Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedoraFest IV

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
FedoraFest IV was an amazing success and a tremendous amount of fun!! I can't thank Mike & Rusty enough for planning this years Fedora Fest actives. Mike's wonderful generosity made this trip one that I will always remember. Even though I have been working on hats for a while, I had never made my own from scratch. Mike let us have free reign over his hatters tools and machines which was really special to me.

The people at this Fedorafest gathering really made it wonderful. It was amazing to see some familiar faces as well as meet some FL members that I had only seen on my computer screen. Thank you so much, Mike, Art, and Rocky for guiding me through my first "from scratch" hat build and showing me some wonderful hatters tricks that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

I want to thank Rusty for picking me up from the train station on very short notice. I also want to thank all the people who took wonderful pictures this year and posted them to the lounge. I especially want to thank Bill and Robert for driving me back to Chicago even though the NATO summit was going on. I must say, during the trip back was the first time I have ever had to get out of a car on the highway. LOL. ;)

This years event truly had some wonderful people, wonderful hats, but most important wonderful memories. It was a pleasure spending those few days with all of my FL family and I hope we can all do it again next year.

NEXT YEAR IN CHICAGO!!!

Reactions: RBH

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
All I can do is echo the sentiments offered so far.
I had a ball at this Fest even though I was put to work as soon as I walked in.)) Mike could not have been more generous with his time, knowledge, & equipment. It is really very rewarding to find another pro ready to share tips & sources that ordinarily would not be shared. With Robert, Buler, & Josh making their own hats under the watchful eyes ( a little heckling never hurt) of everyone there made it extra special.
Meeting TWH and Thunderball was terrific & seeing old friends like BobC & Mrs BobC, Neo, Jeff, BarrowJ et al is icing on the cake. The fact that it was so close to Memphis made this old Blues fan's heart beat faster than it has in quite a while , especially when when it's Barrelhouse's brother and my client on stage. All of this combined made for a very special and personal trip for me & I Thank you ALL involved. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Well done Rusty & Mike... now...how can we con .. I mean persuade Graham to host next year? ;)

Reactions: RBH

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...I want to thank Rusty for picking me up from the train station on very short notice. I also want to thank all the people who took wonderful pictures this year and posted them to the lounge. I especially want to thank Bill and Robert for driving me back to Chicago even though the NATO summit was going on. I must say, during the trip back was the first time I have ever had to get out of a car on the highway. LOL. ;) ...

O.K. I'm dying to know how the train trip went with the Tommy Gun. That has to be fun right there. That and getting through the NATO summit with it.

Later

majormoore

Vendor
The meeting doesn't have to be at a hat shop, or a visit, but it does help, even if we are able to visit a hat shop there is a ton of stuff to do and hang out at in the Windy City.

Major Moore

So, would this be at Graham's shop? Who are some other hatters in the Windy City?

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
I had a blast. But now I am thinking of all the hats I need / want to buy. I put one on order when I was up there. It will be special.
After seeing Art in that semi-Calado Dualist , I am trying hard not to order one of those as well. And I still have a hat body on the way from Panama Bob to get finished by Mike Moore.
FF11.jpg

Chief000731

Practically Family
Sounds like everybody had a good time I sure wish I could have made it... Well next one maybe I'm still going to see Major Moore this summer though... Carl

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
So here is Bill's fist full of Dollars hat. Who wouldn't want this hat and Bill said I have always wanted one so he and Mike made it.
A-fist-full-of-dollars.jpg

here is the original.

Mike%20showing%20Bill%20how%20to%20push%20felt%20down%20on%20block.jpg

Now this is the first step in making a hat pushing the fur on to the hat block this is hard work and you could get burned from the steam used to soften the fur so that it can be pushed down onto the block.

Mike%20showing%20Bill%20how%20to%20steam.jpg

Notice Bill is wearing the gloves and Mike is steaming he got hit by the steam and burned his hand a little.

bill%20steaming%20hat.jpg

Bill takes over and works on pulling the hat down on the block.

bill%20still%20working%20at%20it.jpg

Bill still working on get the fur all the way flush on the hat block.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I didn't get bill pouncing his crown where was I hmmmm. I must have been with Robert looking at his collection of vintage hat ad's wonderful stuff.

So here is Bill sanding his brim.

Bill%20sanding%20brim.jpg

Bill%20rocky%20working%20on%20brim.jpg

Rocky has put the bash in the crown now and is getting ready to sand the brim.

Mike%20sanding%20Bill%27s%20brim.jpg

Here Mike is getting ready to pounce the brim of Bill's hat.

Bill%20sanding%20brim.jpg

Bill working on the bottom of his brim.

After this was finished Bill and Mike picked out a ribbon for the brim binding. I didn't get a picture of Mike sewing the binding and Bill is going to use a leather band on his hat. He said he is going to make his own so he picked up a leather band from Mike's to hold him over till he gets around to making it.

Bill%20Fist%20full%20of%20dollars.jpg

Now look at the smile.:) Bill was so happy with his hat and it looks great. Great meeting you Bill and thanks again for letting me pick up
a Stetson 100 from you.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
BR I have video of Robert working on his hat. :)
Will post that later. Also wanted to show how much work it takes to make a hat. I know Josh,Bill and Robert found out.:)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Ed, thanks so much for posting all of these wonderful photos!!! You really captured the entire hat making experience for me on film. I will treasure these pictures!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn