Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FEDORAFEST III photos

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
A bunch of great pictures of the process. As a maintenance man in a factory I can image the fun it is to keep some of those machines going. I work on 30 year old machines everyday an boy is it fun. As the current tech support is zero for old machines.

DRB

One Too Many
This has been a truly exciting thread. Thank you all for your time and effort in sharing these photos. Maybe someday I will be in the position to join in what looks like a lot of fun and even educational.

fmw

One Too Many
I didn't know Cavanagh hats were still made. I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise since Cavanagh was one of the original companies that made up HATCO, but I never seem to come across new ones being sold.

As far as I know, the Cavanagh name is used for Hatco's higher end caps. I'm not aware of them currently making fedoras with the Cavanagh name.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Jedwbpm, try this thread - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Makers-List&highlight=classic+hat+makers+list

Brad Bower's posts in that thread eventually help determine an accurate listing of which brands Hatco is licensed to make today. He's a stickler for history accuracy.

Great thread. What I really wanted to know was not only what brands but also what they were making. There was a Pic of a Knox logo but I can't remember see a Knox hat in a store. So what other Brands are they making other then Stetson and Resistol?

Jeff

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
duff.jpg

As far as I know, the Cavanagh name is used for Hatco's higher end caps. I'm not aware of them currently making fedoras with the Cavanagh name.

I like how this site uses it for marketing a model of Stetson but misspells CavanaUgh = http://www.hartfordyork.com/product/1420/sale-mens-catalog
Stetson Beaver Fur Felt Fedora - The Cavanaugh Beaver Fedora

There's a famous old hat brand named Cavanaugh that went away a long time ago. Now Stetson reintroduces it in a genuine beaver fur felt edition called the Park Avenue. Satin lined with a hand sewn and stitched leather sweat band and grosgrain trim and 2 1/2 inch brim. A throwback to the old days when every hat was a "beaver" and Cavanaugh offered the finest. Made in the USA.

majormoore

Vendor
When we were on our walk thru and got this part in the plant, we were told that the Charlie 1 Horse line was it's to selling hat line, as you are aware they are all made of wool, and maybe a little tea cup of rabbit thrown in, we did not tour the body making plant, but I have held in my hands god only knows these hats and they are hard as hell to reshape or rework.

Major Moore

barrowjh

One Too Many
I accidentally won a wool fedora the other day, what a dog. Stetson and the other manufacturers sold wool felts in vintage times, at a price point about half of their initial base quality fur felt (a cheap substitute). Most of the manufacturers continue this today, including Beaver Brand, and the retail stores cannot survive without the sales of wool felts. For anybody that has tried both, there is no comparison. Wool felts belong in the inventory of stage managers for live shows (plays, etc) - hats that look ok to the audience, but there is little risk of the hats 'accidentally' walking away. And, what if they do walk away? Cheap and easy to replace. I have yet to hear from anyone here that has worn both a good quality fur felt and a wool felt and then had anything nice to say about wool felts.

Some may brand these comments snob-ish, but we should call a spade a spade. For anyone planning an initial fedora purchase, we should warn them - wool felts are almost a guaranteed disappointment. Someone embarking on their first camping trip will be disappointed if they outfit themselves with the cheapest equipment they can buy at a discount big-box store; when considering hats, on what basis would you expect to be satisfied by the cheapest hats in the store?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana