Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first post and winter coat question

Cody Wilson

New in Town
greetings all, my name is Cody and I live in the lovely land of Iowa.
im trying to decide on a winter coat for this year as its supposed to be quite a cold winter and I dont think my motorcycle jacket is up to the job.

I'm basically trying to decide between a jacket like this http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19319696&cp=2446814
or something like this http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produ...9659376&cp=2446814.11487507&parentPage=family

Mind you, these are not the exact jackets im looking at, just representations of my thrift store options. I'm just not sure which style with better for a bad winter, Ill be using it mostly for walking around outside (college town) and occasional shoveling. warmth is a concern(mainly for tailgating) but so is ease of movement (driving, etc)

Also, thanks everyone for your input, I am loving this forum and all its information.

winterland1

Practically Family
Both jackets would keep you warm. I would try for a real sheepskin bomber over the faux even at that sale price. They do pop up on ebay for decent prices. It would be a used one but it would not be fake shearling or distressed but actually worn in. Shearling is warm.
Here are a few.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=schott+bomber&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc
If this was my size I would make an offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-lambskin-leather-bomber-jacket-large-/151008919365?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item2328d53f45
The wool Wilson jacket looks nice and is on sale. You might be able to find a Schott that is similiar style or could go for a wool duffle coat. Filson wool Cruisers are very warm also. Depends on what style you like. No sense in getting something you won't wear.
Most here have no problem with used jackets but if you want new then you will be more limited if on a budget.
Make sure to get measurements when buying. Measure a jacket you have to find what will fit you.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Cody Wilson

New in Town
thank you for the quick reply winterland.

new vs used isn't really an issue for me. I love the vintage stuff, and I'm hitting my local thrift shops hard to get a good deal. only issue im running into is that I am a bigger man (typically about 2x) this is mainly due to wide shoulders. I feel like this kind of limits me on vintage stuff, because I seem to be running across a few older bombers, just not the right size.

keeping my eyes glued to craigslist and ebay as well. will update with thrift store finds.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Oh brother! As a charter member of the "broad shoulder's club" I have to tell you that you're gonna be in for a rough go. They sell stuff in our size but it's not plentiful and rarely stylish. I've had many more ebay and used jacket busts than victories over the years which is why I'm trying so hard to lose more weight. It's a whole different world if you can get down to a 48 in a coat.

As for a good winter coat... depends if you want it to cover your buttocks or not. If not, Schott makes plenty of leather and wool jackets that can be found cheap. Also as Winterland suggested you can do real well used REAL Shearling lined bomber and flight jackets. I have a Pre-War Irvin I copped used from a member here and it saved my butt last winter when snowblowing and trudging through drifts.

In a longer coat, again as Winterland suggested, a good English Duffle coat would work as might a real Peacoat with a sweater underneath. Wool Mackinaws on Ebay are also great for winter wear. There's plenty out there... keep searching and let us know what you git.

Worf

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
If you can find a Filson Double Mac, they are very warm coats.

+1. You should also check out Bemidji Woolen Mills. They make a couple very warm jackets at a little more reasonable price point than Filson.

I'd also recommend Stormy Kromer's Town Coat. They have 2012 XXL models on close out for $169 and XXL talls for $179 in a selection of colors. They're made of 26 oz virgin wool.

Located in Bemidji, MN and Ironwood, MI they must know about keeping warm. Cheers

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I like the last couple of suggestions, specially a pre-owned Filson Double Mac.
I'd also look for a nice vintage pea coat.
There's tons of them around.
PM Peacoat for help if you need.
He's the expert.
Go figure! :D
Lenny

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Not only is Bemidji a lot less expensive than Filson, I have to give them points for having the pockets fasten with buttons. I don't like snaps and, that's all Filson uses on their pockets.

Does anybody here have the Bemidji North Shore Double? I'd like to know if it has any interior pockets. Also, I'm wondering if there will be much of a difference between their 30oz wool and 21oz wool (the weight is specific to the color choice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari