Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Robert C, Feb 3, 2006.

1. dh66

dh66

Thanks

Those are some really good looking White's

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  2. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Same pair of White's Packers, after a coat of Pecards:

Packers Pecards.jpg

3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Your RW Pecos were the first quality pair of boots I ever bought on my own, after my Sophomore year in High School. Wrote out a check for them from my own account, one of my first checks - $122.00. Right from our hole in the wall Red Wing shop in Champiagn, IL. Had them till long after college. Kind of wish I had held onto them just for "old times" sake.

dh66 likes this.
  4. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Completely agree with this line of thought. It's the first go-around with such a high arch lace-up boot. I tend to prefer a more medium arch for many type sof work, these were bought as an experment.

5. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

At the front

Attached Files:

Blackadder likes this.
  6. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

And here's the same pair of Packers again after helping friends planting corn & soybeans on Saturday...

IMG_7118.JPG

I do often miss life out on the farm.

7. dh66

dh66

20200802_163740.jpg 20200802_163238.jpg
    Red Wing 1155 Pecos on the rocky banks of the Tennessee River today

8. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Been slowly upgrading and diversifying my footwear collection (another rabbit hole...thanks TFL). Mostly Goodyear welted leather soled shoes and boots, so I was wanting something for harsher conditions. Snagged these mystery unbranded packer boots for $30:
    IMG_20200804_161418425.jpg IMG_20200804_161628833.jpg IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3164.JPG

Not as nice as a lot of the boots shown on here, but for being USA made, welted, and with a Vibram 269 Westerner sole I figured low risk high upside. At a minimum I'll get my money's worth of use out of these and can determine if I like the style enough to invest in something of higher quality.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  9. dh66

dh66

20200811_185943.jpg 20200812_091013.jpg 20200812_090930.jpg

Well broken in Red Wing 877s. About as high up as I can get them around here. Cheaha mountain is the tallest one in the state.

10. Mercer

Mercer Familiar Face

Red Wing 875s

117336725_10157543583057546_1801114618813249147_n.jpg 117182624_10157543583087546_8938154504014453861_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  11. dh66

dh66

Great looking 875s. I rode a pair of those pretty hard before I got my 877s. Put 3 sets of soles on 'em before they went to the big shoe closet in the sky. The 875s and 877s are without question the most comfortable boots I've ever worked in. I had a pair of round toe 8166s with the same sole but they weren't even in the same league. They had a cloth lining instead of the leather one and once the soles were gone the tops really weren't worth saving.

Mercer likes this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Really like these. The subtle 'cowboy/ western' touch in the design (the heel shape, and that stitched pattern on the top) are lovely details that really stand apart from so many work-boots. Lovely shade, too.

TheOldFashioned likes this.
  13. JustinW

JustinW One of the Regulars

White’s Brit Tan bounty hunters:
    5345E79D-33A4-464E-A9C2-FA33A4F4EE75.jpeg

Dayton service boots in a burgundy pull-up:

E0D9A06A-85F4-46D3-A198-1664AEC7FDB7.jpeg

14. dannyk

dannyk Practically Family

Ive been strongly considering a Dayton Service Boot. If possible could you give a brief review or comparison? Just not seen that often around here.

15. JustinW

Hmmm, let me see. I’ve had these for about three years. When I was ordering they were in the process of revising their website and significantly marking-up prices, but agreed to give me the old price (as I recall, they went from White’s price to Viberg price in one jump). All the customizable options you’d expect and very well built. I was a little leery about ordering from Canada in case I had to return them. As it turns out, they were a half size small and the free return was easy - they came back a month later a half size longer. I wear these to the office regularly in a business casual setting and get compliments - under trousers, they don’t look like work boots. As much as I love White’s Semi Dress model, I’m not sure they would pass as well in a dressier setting. They are very comfortable and well fitted for my wide feet. I haven’t done any extended hiking in them, but a lot of walking and standing around. Decent arch support, but nothing like White’s. I haven’t looked at the current pricing to be able to say if they are still good value - But I am very happy with mine.

I don’t know if that helps. I can take some detail pictures tonight if you like.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    dannyk likes this.
  16. dannyk

dannyk Practically Family

Thats as I expected. They absolutely used to be an in between Red Wing/Wolverine pricing and the top makers. Seemed to be a nice compromise type of boot. I just checked and the starting pice for service boots is 695 Canadian. Which that is not too bad. But you have 0 options. Its an additional 250 to do MTO. Then certain options cost more. I just did a quick mock build, didnt really pay attention just picked the first option that stood out to me and now Im over 1,000. They definitely made the jump to top tier prices. At that price I can get Whites, Nicks, Wescos. Shame how much its gone up in the last few years.

17. JustinW

Thanks, that just jogged my memory! The MTO fee was added right around the time I was shopping for new boots. I emailed them and they dropped it for me.

dannyk likes this.
  18. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

This thread needs revived!

Here is my old pair of White's Heritage work boots in a more natural setting - a soybean field

DGB_0843.JPG

Michael A, Bushman and dannyk like this.
  19. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Dug up these NOS moc. Today.

Attached Files:

20. StewartU

StewartU New in Town

Great looking boots.

TheOldFashioned likes this.