Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leather Custom Manhattan

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go on his site and try to choose a different colour.

and what should that tell us now? That the jackets are therefore not worth more than Aero's? if that applies to you, then everything is fine. and others see it differently and that's fine too.

Spiney

One of the Regulars
and what should that tell us now? That the jackets are therefore not worth more than Aero's? if that applies to you, then everything is fine. and others see it differently and that's fine too.
All it tells us is that currently I’m correct regarding colour choice . When I posted this fact I was told I was wrong. It doesn’t say anything about the value of the jackets. As I stated in my first post, I don’t doubt for one second that there is fit and finish differences. I just said that for the price difference ( as with anything I was buying) I’d expect better if I’m paying more.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
All it tells us is that currently I’m correct regarding colour choice . When I posted this fact I was told I was wrong. It doesn’t say anything about the value of the jackets. As I stated in my first post, I don’t doubt for one second that there is fit and finish differences. I just said that for the price difference ( as with anything I was buying) I’d expect better if I’m paying more.
Please read the post in the link below, and the other ones in that thread. Spoiler alert: you'll see colors other than black and teacore.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/field-leathers.100211/page-22#post-2765863

Spiney

One of the Regulars
I didn’t come on here to start arguments or bad feeling. I apologise if that’s the impression the members have received. All I did was post a question and I think it was taken out of context.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I just said that for the price difference ( as with anything I was buying) I’d expect better if I’m paying more.

That doesn't have to be true you know.
A price increase doesn't have to be related to quality increase, it can be a way to manage demand.
I am pretty sure that in the next 5 years Fild Leathers are going to have a price increase just because Greg is soon going to struggle with demand. And unless he trains a second person to do the stitching he will be unable to cope alone. That doesn't mean his future jackets will be better than the current ones.

Now regarding colours, you really have to talk to Greg, his website doesn't show everythign he can do nor does it show everythign he has available.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I am pretty sure that in the next 5 years Fild Leathers are going to have a price increase just because Greg is soon going to struggle with demand.
When he continues to make master pieces like @North_Star Manhattan, I'm pretty sure the demand-side will be no problem at all :)

Not too long ago (8 months) we were pretty skeptical about FL's positioning in the market. Some of us thought his pricing was quite ambitious for a 'newcomer'.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/field-leathers.100211/

Pretty impressive that not even a year later, we think it'll be inevitable for FL's prices to go up. I thinks it's quite an accomplishment. Even more so since he started his business in the midst of a global pandemic. Chapeau to Greg.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
When he continues to make master pieces like @North_Star Manhattan, I'm pretty sure the demand-side will be no problem at all :)

Not too long ago (8 months) we were pretty skeptical about FL's positioning in the market. Some of us thought his pricing was quite ambitious for a 'newcomer'.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/field-leathers.100211/

Pretty impressive that not even a year later, we think it'll be inevitable for FL's prices to go up. I thinks it's quite an accomplishment. Even more so since he started his business in the midst of a global pandemic. Chapeau to Greg.

By "struggle with demand" i meant it the other way around, i meant he is going to struggle to keep up with the increase in orders...

I was originally one who was not convinced, seeing your review made me change my mind and realize Greg could soon be the new John Chapman, i finished reading your review and sent Greg an email.
Seeing this review confirms that to me.
Soon Greg will have to chose, increase prices, or get more people in to work with him.

Edit: i think we are probably in the Field Leathers sweet spot right now, he is still working as a one man opperation, his prices are still low, and he is still open to wild customization.
With time this model is going to have to change to be sustainable.
Either prices will go up, or he will have to increase the size of the team doing the work, or he is going to have to standardize models, or his waiting list will go to 5 years JC style.
He can't keep going as he is now forever...

Last edited:
Greg told me yesterday he has been getting swamped with emails and messages on IG, after having his work showcased in that Youtube video. To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to bother the guy right now with my ideas or if it'd be smart at all. He's probably thinking about standardizing right now, as it is the only logical thing to do and... Well yeah. This will subside a little but as his work will be getting more known, something I have no doubt in. In any case, I should've been quicker...

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Now regarding colours, you really have to talk to Greg, his website doesn't show everythign he can do nor does it show everythign he has available.[/QUOTE]

The colour information came from Greg, not his webpage.

red devil

The colour information came from Greg, not his webpage.

I might be wrong, but Carlos meant that you have to be regularly in touch with Greg to see what is available at the moment. You are correct, when you contacted him, he had the 3 colours you mentionned. But in another thread, we saw that he is looking for antique brown, which would add another colour. So in short, nobody is saying you are wrong in saying the he currently, as in in this moment, has the colours you mentionned.

But keep in mind that his available leathers is not set in stone and is currently evolving.

Edit: fixed the weird quote

red devil

By "struggle with demand" i meant it the other way around, i meant he is going to struggle to keep up with the increase in orders...

I was originally one who was not convinced, seeing your review made me change my mind and realize Greg could soon be the new John Chapman, i finished reading your review and sent Greg an email.
Seeing this review confirms that to me.
Soon Greg will have to chose, increase prices, or get more people in to work with him.

Edit: i think we are probably in the Field Leathers sweet spot right now, he is still working as a one man opperation, his prices are still low, and he is still open to wild customization.
With time this model is going to have to change to be sustainable.
Either prices will go up, or he will have to increase the size of the team doing the work, or he is going to have to standardize models, or his waiting list will go to 5 years JC style.
He can't keep going as he is now forever...

He is well aware of this and wants to manage it responsibly. The full custom designs take him a lot of time, so he will either stop them or as I suggested limit them to a few a year. My mock up is due in about 4 weeks if all goes well :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
He is well aware of this and wants to manage it responsibly. The full custom designs take him a lot of time, so he will either stop them or as I suggested limit them to a few a year. My mock up is due in about 4 weeks if all goes well :)

Yep, my mockup was supposed to be done in late january and finished jacket in late March, i have a feeling it is going to take longer than that... Hopefully not Goodwear long....

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I might be wrong, but Carlos meant that you have to be regularly in touch with Greg to see what is available at the moment. You are correct, when you contacted him, he had the 3 colours you mentionned. But in another thread, we saw that he is looking for antique brown, which would add another colour. So in short, nobody is saying you are wrong in saying the he currently, as in in this moment, has the colours you mentionned.

But keep in mind that his available leathers is not set in stone and is currently evolving.

Edit: fixed the weird quote

Exactly, i asked for natural leather, Greg sourced it...

red devil

Yep, my mockup was supposed to be done in late january and finished jacket in late March, i have a feeling it is going to take longer than that... Hopefully not Goodwear long....

He is well aware of the GW situation and wants to avoid it at all costs nd I think he will be bale to. But as discussed here, he will have to adapt.

marker2037

Practically Family
Greg told me yesterday he has been getting swamped with emails and messages on IG, after having his work showcased in that Youtube video. To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to bother the guy right now with my ideas or if it'd be smart at all. He's probably thinking about standardizing right now, as it is the only logical thing to do and... Well yeah. This will subside a little but as his work will be getting more known, something I have no doubt in. In any case, I should've been quicker...
Greg told me the same thing. He's been bombarded from 40 different people because of that video. I haven't seen it yet, but I came to the realization that I needed to execute and take action before he got too far behind. I've been following Greg on IG just about since the Field Leathers thread started and we've messaged back and forth often, mostly me saying how awestruck I was of some design, execution, or precision stitch work. I told him I'd be ordering eventually, but I was originally waiting on him to get brass zips and snaps as well as some other leather options.

So once he got the brass in in September he messaged me and then I found out teacore was an option in October. That pretty much hooked me since I only have one black jacket and no teacore. I've since been waiting to finalize what design I wanted to do. I always thought a Manhattan base with brass would be the direction I went in, but I also knew he was wanting to put out some new designs so I wanted to see what those entailed.

Last night, I decided to go with my original plan though since his new designs still aren't done and it doesn't look like he'll have much time in the near future to put those out.

Manhattan ordered in teacore and brass with belt loops and locharron lining.

oskar

One of the Regulars
Maybe if we find enough people he will bring back brown. Some shoemakers have a sikiliar service. If you find enough people they will produce a certain new model or color

red devil

I am pretty sure that with enough demand he will source whatever is requested. He can't afford to keep too much stock of unique colours

Edit: as long as requested colour is useable, I remember he had problems with one of the browns because it was inconsistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ