Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson's Packer coat?

budrichard

Familiar Face
Can't say enough about Filson. Been wearing the stuff for thirty years. Have two double cruisers, my son has my Wool Cape Coat because I grew and I have a lot of other Filson including the double tin both oiled and unoiled I use for hunting. Only purchase the Made in USA stuff because they recently took some of the production off shore and i'm not sure of the quality. The double Wool coats are indestructable along with the tin cloth gear. Unoiled tin cloth requires no break in while oiled tin cloth does. I have switched to mostly unoiled while my son got my old oiled stuff for hunting. -Dick

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I own several Filson garments, including a double Makinaw, a Makinaw vest, Shelter cloth rain parka, and a travel vest. The vest and double mac were hand-me-downs from a friend who outgrew them. As others have said, quality is unsurpassed. It does get windy in Wyoming (gusts to 70 mph today and predicted for the rest of the week). If I plan to be outside for any extended time in a strong wind, I wear my Carhartt Arctic parka with hood. The Filson just doesn't cut the wind as well as the Carhartt.

Livingston

New in Town
In 2008 I received the Mackinaw Wool Packer Coat in the Charcoal color and it's performed superbly. It is rather heavy at around four pounds, but the warmth out weighs the weight. I have never been cold in this jacket even at -10 degrees Fahrenheit when I camped in the mountains here in Northeast Oregon last January. If I thought I was getting cold, I just turned up the lambskin collar. The collar isn't as soft as a lambskin seatbelt cover, but it is plush and effectively keeps you feeling warm and comfortable. I'd recommend this jacket to anyone looking for a beautiful, warm, rugged and traditional jacket. Its exceptional workmanship and quality are exactly what you'd expect from a jacket made in the USA and I can honestly say that I've never been more satisfied.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Andy, you'll like yours I think. I love Filson. If I ever get to a cooler climate, I'm going to start wearing their wool. Hopefully, they'll still be around then and not get bought out by some corporation that will make the goods overseas somewhere.

andy richards

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:
Andy, you'll like yours I think. I love Filson. If I ever get to a cooler climate, I'm going to start wearing their wool. Hopefully, they'll still be around then and not get bought out by some corporation that will make the goods overseas somewhere.

Thanks Tony,
I agree and sure hope Filson keeps their factory open in Seattle.
Andy

budrichard

Familiar Face
Filson has indeed been purchased by the same holding company that owns Ralph Lauren a number of years ago.
Much of what was produced in the USA has been sourced off shore but sold here at the same price point.
Much od the Tin cloth but not all and Mackinaw jackets are still USA manufacture but I am sure that will eventually change.
Me, I don't purchase any of the stuff made off shore and since they have stopped offering any camo stuff for hunting, its unlikely I will purchase anything new from Filson again.
My Filson now comes via eBay.-Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR