Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras & facial hair: are they mortal enemies?

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
I think I look better with facial hair, period. With or without the fedora. Otherwise, even as a middle aged guy, I would get carded for water with this baby face. Facial hair gives me swagger...

120130-145153.jpg

Forrest

Familiar Face
The one time I grew out a full beard and wore a fedora, I felt like I was hiding my face, like some celebrity going incognito or something. It didn't work for me. I'd say do whatever works for you personally, whatever you think you carry well.

I never step out of my house without my beard (goatee) and my fedora. It's worked for me for a long time and I wouldn't feel right without either. Some like it hot, some like it cold!
Amen to that Brother! Some great pics in this old thread.

It's always the guys who couldn't grow a beard if their life depended on it givin' out the dirty looks.

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_2689.JPG

And on those days when you just don't want to deal with it.
IMG_3412.JPG

I'm callin' out Moon, DD, Bob, Bowen & all the others I'm forgetting.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Huh, I don't know why I didn't reply on this thread back in 2012.

I've been a bearded hat guy since around 1973 - and I was a hat guy long before I could grow a decent beard. Of course, I reject all "fashion rules" as pretentious bushwa anyway, and wear whatever I want. Personal style is about having courage in oneself, not following of-the-moment dictates about "what looks right".

1982, straw Stetson Open Road:

CROTN682.JPG

2016, custom "gangster fedora" by Northwest Hats:

ByDavidOct2016.jpg

Huh, I don't know why I didn't reply on this thread back in 2012.

I've been a bearded hat guy since around 1973 - and I was a hat guy long before I could grow a decent beard. Of course, I reject all "fashion rules" as pretentious bushwa anyway, and wear whatever I want. Personal style is about having courage in oneself, not following of-the-moment dictates about "what looks right".

1982, straw Stetson Open Road:

View attachment 122303

2016, custom "gangster fedora" by Northwest Hats:

View attachment 122302
Hear hear! Damn the fashion police, full speed ahead. Great looking Mike Miller creation. Is that silvermist?

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
Yes. I actually wish the shade were a hair darker, because it reads as off-white rather than light gray in most light. Of course, in b/w, it really looks like something from 1931!

As a new member, I just wanted to say that it is comforting knowing that the Sorcerer Supreme of the Universe is a member here. And I never thought beards and fedoras were an issue. Who made up that rule anyway? Say hi to Clea for me, if you will.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, nvilletele! I've been Doctor Strange (or some variation of it: DoctorStrange, Dr.Strange, etc.) here and on many other forums/sites now for going on twenty years. Way before Cumberbatch made him a household name. He was always my favorite Marvel character because he studied to gain his powers, there was no radioactive spider bite, gamma ray blast, X-gene, alien birth, galactic police power ring, etc.

And I've always had an affinity for wizards and magicians, ever since I was a teenage conjurer (and pressed my sister into service as my "glamorous assistant") in the early seventies:

MMPUB6.JPG

Required hat content: That's an old hard beaver-fur top hat I got at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. I also got a silk collapsible one the same way. Alas, both are now too small for me and falling apart...

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
Thanks, nvilletele! I've been Doctor Strange (or some variation of it: DoctorStrange, Dr.Strange, etc.) here and on many other forums/sites now for going on twenty years. Way before Cumberbatch made him a household name. He was always my favorite Marvel character because he studied to gain his powers, there was no radioactive spider bite, gamma ray blast, X-gene, alien birth, galactic police power ring, etc.

And I've always had an affinity for wizards and magicians, ever since I was a teenage conjurer (and pressed my sister into service as my "glamorous assistant") in the early seventies:

View attachment 122313

Required hat content: That's an old hard beaver-fur top hat I got at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. I also got a silk collapsible one the same way. Alas, both are now too small for me and falling apart...

Though perhaps suited for the “this or that” thread, not all would get this, so I’ll just ask you: Ditko or Brunner?

Required hat content:
88B043DB-0C37-4F93-9C06-90B66C04DD65.jpeg 65DE31F2-763E-42CD-A342-FB984A234C7F.jpeg

My employment forbids beards and my wife forbids kissing when I have a mustache. Needless to say, I’m clean shaven most of the time (I rebel on my days off).

Styles and fashions change and there are no right and wrongs. These are all personal choices that some will like, some won’t like, and most wont care one way or the other.

I think the folks here at the Lounge pull off this look with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Though perhaps suited for the “this or that” thread, not all would get this, so I’ll just ask you: Ditko or Brunner?

Required hat content:
View attachment 122336 View attachment 122337

It was Frank Brunner when I was an active comics reader in the seventies, but of course, Steve Ditko's work is even more brilliant. I treated myself to the Marvel Masterworks paperback collecting all of Ditko's Doctor Strange comics shortly before the movie came out. It takes a while for the series to hit its stride, but it's excellent, and - just like Ditko's Spider-Man - it's best just before he quit Marvel. And those early sixties Marvel comics have a more personal, you-are-there sense that was largely lost when they became a big deal . For example, I love this Lee/Ditko panel:

StrangeTales129fullpanel.jpg

But my single favorite Doctor Strange story is in Marvel Premiere #3. This was when they reintroduced the character for the Brunner/Englehart run... but the first issue was written by Stan Lee (who'd pretty much retired from writing by then) and penciled by Barry Smith (who was near the end of his brilliant run on Conan the Barbarian). I use a clip of the cover for my avatar here:

Marvel_Premiere_Vol_1_3.jpg

Sorry, no hat content here. (Though re this thread, it may be worth noting that Doctor Strange only had a pencil moustache in the sixties/seventies - the beard came later.) Anyway, send me a PM if you want to keep up the comics dialog.

Addendum: Most unbelievable thing in the Doctor Strange film - that with those trembling hands he can handle an electric trimmer well enough for that precise little beard!

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hell, to answer this question is simple.
I don’t give a s**t what anyone thinks about “my” hat or “my” beard because they are mine.
I only need to consider what i think about them. Anything else and i defeat “why” i wear either, or anything else for that matter. The rest is all fluff.
That’s my nice answer. Ha
Hope that helps.
Being well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot