume! I think they're all great hats, so don't throw stuff at me or anything! I just suspect you really do get something for the extra bucks, but what that's worth to you is really subjective and personal.

- Bill

8. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I've been notified that my Fed IV is in stock and ready to be shipped. I should have it in less than two weeks. I wish I hadnt just cut my fingernails. I have nothing to bite.

9. pauljmuk

pauljmuk New in Town

******** gotta get me mine..... it's a matter of time!:eek: