Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

58panheadfan

One Too Many
... Regardless, I think it's useless to compare one company's shinki to another's. I received a couple of swatches from different badges of FL's brown pigment dyed shinki. They differ in terms of temper, color and sheen. Even the flesh sides look different.

Thank you for these informations. Useless..? Yes, because in fact, leather can turn out very differently from one patch to another. Even RMCs and FWs "custom orders" are different. It's like wine, there are sometimes big differences from vintage to vintage. No, because for me, (but that is subjective) I stick to the "custom" made shinki hh leather from FW and have never owned anything comparable for my liking. Of course it's everyone's own taste and not to mention the finish ... that's a different story.

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
Feels a bit like a rhetorical question to me... as you say if not even more established western makers like himel or JC do get first dibs on first grade (?) shinki... apparently that stays in Japan.

The seal Shinki on my rainbow country (non teacore, so I assume is the other shinki variety, oil-tanned?) is really my favourite looking leather. I’ve also seen some oldish brown HH jackets from RMC and Freewheelers not very appealing to me. Not sure if that was Shinki though. I think Greg gets a pretty decent batch as far as I can tell.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Feels a bit like a rhetorical question to me... as you say if not even more established western makers like himel or JC do get first dibs on first grade (?) shinki... apparently that stays in Japan.

The seal Shinki on my rainbow country (non teacore, so I assume is the other shinki variety, oil-tanned?) is really my favourite looking leather. I’ve also seen some oldish brown HH jackets from RMC and Freewheelers not very appealing to me. Not sure if that was Shinki though. I think Greg gets a pretty decent batch as far as I can tell.

It is ... regarding the quality I only quoted what Himelator said about it. It's also not about which leather is the best. With my question I just wanted to find out whether the leather used by FL is similar or the same as that of FW. Whereby I have to clarify in this regard that I am talking about FW leather used for the past few years. Of course, the leather used by FL is, as far as I can tell from photos, very beautiful. But I assume, as far as Himelator has explained, would FL use the same leather as FW, its price would explode even if it is a one-man-factory and can therefore keep the labor costs low.

Edit: As mentioned, the leather used for a leather jacket is subjective. What one likes may not please the other.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for these informations. Useless..? Yes, because in fact, leather can turn out very differently from one patch to another. Even RMCs and FWs "custom orders" are different. It's like wine, there are sometimes big differences from vintage to vintage. No, because for me, (but that is subjective) I stick to the "custom" made shinki hh leather from FW and have never owned anything comparable for my liking. Of course it's everyone's own taste and not to mention the finish ... that's a different story.
I haven't handled a FW so I couldn't tell, but I get what you're saying. Personally, I love FL's full aniline Shinki but I'm not interested in their pigment dyed. Matter of personal preference.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
For my second project, a Caboose inspired halfbelt, Greg ordered a small batch of this russet brown pull-up oil tanned pony shinki.

For my third project, a J24 style d pocket, I'll go for black full aniline. I love how it creases.

18C726AC-9F24-44F8-AAF7-2514AEC48A4A.jpeg

7710B90D-9431-454F-B4A2-B23D052B1299.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
For my second project, a Caboose inspired halfbelt, Greg ordered a small batch of this russet brown pull-up oil tanned pony shinki.

For my third project, a J24 style d pocket, I'll go for black full aniline. I love how it creases.

View attachment 318581

View attachment 318580

Nice! They russet looks phenomenal! Hope to get an oil tanned jacket from him too.

So the ELMC will be moving on soon? Hope to get my J24 in the coming months

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Definitely not. It's one of my favorite jackets. In total I've owned 4 of them, each was made out of slightly different leather and had a slightly different cut. This one fits best. My first one had the most beautiful grain but had gotten too small.

View attachment 318606

View attachment 318607

Got it, I remember it took a while to get another right sized elmc Californian. I meant the other Eastman you have, the D pocket? Or did you already move that on?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Got it, I remember it took a while to get another right sized elmc Californian. I meant the other Eastman you have, the D pocket? Or did you already move that on?
Oh yes of course. I indeed thought about replacing the Roadstar with the Michigan. But there might be a place for both of them. The FL (middle) is a bit more reddish black as compared to the ELMC (left)
78DAD36A-7EC9-4448-8969-31279C5ACAAB.jpeg

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Oh yes of course. I indeed though about replacing the Roadstar with the Michigan. But there might be a place for both of them. The FL (middle) is a bit more reddish black as compared to the ELMC (left)
View attachment 318618

That's true. The roadstar fits you perfectly too so it's a shame to move it on.

Love how the full aniline shinki rolls. What's the guy on the right? Grain on grains.

Update on my full aniline jacket
IMG_2087.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's true. The roadstar fits you perfectly too so it's a shame to move it on.

Love how the full aniline shinki rolls. What's the guy on the right? Grain on grains.

Update on my full aniline jacket
View attachment 318647
Beautiful. I really do like the full aniline best. I only now realize you choose contrast stitching. Great choice.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful. I really do like the full aniline best. I only now realize you choose contrast stitching. Great choice.
I get why, man. Full aniline goodness at its best. I love how the brown shinki is slowly darkening/showing marks and I'm thinking it's similar to the bruciato Thedi.
Thank you, it really shows off Gregs skill and it's subtle enough. I'm going with brown stitching on the black teacore modified j24 project.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Well... I couldn't let you gents have all the fun so here we go! With 8 to 9 months lead time.. I've got plenty of time to figure out what I want lol. Not to mention get some advice from you FL jacket owners!

View attachment 319208
Crazy, I ordered Tuesday #1504, which means he had 5 orders since.

Orders are definitely coming in faster than he can make jackets.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Well... I couldn't let you gents have all the fun so here we go! With 8 to 9 months lead time.. I've got plenty of time to figure out what I want lol. Not to mention get some advice from you FL jacket owners!

View attachment 319208

Congrats for taking the plunge! I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed in the materials and construction. Can't wait to see what you decide to go with and subtle details to show off your personality and style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana