Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
The family used to own some land in Webster County Kentucky, we probably shouldn't have sold it 15 years ago. Nice area, but sort of poor.
Later

humanshoes

One Too Many
I like it a lot. My wife loved it. So far, it’s in first place for her. I like western Kentucky for the property pricing, but I also prefer the amenities and the terrain of eastern Tennessee; I want some mountains and not just gently rolling hills.
I ended up in Knoxville 14 years ago by chance and happenstance and haven't regretted a day of it. Just in case you need further inducement...https://guiderecommended.com/fly-fish-tennessee/

Be sure to let her know that, next time around, dinner's on me. If you were at the food truck court on Central, you were about a block away from my house in the historic "Happy Holler" neighborhood.

I’d love to meet up with you, Rick.

On this trip, I’ve been focusing on landscape (I want acreage in the mountains), medical care availability, tax implications, etc. My wife goes much more on the “feel” of the place and her interactions with people. She is orders of magnitude more social than I am. We both found a lot to like around Knoxville. She thinks the properties we looked at were beautiful, but it was the people that won her over. I think we’ll fly out sometime in the winter to see the area that time of the year.

Good to know there’s a trout fishery in the area too. I’ve already budgeted in a fishing boat for warm water species, but trout fishing is my first love and I hope to put in some quality time with a fly rod in retirement.

Hemp Stratoliner (again) somewhere in New Mexico somewhere between Tucumcari and Las Vegas (NM).

FF4D997D-F554-4E0E-A078-FE3D6E624B57.jpeg
61D4701D-E432-4412-A35A-0CEABF303BA9.jpeg

0A71ED24-2254-4C0F-860B-F358ED0DA3F2.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought NM was a hidden gem with the Rockies in the north and northwest and Sierra Blanca in Billy the Kid country to the southeast.

We decided to take the backroads. It was some lonely and beautiful country and we loved every minute. Not anywhere I’d want to live, but it had a grandeur that was truly moving.

20210309_073732.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Back home stateside after 4 different airports (cheap fare, whaddya gonna do?) I spent the the afternoon yesterday in the town of Girona, Spain (Catalonia), just about 40 mins outside of Barcelona by high speed train. During its history, both Charlemagne and Napolean's forces battled there during their respective times. I was particularly interested in visiting because various spots around the old quarter were shooting locations for Game of Thrones. Many parts of the city have Roman origins, though much of the architecture is more recent (12th-19th century).

Last edited:
Back home stateside after 4 different airports (cheap fare, whaddya gonna do?) I spent the the afternoon yesterday in the town of Girona, Spain (Catalonia), just about 40 mins outside of Barcelona by high speed train. During its history, both Charlemagne and Napolean's forces battled there during their respective times. I was particularly interested in visiting because various spots around the old quarter were shooting locations for Game of Thrones. Many parts of the city have Roman origins, though much of the architecture is more recent (12th-19th century).

Thank you for sharing Jared

Beautiful. There is so much to see in the world and I appreciate you taking us along for the ride.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for sharing Jared

Beautiful. There is so much to see in the world and I appreciate you taking us along for the ride.

Thanks gents, happy to share. It was a bit of a surreal experience to travel again, but a friend invited me along on this little jaunt and it was hard to pass up. It tickled me a little bit to travel to Spain from SF, as California was of course previously a Spanish province. The oldest building in San Francisco is the old Spanish Mission.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Agreed - thanks for taking us along on your fortunate travel excursion.

Thanks gents, happy to share. It was a bit of a surreal experience to travel again, but a friend invited me along on this little jaunt and it was hard to pass up. It tickled me a little bit to travel to Spain from SF, as California was of course previously a Spanish province. The oldest building in San Francisco is the old Spanish Mission.

Lovely link to the new world province. The human history and cultural richness of Spain makes it an enviable trip. Cheers Jared.

Eric -

Here are a few shots of a hat afield (not a fedora, but who cares?). And the explanation why I haven't been posting for the last few weeks. Vacation took me to Heidelberg, Germany and a Mayser homburg was the hat I took with me.

View attachment 359322 View attachment 359323 View attachment 359324 View attachment 359326 View attachment 359328 View attachment 359330 View attachment 359331 View attachment 359332 View attachment 359333 View attachment 359334

Beautiful photography, Stefan. I’d love to have been privy to your thought process when selecting a single hat to take with you.

Beautiful photography, Stefan. I’d love to have been privy to your thought process when selecting a single hat to take with you.
Thanks, Brent. It wasn't all that hard really. It had to be German and it had to be a homburg, because a fedora gets in the way of taking photographs too much. The colour had to match the possible different types of weather, so you end up with this classic looking Mayser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk