Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Fest V?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your calm reasoning Ed. Optimo has the large equipment of a small factory in spaces the size of hallways and a small garage and a small busy staff. Even the retail portions are behind counters and not designed for self-service. It is neither a 1-man shop nor a production line. Timing and numbers would come into play as to what interaction might be possible, I don't want people to expect something akin to Buckaroo Hatters last year.

There are also other Hat Shops and another Hatter in the area, but it is still too soon to know what can be arranged.

Mike was exceptionally generous with his time, shop and materials and he is indeed a Lounge participant. That was the only Fedorafest with hands on experience. The space as well as his exceptional personality made that Fedorafest unique.

Other Fests involved just short visits to Commercial Factories and the rest personal interaction and visits to local sites and eateries.

May I suggest a FedoraFest promotion by Optimo? Buy a hat for the event, get a room credit at the downtown LaQuinta (or wherever)? If Graham were on board, perhaps Optimo could reserve a number of rooms at a discounted ($100-ish?) rate for the purpose. He'll sell more hats.

Robert explanation is accurate 100%. I'd like to add mine that, though unrequested, might be beneficial here. I know Graham a little bit less than Robert does but have developed a nice friendship with him over the years. Plain an simple, he won't go for anything similar to what you guys did at Mike Moore's shop. As Robert said, his store is a hybrid between a showroom and a small factory. The man and his staff are friendly, they give outstanding customer service but, otherwise, they are unbelievably busy. Optimo does not need promotion or deals with hotels. He doesn't have time (or need, I guess) to be a participant in the Lounge. His business is doing great, has expanded, so this sort of "coupon" idea is just not going to happen or fly with him. His time is focused on making his hats, developing techniques to make them better, acquiring equipment and planning his trips to Ecuador and China for his Montecristis and Milans. Not to offend anyone, but just to tell my opinion the way I speak, he's in a different league as far as shop ownership and hat makers. I could be all wrong here, but that's just how I feel.

Last edited:
Optimo does not need promotion or deals with hotels. He doesn't have time (or need, I guess) to be a participant in the Lounge. His business is doing great, has expanded, so this sort of "coupon" idea is just not going to happen or fly with him. He's time is focused on making his hats, developing techniques to make them better, acquiring equipment and planning his trips to Ecuador and China for his Montecristis and Milans. Not to offend anyone, but just to tell my opinion the way I speak, he's in a different league as far as shop ownership and hat makers. I could be all wrong here, but that's just how I feel.

But it's ALWAYS worth asking the question (that's the salesperson in me speaking). I don't know many business owners who aren't interested in more business, but it does happen. My sense, judging from the growth and current market position of Optimo, is that he (Graham) should be asked. Maybe if all the arrangements were made to his liking, and all Optimo needed to do was make hats, he'll jump onboard. But we won't know if we don't have a conversation with him.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
But it's ALWAYS worth asking the question (that's the salesperson in me speaking). I don't know many business owners who aren't interested in more business, but it does happen. My sense, judging from the growth and current market position of Optimo, is that he (Graham) should be asked. Maybe if all the arrangements were made to his liking, and all Optimo needed to do was make hats, he'll jump onboard. But we won't know if we don't have a conversation with him.

Maybe I already had a conversation with him...

Last edited:
I don't see a visit to Optimo being that different than the visit we did to Peter Bros in Ft Worth.
Granted we all went to the HatCo factory tour but the visit to Peter Bros & also the Stockyards was fun to me.
I'm sure the proprietor would like a head's up that a group was coming by that may be more or less knowledgeable than his average drop-in.

What else could be wrapped around the weekend besides the usual show & tell in the hospitality suite?

2013 Festival & Event Dates

Really the event for me is just meeting everyone here.

Right on. Chicago is an hour's flight/1 day drive from the best vintage hat collections in the U.S. It would be a great thrill for me to see and handle a few fine examples and hear these folks share their knowledge and experience. Other possible ideas for content:

A walking tour of Chicago architecture led by Delectans.

A food excursion, also led by Delectans.

Afternoon with the Cubbies (has to be before the series) hosted by Joshbru.

An afternoon exploring midwestern craft beers led by Buler.

A tour of Adler Planetarium, led by me (Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

These are offered half serious and half ingest. Planning this is a big piece of work and the pay is terrible. Let's throw out some ideas that we are interested in seeing and willing to lend a hand to make happen.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Guys, this is a GREAT idea. A Chicago meet-up would be a ton of fun for everyone.

How about sometime in September so that we could all take in a Cubs game?

A visit to Optimo would be cool, but just hanging out and drinking beer would be cooler still.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Alan, great ideas. And I can catch a Cards game before or after, lol. I wish I had made the Fest at Buckaroo - I would so have loved just meeting some guys, getting ideas.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
For me, the fun of Fedorafest goes beyond visiting a hatter. Seeing everyone, having a couple drinks, and sharing some laughs is the best part of fedorafest. As others have said, Mike was INCREDIBLY generous with his time, materials, store, etc. That was the first time since I have joined the lounge that a hatter offered to give lounge members a chance to experience making a hat first hand. As Robert has said, that was a totally unique and wonderful experience.

That being said, Chicago has a PLETHORA of things to do and see. Chicago's architecture is probably the top 3 in the country. Between the museums, places such as the Frank Loyd Wright house, Palmer House, former speakeasy's, etc, there is no shortage of beautiful buildings to see.

Our music scene is phenomenal when it comes to Jazz and Blues. I HIGHLY suggest a Thursday night visit to the GREEN MILL! Thursday is BIG BAND night and the only place in the North side of the city to see a 12 -14 piece big band, swing dancing, and folks dressed up in suits, ties....and HATS! This is a scene that should be experienced by every lounge member. It hasn't changed since Al Capone used to take his booth in the center of the place back in the 20's.

www.greenmilljazz.com

There is Rosa's lounge for blues

www.rosaslounge.com

Or one of the best blues joints in Chicago, Kingston Mines

www.kingstonmines.com

And I don't even know where to get started with restaurants. We have every kind of food you can imagine and so many vintage restaurants and bars. Like I said, we have former speakeasy's, lounges, etc. One of my favorite places to visit for lunch is the Walnut Room located in the Marshall Fields building (Macy's). Its been the same way for 100 years and just transports you to a different time and place.

I can supply more links and websites for attractions, restaurants, music, etc. Rest assured that there is NO shortage of vintage inspired things to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL