Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora for my face shape (pics)

ChubbyTiger

New in Town
Hello everybody. I've been lurking for about a month now and getting lots of good ideas. But, what I can't really find is any advice on what hat style really goes with what body/face type. Specifically, I'm about 5'5", 150 lb., and fairly broad of shoulder. My face is oval, I suppose, and my features somewhat soft.

So, how high a crown and how wide a brim should I be looking for in a fedora? What other things should I avoid or aim for or whatever? I live in NYC and I'm going to go visit some of the hat shops, but it's nice to know what to really look for ahead of time.

Well, thanks for any advice and Happy St. Paddy's Day. :beer:

CT

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Try them on!!

I looked at all the info I could on hat shapes,styles the only thing that really works is go and try on some hats to see what looks best on you.

I bought a cheap one that looked good on me and I send it out as a sample to block the custom hats I have made for me. :)

Havana

One of the Regulars
I don't think there are really any rules for this. I have heard that you should seek opposites. For example, if you're tall and thin, you should try a hat with a lower crown and wider brim. If you're heavy set and short, get a taller crown with a narrower brim. I wouldn't follow this too much. You really just have to try things out to see what works for you. I've got a big head and I've found that crowns higher than 4 1/2" don't look good on me but just about any brim width works for me. The width of the ribbon can also make a hat look taller or shorter than it is. There's a lot of trial and error in this.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi-
There are formulas to get it right, based on æsthetic principles.
I'll add some links- a lot of these are for women but if you can make sense of it, well you can choose to apply it or not. At least you'll know...
If you think of the brim of a hat as the top of your face, then what you see, you can add to the top of your face- crown height- mirror your face length. If you go higher, then the crown will start to look high...

But think about the principles in the linked pages- it makes æsthetic sense.
For instance, if you have a long face, a wider brim will 'visually' shorten your face by making a visual distraction- cutting the length down....

But the shame of it all is if you want a high crown and a wide brim and it doesn't suit you- ha! wear it anyway...

http://www.hotilids.com/pages/customerservice.htm

http://www.ellenchristine.com/perf/perfPerfectHat.html

http://www.hathathat.com/sizing.html

http://www.hat-a-tude.com/whatsMyHatStyle.ivnu

http://www.hatladies.org/matching_face_and_body_shapes_wi.htm

This last one says some good things- like for me (round face) the crown should be wider than/no narrower than my face... I shouldn't wear a rounded or tapered crown- phew!

But it mostly affects freaks like me with a pinch/babyface.
If you have a 'perfect' face, in proportion and don't have big or small shoulders, you're pretty much in the clear. Of course the length and thickness of your neck/proximity of head to shoulders figures as well. It's all about balance- think of the hat brim on your head as a mirror- is there balance in what's above and below the 'mirror'- the above is like the reflection- can you see balance, or what could make allowance for more visual balance?
Confused? Haha..ha...

BT.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
BT posted some good links but they are mostly for women's hats. I thought I had a good link for men's hats but can not find it. So I will give a couple of rules of thumb.

1. Llonger, narrower face. Lower, rounder crown; narrower, curved brim.

2. Shorter, rounder face. Taller, squarer crown; wider, flatter brim.

Adjust proportionally depending on how extreme your face is. Someone who is about dead center between the two can wear about anything.

Sizing note: normaly #1 will fit a long oval hat (7-1/8 L), and #2 will fit a round hat (7-1/2 R), etc.

However if you like it and can wear it suavely it is right for you no matter what the rules are.

Octavius

New in Town
Hi
I bought this fedora to ue as part of a stage look for a band I play with. I'm thinking about getting another one that would maybe better suit my face shape. What would you suggest I look for in a new hat, based on the photos?
fedorafront.jpg

fedoraside.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Welcome and good luck in your hunt for a fedora! It can be fun!
I like a wider brim, with that usually goes a taller crown.
But to each his own. Do you have anyone that has a wider brimed hat for you to try? That way you can be a little more sure of what you may want.
By the way that hat does not look bad, maybe give it a little more of a pinch in front.

Octavius

New in Town
Thanks for your quick reply.
I bought the hat at a department store that had a limited selection. I'm looking now at online stores where I'd have more to choose from.
To give the hat more pinch in the front do I just have to steam it and mold it how I want?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I would be interested to see how a wider brim looks on you. For some people though, transitioning to wider brims takes some getting used to, as well as the taller crowns. The one you have now does look pretty good, but see about having a tighter pinch on it.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Man, hats are so much an extension of one's personality.

I'm a wider brim guy myself, but that's owing mostly to being in my forties, and having a love for both black and white cops & robbers movies and westerns.

For younger fellas lately - and depending on the kind of music you guys perform - the stingier brims are more commonly accepted as the mode.

The thing with your purchase, though, is that is seems to be plugged too far onto your head. I'd pull it up a touch and tip it back a little too. Then try rocking over to one side some for a little 'attitude'. Also, try it with the brim up all around. That's a more "I don't take myself too seriously" look that girls kinda' like and that some guys can really wear well. Not me, but some guys...

G'luck!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi, welcome to the Lounge!

I agree the hat looks too far down on your head. If this is because of personal preference, no problem. If not, try the other options suggested.

I am partial to tilting hats, too, BTW. :p

I wonder if it could be the hat is too big and this is the reason it sinks down to your ears? Is that hat one of those measured just in sizes, like S, M, L, etc? These are harder to fit if you fall between sizes. If the hat is indeed too lose, some filling behind the sweatband will prpbably be enough to make it tighter.

Regards!

Octavius

New in Town
Thanks again for the advice.
I'll look for something with a wider brim to see how that looks. I think the reason I have it down so far on my head is that I'm used to wearing ball caps and that's where they usually sit on me. I just tried the hat on a little higher up and while it might take a bit of getting used to, it is comfortable and not too loose.

The Librarian

New in Town
Ribbon

As said it looks a bit big for you. There have been topics on here that discuss shrinking a hat. Just be careful. I'd also prefer a contrasting ribbon on it. Too much of one color leaves it looking undefined.

Marty

Octavius

New in Town
Thanks everyone. I think I now have a much better idea about how to get a hat that fits correctly and looks better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ