Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV v. Fed IV Deluxe

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
I'm almost positive there has been a thread on this, but I can't find it, so . . .

I ordered a moonstone Fed IV last night. I debated whether I should get the "regular" or the deluxe. I want an everyday hat, so I couldn't justify $40 for the smoother finish.

I'm on back order, so I could change to the deluxe, so I'm asking for input.

Thoughts? What's the real difference between the "regular" and the deluxe? Is the deluxe worth the extra money?

Thwack

Familiar Face
I don't have a standard to compare to. From what I've read the differences are the felt and the sweat. I hope someone who knows better can chim in about the felt but in my experience the sweat is just softer and more comfortable than any other hat I've tried on. The difference would be to compare a soft suede jacket to a rough leather belt. It makes the hat more comfortable for extended wear and produces a great sweat seal to keep it from budging against the wind. I figured if I'm going to wear this every day that I'm going to get the more comfortable hat.

Goose.

Practically Family
I don't have a standard Federation. But, the reason I did order a Deluxe was for the reason you say you're thinking of not getting one; everyday hat. My "logic" was that the implied higher end would equate to improved comfort and durability.

Having said that, I had a Sydney (AKA: Fedora) that I had for over a decade in Imperial that is still being worn quite often by the buddy I gave ot to abut a month ago (I ordered a new Sydney that fit me better) So, perhaps I'm a suckah for marketing ploys. Dunno. Do know that I love my Federation IV Deluxe.

Keep us posted on what ya decide.

TheCoolMiester started a recent thread about which Fed for your head:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=740550#post740550

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
I don't have a standard Federation. But, the reason I did order a Deluxe was for the reason you say you're thinking of not getting one; everyday hat. My "logic" was that the implied higher end would equate to improved comfort and durability.

Having said that, I had a Sydney (AKA: Fedora) that I had for over a decade in Imperial that is still being worn quite often by the buddy I gave ot to abut a month ago (I ordered a new Sydney that fit me better) So, perhaps I'm a suckah for marketing ploys. Dunno. Do know that I love my Federation IV Deluxe.

Keep us posted on what ya decide.

TheCoolMiester started a recent thread about which Fed for your head:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=740550#post740550

What Goose said.

I have no regrets spending the extra money. I love the way they feel on my head.
cool2.gif

Thwack

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
I keep reading that the Std has the same sweat as the Dlx on here. Must be because it is a special order from only one location that they use the same upgraded sweat...[huh]

I've seen a lot of those too. I always just assumed those were happy oopses

MattJH

One Too Many
Gilgamark said:
I'm almost positive there has been a thread on this, but I can't find it, so . . .

I did a search in the Hat forum with the word "Deluxe" in the subject line and found these threads comparing the Standard and Deluxe felts:

Federation IV:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=38651
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34793

Federation III:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26406
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18688

Gilgamark

A-List Customer

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I recently bought one of each. The Deluxe felt is smoother to the eye and touch. The sweatband is a nicer, softer leather that I think will last longer.

My thought of getting the Deluxe when it comes in the color I want was a good one for me. I like the carbon grey color a lot, though, so I am glad I got the std in it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Last year, when my friends bought my Deluxe at the source, they told them the Fereration Deluxe uses only the underbelly hairs and it takes eight rabbits to make a hat.

Goose.

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Last year, when my friends bought my Deluxe at the source, they told them the Fereration Deluxe uses only the underbelly hairs and it takes eight rabbits to make a hat.
Wow, some things I just don't want to know.
Easter Bunny season and now I feel so guilty :(

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I have both and cant really tell the difference in the felt. The lining is different but I would base my next purchase on price and availibilty.

MattJH

One Too Many
I've handled both the Standard and Deluxe in the Federation III version which is why I went for the Standard Federation IV in my Carbon Grey and Dark Brown. It may just be my own ignorance in identifying the quality of the hand, nap, sweat, etc. etc., but while I noticed a minor difference, it was not enough of one to justify the leap in cost. You'll also find people who'll say the exact opposite, most of which are owners of the Deluxe so they've put their money with their mouth is, so if I've learned anything about this discussion over the past few years, it's 100% up to you if it's worth it. No matter how many times different people describe the differences in the felt, you'll only know for sure which one works best for you if you handle them. And unless you're near HatsDirect itself, the only way to do that is to buy them. Bummer, right? I agree! Anyway, I love the Standard.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Just got an email from HatsDirect: the standard is out of stock in my size, but they have the deluxe. Looks like I'm getting a deluxe.

Thanks for the input.

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
I have no regrets spending the extra money. ...[/IMG]
Gilgamark said:
Just got an email from HatsDirect: the standard is out of stock in my size, but they have the deluxe. Looks like I'm getting a deluxe.

Thanks for the input.
What color did you order?
I am certain you feel as Carlisle Blues does :cheers1:

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
All righty, doods, I just ordered a dark brown Fed IV standard. I'm so excited I could plotz. :p

No what you mean. Mine hits the post office on Monday.

My Stylemaster is a great hat, so I'm expecting the Fed IV to be truly awesome.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
All righty, doods, I just ordered a dark brown Fed IV standard. I'm so excited I could plotz. :p

This should be good. I can tell from your avatar, S.R., that you are not afraid to pinch and squeeze the felt :D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner