Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Same pair of White's Packers, after a coat of Pecards:

Packers Pecards.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

Your RW Pecos were the first quality pair of boots I ever bought on my own, after my Sophomore year in High School. Wrote out a check for them from my own account, one of my first checks - $122.00. Right from our hole in the wall Red Wing shop in Champiagn, IL. Had them till long after college. Kind of wish I had held onto them just for "old times" sake.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
White's packers are great boots, and are my favorite casual/light duty boot because I like the high arch. For heavy work and carrying loads, like firewood work, I like a slightly broader, lower heel like the Smoke Jumper or Stockman models.

I hope you enjoy these for a long time!

Completely agree with this line of thought. It's the first go-around with such a high arch lace-up boot. I tend to prefer a more medium arch for many type sof work, these were bought as an experment.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Been slowly upgrading and diversifying my footwear collection (another rabbit hole...thanks TFL). Mostly Goodyear welted leather soled shoes and boots, so I was wanting something for harsher conditions. Snagged these mystery unbranded packer boots for $30:
IMG_20200804_161418425.jpg IMG_20200804_161628833.jpg IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3164.JPG

Not as nice as a lot of the boots shown on here, but for being USA made, welted, and with a Vibram 269 Westerner sole I figured low risk high upside. At a minimum I'll get my money's worth of use out of these and can determine if I like the style enough to invest in something of higher quality.

Last edited:
Great looking 875s. I rode a pair of those pretty hard before I got my 877s. Put 3 sets of soles on 'em before they went to the big shoe closet in the sky. The 875s and 877s are without question the most comfortable boots I've ever worked in. I had a pair of round toe 8166s with the same sole but they weren't even in the same league. They had a cloth lining instead of the leather one and once the soles were gone the tops really weren't worth saving.

Edward

Bartender
Been slowly upgrading and diversifying my footwear collection (another rabbit hole...thanks TFL). Mostly Goodyear welted leather soled shoes and boots, so I was wanting something for harsher conditions. Snagged these mystery unbranded packer boots for $30:
View attachment 251849 View attachment 251850 View attachment 251852 View attachment 251853

Not as nice as a lot of the boots shown on here, but for being USA made, welted, and with a Vibram 269 Westerner sole I figured low risk high upside. At a minimum I'll get my money's worth of use out of these and can determine if I like the style enough to invest in something of higher quality.

Really like these. The subtle 'cowboy/ western' touch in the design (the heel shape, and that stitched pattern on the top) are lovely details that really stand apart from so many work-boots. Lovely shade, too.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Hmmm, let me see. I’ve had these for about three years. When I was ordering they were in the process of revising their website and significantly marking-up prices, but agreed to give me the old price (as I recall, they went from White’s price to Viberg price in one jump). All the customizable options you’d expect and very well built. I was a little leery about ordering from Canada in case I had to return them. As it turns out, they were a half size small and the free return was easy - they came back a month later a half size longer. I wear these to the office regularly in a business casual setting and get compliments - under trousers, they don’t look like work boots. As much as I love White’s Semi Dress model, I’m not sure they would pass as well in a dressier setting. They are very comfortable and well fitted for my wide feet. I haven’t done any extended hiking in them, but a lot of walking and standing around. Decent arch support, but nothing like White’s. I haven’t looked at the current pricing to be able to say if they are still good value - But I am very happy with mine.

I don’t know if that helps. I can take some detail pictures tonight if you like.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Hmmm, let me see. I’ve had these for about three years. When I was ordering they were in the process of revising their website and significantly marking-up prices, but agreed to give me the old price (as I recall, they went from White’s price to Viberg price in one jump). All the customizable options you’d expect and very well built. I was a little leery about ordering from Canada in case I had to return them. As it turns out, they were a half size small and the free return was easy - they came back a month later a half size longer. I wear these to the office regularly in a business casual setting and get compliments - under trousers, they do look like work boots. As much as I love White’s Semi Dress model, I’m not sure that would pass as well in a dressier setting. They are very comfortable and well fitted for my wide feet. I haven’t done any extended hiking in them, but a lot of walking and standing around. Decent arch support, but nothing like White’s. I haven’t looked at the current pricing to be able to say if they are still good value - But I am very happy with mine.

I don’t know if that helps. I can take some detail pictures tonight if you like.
Thats as I expected. They absolutely used to be an in between Red Wing/Wolverine pricing and the top makers. Seemed to be a nice compromise type of boot. I just checked and the starting pice for service boots is 695 Canadian. Which that is not too bad. But you have 0 options. Its an additional 250 to do MTO. Then certain options cost more. I just did a quick mock build, didnt really pay attention just picked the first option that stood out to me and now Im over 1,000. They definitely made the jump to top tier prices. At that price I can get Whites, Nicks, Wescos. Shame how much its gone up in the last few years.

StewartU

New in Town
View attachment 251849 View attachment 251850 View attachment 251852 View attachment 251853

Great looking boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko