Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

giasty

New in Town
I placed my order :) Let's start with my 7 months wait!!
Now I have to "study" a lot of thread/photos in order to understand what I really want from my first leather jacket.

By now, I have these to models in my mind (sorry Marc mndt, I've already downloaded tens of your photos as samples... You will be a model for my choices :D ):
- https://www.thefedoralounge.com/attachments/917da8e0-ff20-4c2f-ae17-f378fd2eb198-jpeg.240812/
- https://www.thefedoralounge.com/attachments/81381303-ed80-46fb-b99b-245d2b6b5d40-jpeg.285116/
I think I will start from something similar to one of these two.
Do you think Greg can do something similar to the first photo? It seems very light, and I surely want a very light leather jacket sooner or later. Maybe Shinki leather is not the best solution for such an idea of jacket? Do you think Greg uses something else, more appropriate?
Otherwise I think I will go with the second solution and "style", maybe asking some changes in details...

(Sorry if I say something nonsense... About the two jackets I want...I think that the cafe racer looks better unzipped, and I imagine to wear it with only a tshirt under it, so in my mind the jacket should be very light. Instead, with a style similar to the second photo, I imagine to wear the jacket also with a thin sweater, also in a less hot day, so I imagine a jacket a bit less light. From photos, it seems that Greg's leather is more appropriate with my second idea, but I ask you confirmation...)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Do you think Greg can do something similar to the first photo? It seems very light, and I surely want a very light leather jacket sooner or later. Maybe Shinki leather is not the best solution for such an idea of jacket? Do you think Greg uses something else, more appropriate?

The cafe racer I'm wearing is a HD Sportster which is indeed lightweight.

The Field Leathers Idaho I'm wearing is made out of full aniline Shinki which is considerably heavier (but still only mid weight).

I think FL's pigment dyed shinki would be perfect for you. It has a nice sheen, it's grainy and relatively lightweight. I think in terms of weight it's comparable to the HD.

@Tom71 has a pigment dyed FL cafe racer. Maybe he could tell you some more about its weight.

Pandemic

One Too Many
FF97B877-287F-4FF2-BCD0-F9D8C4776492.jpeg
C9BCFD13-B9BF-4285-8834-CC378AF36F30.jpeg

Brown pigment-dyed Shinki :)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I placed my order :) Let's start with my 7 months wait!!
Now I have to "study" a lot of thread/photos in order to understand what I really want from my first leather jacket.

By now, I have these to models in my mind (sorry Marc mndt, I've already downloaded tens of your photos as samples... You will be a model for my choices :D ):
- https://www.thefedoralounge.com/attachments/917da8e0-ff20-4c2f-ae17-f378fd2eb198-jpeg.240812/
- https://www.thefedoralounge.com/attachments/81381303-ed80-46fb-b99b-245d2b6b5d40-jpeg.285116/
I think I will start from something similar to one of these two.
Otherwise I think I will go with the second solution and "style", maybe asking some changes in details...

(Sorry if I say something nonsense... About the two jackets I want...I think that the cafe racer looks better unzipped, and I imagine to wear it with only a tshirt under it, so in my mind the jacket should be very light. Instead, with a style similar to the second photo, I imagine to wear the jacket also with a thin sweater, also in a less hot day, so I imagine a jacket a bit less light. From photos, it seems that Greg's leather is more appropriate with my second idea, but I ask you confirmation...)

Congratulations in advance! I’m just ahead of you in the cue.

Greg is making a special version of a premier highwayman. I figured it’s a safe pattern for me, and something he’s quite familiar with making from his days at Aero.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations in advance! I’m just ahead of you in the cue.

Greg is making a special version of a premier highwayman. I figured it’s a safe pattern for me, and something he’s quite familiar with making from his days at Aero.

Oooh nice! That will be one to watch out for sure!

Come the end of the year we should have an avalanche of new FL jackets!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He received 27 orders within 7 weeks. At this rate there will be a a lead time of >2 years within no time.
We'll see how Greg will this manage. I'm afraid the market for perfectionists is not exactly abundant. So it should look rather bad for his strengthening. And just delegating administration will not create enough leeway.

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
lol
It's good that the long wait puts me off.
If the Badalassi had been available, I would have ordered before Christmas. Since it was still manageable lol
I was in the same boat back in October and I held out for a while. I didn't want another shinki jacket but then I realized I might never get a jacket if I didn't hop on line. I really liked that green badalassi

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was in the same boat back in October and I held out for a while. I didn't want another shinki jacket but then I realized I might never get a jacket if I didn't hop on line. I really liked that green badalassi

I understand that.
I had the advantage of getting the very first commercial jacket from Greg. At that time, I think it took a maximum of 4 weeks. Unfortunately, there was no mockup option yet.
In this respect, the need was not so great to jump on the train. lol

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
If you get in now, you’ll have a new jacket ready before it gets cold next year. Leave it a few more months and that might not be the case.
I'm in, got lucky to have made my decision before the avalanche

I understand that.
I had the advantage of getting the very first commercial jacket from Greg. At that time, I think it took a maximum of 4 weeks. Unfortunately, there was no mockup option yet.
In this respect, the need was not so great to jump on the train. lol

Your jacket on IG over the summer was what put Greg on my radar. I just waited too long into the fall.

Edit: spell check

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Does anyone know which Shinki HH is used on Field Leathers? Is it the output that goes to FW, RMC and possibly Rainbow Country or is it from the pile for the others such as Himel, Goodwear, SB etc.

Of course I could ask Greg directly, but I'm not sure if he knows which leather goes to FW and RMC. It would be best if a forum member could make a comparison who has both or all three: FW, RMC and Field Leathers. Thank you!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Does anyone know which Shinki HH is used on Field Leathers? Is it the output that goes to FW, RMC and possibly Rainbow Country or is it from the pile for the others such as Himel, Goodwear, SB etc.

Of course I could ask Greg directly, but I'm not sure if he knows which leather goes to FW and RMC. It would be best if a forum member could make a comparison who has both or all three: FW, RMC and Field Leathers. Thank you!

Why I am asking, somewhere I read about delivery from shinki hikaku leather ... I found it (Post from Himelator):

... "Now Shinki can only supply a few companies, me included...they do not have the capacity of a company like Victoria with its huge drums and quick tan process which is why the leather is almost twice as expensive. Second, Shinki is selling small amounts through an agent of front quarter to Europe. These are not custom orders and are small runs. For the most part the thickest skins at Shinki (rare as I stated before) go to McCoys and Flathead.....JC and I take up the room on the other product...and whats leftover goes where-ever." ...

Source: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ki-hikaku-horsehide.88929/page-7#post-2232988

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Is it the output that goes to FW, RMC and possibly Rainbow Country or is it from the pile for the others such as Himel, Goodwear, SB etc.

Non of these. Afaik he currently buys from a middleman. He's working on getting a recommendation so he'll be able to buy directly from the source in the near future.

Regardless, I think it's useless to compare one company's shinki to another's. I received a couple of swatches from different badges of FL's brown pigment dyed shinki. (As used for @JustinW jacket)

They differ in terms of temper, color and sheen. Even the flesh sides look different.

225F1999-E071-4830-8B61-A075C4F1FA6A.jpeg
22803160-FA52-413C-AEFB-D3B61FB8C8B7.jpeg

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana