Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feedback on Henry the Hatter hats...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looking to get a hat that is marked with Henry the Hatter from an old Estate Sale. How old are these hats? and do you rate this hat manufacturer?

Thanks! as I have never heard of them/him (which isn't unusal). Thanks. (back to bed).

I have never heard of the guy but it seems he got around---from the UK to Kentucky. He must have been quite the traveler. LOL
Actually, I am sure he was one of those small custom hatters that made hats on a limited basis. I would have to hold and see the hat myself before I bought it on a lark---unless it was something like $5 then go for it. ;) You can let us know how it is made and we will all know then. :D

Regards to all,

J

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Any other tit-bits on the elusive Henry the Hatter?

It does sound like a gangster's name doens't it, like Mickey the Fish, or Paddy the Plonker!

But I am pretty sure I have come across this chap being mentioned before either here, or on C.O.W (Indy site).

Is he vintage? or modern, with a vintage style?...I just don't know. And the quality...?

Some of the guys here have recommended that a 'biggish brimmed' hat would really suit my type of head and style (well when I get the face brace off, otherwise you'll be calling me ZORRO!!). Where could I start looking for these types of fedoras and what good makes should I be keeping an eye out for?

Signing off as the masked crusader!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Won the hat, now I need to shape it...

The sales blurb says it is from the estate of an elderly gent and doesn't look to have been ever used. I guess I need to think about getting a bash put in it, or should I send it to one of the more professional folk on the forums to shape it?

What do you think of it so far? pics are just off the Ebay...

It's meant to be XX Beaver, with a 2" ribbon. I was after something for the winter days to go with my dark and lighter blue suits.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Inside the Henry the Hatter Fedora...

A pic of inside the Henry the Hatter hat (sounds like something from Alice in Wonderland! lol)...

I need to do something to get away from it looking like a Derby!

Canadave

One Too Many
I'm the last of the experts, but I guess the earliest riser! I would bet that you'll be able to put in an acceptable bash yourself. If you want it sharp, you could send it to Art or otherwise.

Looks great...congrats!

David

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, looks like a fine specimen of a hat. I agree with some of the guys that if I were you I'd try a "biggish brimmed". The brim doesn't look very wide but that could be the angle of the pic. Do you have the brim measurement?

Shaping the crown is quite easy. I"m sure we can all point you in the right direction when you get ready to do a crown bashing.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah Matt, that's what I was going to say. Looks to be a 50's hat. I also agree with ITG that a wider brimmed hat might be more flattering on you.

I'm a big fan of hand blocking. Just hold the hat over a boiling pot and get it steamed! Gently pinch in the front and then you could crease it down the middle, or put in a C crown. I like the C crown my self.

Best of luck my friend,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Looks to be perfectly round to me. If you have a long oval head, that will effect the shape of the crown and brim (in a good way) when you wear it. Should prove to be an interesting photo when you get it and show us this fine example on your noggin! Regards. Michaelson

Joedahat

New in Town
Henry The Hatter

Post to an old thread?
I currently work at Henry The Hatter, a retail hat store with 3 locations in the Metro Detroit Area. Unfortunately over the years it has gone from a hat finishing factory to just an out of the box retailer. I personally have some of the Henry The Hatter felt hats from the "old days" which would put todays stuff to shame.
The name "Henry The Hatter" after the original owner Henry Komrofsky, was started in Detroit 1893. more info available at
www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Joedahat said:
Post to an old thread?
I currently work at Henry The Hatter, a retail hat store with 3 locations in the Metro Detroit Area. Unfortunately over the years it has gone from a hat finishing factory to just an out of the box retailer. I personally have some of the Henry The Hatter felt hats from the "old days" which would put todays stuff to shame.
The name "Henry The Hatter" after the original owner Henry Komrofsky, was started in Detroit 1893. more info available at
www.tcfb.com/henry/

I personally have some of the Henry The Hatter felt hats from the "old days" which would put todays stuff to shame.

Do you want to sell any of these old hat bodies??
Let me know by PM.
Thanks,

Roger

I am just coming to this thread...

thanks for posting the website.

I grew up in Detroit and my brother and I always pressed our noses up against the glass to see all those wonderful hats. When we were there it was always closed because we weren't around (we were at school) when it was open. When i went back for thanksgiving, we planned to go, but then because of the holiday it was obviously closed. Hopefully, we will have our adventure there the next time I go back and we will plan ahead this time.

My brother would jsut flip out if i were to be able to come acrossed an older hat from the shop in his size. I never even thought of searching on the interet (how crazy is that) Even if the hats aren't the same as they were, part of it of course will be just the experience of going to the old shop downton and making a day of it.

Chris

Joedahat

New in Town
In busines since 1893, In this spot since 1948.

d4fbd408.jpg

PADDY said:
So, why don't I want it? well it's just a tad too small. I'm US size 7 1/8, and this is a true 7. And I don't want to risk stretching it, I'd rather preserve it as it was born.

Mmmmm, so as I was saying, I'm "thinking" of parting with it, as it just is too nice a hat not to be worn by the right person. Just need a little convincing.

Three words of advice---Stretch the hat. It is only one size difference and less than half an inch. I have stretched hats four sizes without much trouble. Getting your hat to fit would be child's play. :p
I just hate to see you get rid of a good hat when the situation could be easily rectified. If you don't want to attempt it then have an experienced hatter do it. They would not have to replace a single original part of the hat for such a small stretch. It would still be original and would fit. ;)
Now that you know where it came from, you might as well enjoy it. :)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner