Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FEDORAFEST III photos

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I knew I had more photos of pouncing. Here they are....except, I can't find the one of JTL "pouncing"...but it was a great story!!!

FedoraFestIII-2011073.jpg

FedoraFestIII-2011087.jpg

FedoraFestIII-2011090.jpg

March11iphone088-1.jpg

Samuel

Practically Family
I wish I had some Glenlivit with you all.

I saw the photos of the Glenlivit single malt and boy I think I missed out on the festivities. Next year that wont happen!

Samuel

Practically Family
When we saw the television crews at the hotel we really thought it was a big deal! Then it turned out there was a child beauty pageant going on (you can't make this stuff up). I believe the TLC crew was there filming for the reality show, "Toddlers and Tiaras".

B

That's right we were a part of the filming, it was Belgian TV, Australian TV, and Toddlers and Tiaras, so all an all it was a huge event for the Universal royalty Beauty Pageant of which I was a sponsor http://www.princesscanopybeds.com lol

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I'm so sorry I missed this. To live on the fringes of the Metroplex and to not be in town to hang with a group of great guys going to such fantastic hat sites is going on my list of life's regrets!
Terrific photos!

Mr. Paladin

From the straw mfg. facility:

Bundles of milan straw, colored and ready to sew.

FedoraFestIII-2011084.jpg

FedoraFestIII-2011080.jpg

Stitching one together (a milan is one continuous length of the straw, slightly overlapped and sewn).

FedoraFestIII-2011088.jpg

Raider

One of the Regulars
Went in to town and talked to Joe at Peters Bros today....he said he really enjoyed FF3. Looks like from the pictures you guys did too. Sounded like he especially enjoyed the HatCo Tour and visiting with a couple of fellow hatters. I was putting in another new order and dropping off a western to be converted.

Neophyte

I was impressed with the custom hats Joe was working on...I accidentaly grabbed ahold of one thinking it was an off-the-shelf model, and it was very smooth and supple. I also got a look at a great-looking black Borsalino Alessandria in my size. I couldn't bring myself to buy it, despite the pressure from fellow loungers and a HUGE discount from Joe himself, because it actually felt pretty rough and stiff (somewhat of a worse hand than my Akubra CD, believe it or not).

The "Hero's Collection" and Display models (the ones that weren't for sale, but Loungers were allowed to touch lol) were very nice, though, and I had fun talking to Joe and getting a glimpse of all the machinery. The sign for his shop is also one of the coolest store signs I've seen in a while.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting all of these. :eusa_clap

I like seeing that the Danbury machinery is still in use, and that Heidelberg is amazing.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I love the HATCO factory pics - really interesting to see what goes on.

A couple of things that surprised me a bit:

I had no idea that the process was so manual - basically not doing much different to the way hats were made in the past. I was expecting some modern automated production line.

For some reason, I expected HATCO to be more vertically integrated and do the felting on-site as well. Maybe this is the case, but the pics gave the impression the felt bodies were brought in from elsewhere.

I didn't know Cavanagh hats were still made. I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise since Cavanagh was one of the original companies that made up HATCO, but I never seem to come across new ones being sold.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to see this all first hand sometime, but I really enjoyed the photos - thanks for taking and posting them!

RBH

Bartender
.....For some reason, I expected HATCO to be more vertically integrated and do the felting on-site as well. Maybe this is the case, but the pics gave the impression the felt bodies were brought in from elsewhere.

The felt factory is located in Longview Texas. It is about 1 1\2 hour from Garland, we were not able to make both plants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran