Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Jwag

One of the Regulars
I wear cowboy boots everyday with everything. Dan Post, Justin, Abilene, and Acme.
Here are my favorites-
P1060466.jpg

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Here's my favorite way, unfortunately I'm too old and fat to do this, and posting photos is beyond me, and they're all pretty much dead...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Ramones_-_Hey!_Ho!_Let's_Go-The_Anthology_cover.jpg

I just wear all kinds of boots these days, whatever feels right, RM Williams, cowboy boots, work boots, harness boots, engineers, what have you. And in the summer just brogues, no socks. Anyway, I hate socks, go often in the winter without them...

P.S. Someone, please make it bigger and embed it...

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Thanks Butte. My son's got the music sorted, he's threatening to wear this look to his senior high graduation on Friday and playing a couple of songs with another dude there, the school's OK with that. I have no doubt they'll do it. He's on the guitar and back-up vocals. I'm just a proud parent (I think), definitely wishing that I was 17 or 18...

Thanks Butte. My son's got the music sorted, he's threatening to wear this look to his senior high graduation on Friday and playing a couple of songs with another dude there, the school's OK with that. I have no doubt they'll do it. He's on the guitar and back-up vocals. I'm just a proud parent (I think), definitely wishing that I was 17 or 18...
Mine's getting better...he loves his UK-made Doc's. At least now he's changing it up now and then. Kids are supposed to be like that. I'm just personally not comfortable with sneak's and leather jackets.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mine's getting better...he loves his UK-made Doc's. At least now he's changing it up now and then. Kids are supposed to be like that. I'm just personally not comfortable with sneak's and leather jackets.

Mine are Converse, but the JACK PURCELL style. I also wear a pair of SPRING COURT TRAINERS such as John Lennon wore crossing Abbey Road! -dixon cannon

tonypaj

Practically Family

Yeah, I told him at least to wear black jeans and gave him a pair of black ropers to go with them. We'll see what turns up... He may do something unpredictable with the clothes and the music.

Anyway, back to the topic, I just wear any boots I'm OK with as far as the colors go. I can't handle sneakers too well these days, either (apart from gym or sports), shoes have to be leather or flip flops. Mine are, oh well, Crocs (proper flip flops, not shoes, mind you) or Japanese stuff. No leather jackets involved...

I can't wear Con's. I have a high(ish) arch, and those things kill me. I even worry about which watch/band as well as belt with leather jackets. To each their own. But I admit that every time I see a killer jacket and shorts, flip-flops, sneak's, etc. it drives me bonkers - my eyes just go right to the offending articles and I have to close my eyes lol
He's a kid - they can pull off things we can't any more. let 'im have fun!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I am so glad someone brought up Chucks and the Ramones. Funny thing, they were famous for wearing Schott but I have heard that Joey actually wore a Lewis Leathers Lightning.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think Chucks look incredibly badass matched with a leather jacket.
Do sneakers pay any respects to the $1000 jacket?
Not really, but it doesn't bug me. I've seen several members here wearing the Chucks and whatnot with their Aeros and they look great. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with-wear whatever you wear proudly, and you'll be cool.
It's safe to say that the boot/jacket combo is a timeless style that will always looks good though.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Lots of great options already mentioned. Just wanted to add that, at least for me, suede or roughout in a complementary color are a great choice. Adds a little leather diversity.

Edward

Bartender
ramones_anthology.jpg

<br>

When anyone here gets to legendary status in rock and roll, they can sport sneaks, Crocs or whatever they like with their leather lol

There is never an excuse for Crocs. Never. The only question is how to dispose of them when I rule the world: they won't biodegrade in landfill, and the toxic fumes they would give off when burned would be as bad as the visual pollution when they are seen...

Ah, Chuck Taylors.... I used to wear those a lot. Once upon a time cheap copies, then Converse, right up until Nike bought them out, then ethically sourced alternatives after that. Buying again nowadays, I'd stick to either Ethletic or PF Flyer. I've moved away from them, though - these days if needs must I wear something other than a leather shoe or boot, I prefer a saddle shoe, not least because Chuck Taylor styles are no good for dancing, which has become a constant in a lot of my social outings since I took up jive.

I am so glad someone brought up Chucks and the Ramones. Funny thing, they were famous for wearing Schott but I have heard that Joey actually wore a Lewis Leathers Lightning.

It's a classic look. WAs my thing for a long time - I even wore the drainpipes, at least until I, eh, filled out in my thirties and started to look less Joey Ramone, more Humpty Dumpty in them. A lot of da brudders' jacket over the years were Schott, primarily later on. Early days they tended to wear whatever they could get hold of cheaply, which was often not even the Perfecto style with which they are now so associated. If memory serves, in the classic image used for the cover of their debut album, only Johnny is wearing a jacket identifiably in that style....

Here we go, released 23rd April 1976:

Ramones_-_Ramones_cover.jpg

By the time of their second studio album, just a few short months later (Leave Home, released 10th January 1977), DeeDee had "upgraded" to a Perfecto style (whether an actual Schott or not, I do not know):

Ramones_-_Leave_Home_cover.jpg

Album number three, Rocket to Russia (arguably their greatest masterpiece, released on 4th November 1977, only little Tommy Ramone the drummer still wore a non-Perfecto style (a black, Type III Jean-Jacket style, which seems to have been a constant during his entire tenure on the Ramones drumstool):

ramones---rocket-to-russia700.jpg

After Tommy left the band, amiably (the touring was killing him, but his association with the boys carried on, as he produced several of their post-Tommy albums), he was replaced by Marky Ramone. By this point, the Ramones uniform had been established, and all other Ramones over the years (Joey, Johnny, Marky, DeeDee, C-Jay, Ritchie and Elvis (aka Clem Burke) Ramone) wore Perfectos, or at least Perfecto-style jackets.

Round these parts, you scratch most any rockabilly (or vintage more widely), chances are you'll find an old punk or an old goth underneath...

My love of the Perfecto style was originally influenced by some of the metal guys I was listening to in the early eighties; I got my first one under the influence of Alice Cooper, the second was a nod to Joey Ramone, and by number three I was looking to Johnny Strabler. These days I especially love the D-Pocket variant of the classic motorcycle jackets, and I tend to prefer engineer boots with that particular cut.

Edward

Bartender
Here's an old one of me in a Perfecto style jacket, with drainpipes and leather TUK brothel-creeper/trainer hybrids... June 2006. I think this was the last time I can remember leaving the house without a hat (at least when not in some form of costume that precludes a hat...):

That's me on the left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot