Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson's Tin Cloth Owners, I have a Question

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I found the Tin jacket on sale for $160.00 so I took the plunge, figured it would be great for shoveling, stacking wood for the wood burner, and just general use. I knew it had an oil finish but I guess I wasn't expecting such a visibly oily finish, and I can't decide whether it feels cold and a tad wet maybe?

Anyway I'll gladly sacrifice a little water resistance for a coat that doesn't look like it spent a week on the bottom of a fry trap. Has anyone removed the oil? What were the results, also does the finish and oil kind of wear in and give the appearance of a normal coat after a bit? Does the oil seep through the coat and stain your clothing underneath? Thanks!

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I have a Barbour waxed cotton jacket the the company recommends never washing in hot water or risk washing out the finish, is there a similar warning label on your coat? maybe a hot water wash would remove the oily feel.
Good luck

IXL

One Too Many
The only clothing I wear under the tin cloth is old "I don't care if oil from the tractor soaks it" clothing, but I have never really noticed any staining. The finish of the material will begin to change with some hard use but will always look like a heavy, waxed canvas. I have avoided wearing any of my tin cloth gear while seated in a vehicle; I just don't want to take a chance on oiling the seats. I even keep all the T-C gear sandwiched between "throw away" clothes, when hanging in the closet, just in case oil might leach out, although I've never noticed this to occur.
Be aware this material does not breath well, at all. But for doing battle against cedar trees while wielding a chainsaw, it is armor with no peer. It actually does feel cold/wet when first donned. I hadn't considered this until you mentioned it, but that sensation doesn't last long for me when I'm working. If you are shucking firewood you shoud be fine.
I don't know about fry-trap looks, but my stuff does smell like some of the old tents we used while in the Boy Scouts. When it gets dirty just use a stiff brush to clean.

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
Greetings
I have a Tin Cruiser that is my go too jacket for wet weather. I usually wear a pair of single tins when I'm out in the woods taking my dog out. I found that you need to break the stuff in with hard use in bad weather, and it will loose the oily stock finish. With hard use, I find I re-apply the wax once or twice a year. If you do that, it will outlast you. You can wash the finish away in the washer, but certainly let it air dry, or it will shrink badly. Just remember though by washing it, you will loose the watter repellency

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Seems a bit strange to get one of these jackets and then remove the 'tin'. How about this - save yourself the trouble of washing it and rendering it useless. Just sell it and get a straight cotton duck coat for a lot less $$$.

;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, they're meant to be oily - hence the term oil cloth. It diminishes and evaporates with use and in getting wet. They are not everyone's cup of tea, despite various fashion houses trying to make the fabric cool.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have several Filson oil cloth jackets, including one tin cloth. I haven't really noticed a problem with any of them. It is necessary to apply more wax from time to time that I mostly don't do. The Filson waxed tin cloth is without a doubt the most bullet proof jacket known to man. It will definitely survive the briar patch better than you. BTW Filson also has dry tin cloth jackets that are not waxed.

DougC

Practically Family
Wear it and the finish will either wear off or settle in. I think if you wash it, you might notice the inside of the jacket will get wax on it. I say hard wear will work best to knock off the finish.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Well, they're meant to be oily - hence the term oil cloth. It diminishes and evaporates with use and in getting wet. They are not everyone's cup of tea, despite various fashion houses trying to make the fabric cool.

Do you own a Filson's oil finish tin cloth jacket? They are REALLY oily, like they appear like they were dipped in vegetable oil oily. I don't have the luxury of owning a jacket I can only wear while walking a dog or some other activity I do maybe a couple times a year. I bought it to be an everyday casual jacket as well as to throw on in bad weather. I wasn't aware it was actually wet and oily to the touch and the oil seeps onto clothes beneath. I assumed it was more a waxed cotton where the finish is dry to the touch. Plus having a non-water resistant jacket hardly makes it worthless, with the mackinaw wool vest it's warm and solid jacket.

Tags are still on, I'll just return it, it's a shame, nice looking jacket.

(they don't offer this jacket not oiled and it's the only one I like and in my budget, I'm not paying $300+ dollars for a canvas jacket, $160 was steep IMO).

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Seems a bit strange to get one of these jackets and then remove the 'tin'. How about this - save yourself the trouble of washing it and rendering it useless. Just sell it and get a straight cotton duck coat for a lot less $$$.

;)

The tin isn't the oil finish, Filson's oil finishes other cloth lines like their sheltercloth, the "tin cloth" is the 12 oz cotton. Refers to toughness of it, so removing the oil would not "remove the tin"

I could just buy a Dickies duck coat but then it isn't a FIlson's is it? You could go buy a Wilson's leather and save yourself quite a bit of cash, but it isn't quite an Aero, Vanson, or LW is it?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Before you return it, try this:
Hang it in a small room and put a space heater in it.
Crank it up to high and let it sit.
Maybe some of the oil will sink deeper into the fabric.
For what it's worth, I bought a Lewis Creek Waxed Cotton jacket.
http://www.lewiscreek.com/
Although not as thick as the Tin Cloth, the cloth is only minimally oily.
It also has a lot of nice features that Filson's dont:
Cotton lining with nylon bottom piece for wear resistance, adjustable storm cuffs to keep the wind out, 2 or 3 (I forget) inside pockets, and some others that I can't think of right now.
It's also very water resistant and breathes well.
Plus, I got mine for a great price on eBay from the guy who runs Lewis Creek.
No offense to all you Filson lovers, but I've seen and tried on Filson jackets.
The Lewis Creek is much nicer in all aspects.
Don't get me wrong, I love Filson's luggage (have 2 pieces) and wool (killer wool vest).
But compared to Lewis Creek, and probably Belstaff and Barbour, I think their waxed cotton coats fall short.
Lenny

Last edited:

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
My tin pants were oily when new, but it wears off when you wear them out and get them wet. Some people don't like the feel as they can seem wet and chilly, but it is just the material. If you are moving around, they warm up. Some folks like to wear a base layer under them. I wear my Tin Cruiser out and about, and get lots of compliments with people wanting to know where I got it. It has been rained on plenty, and it keeps me dry, and there is no waxiness about it. Like my earlier post, you just have to wear it out in the rain, and break it in, and it will become a favorite.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I literally have to wash my hands and my face after handling this jacket for a couple minutes, it's crazy, it feels like putting on a jacket that spent 30 minutes in the dryer when it needed 60, think clammy and moist, then your hands are glistening with oil. What is amazing is how anyone wears this stuff at all, when I say it's disgusting I don't say that with even a little bit of hyperbole. I guess if you use it exclusively for duck hunting or something, but I tend to like multi-use gear, especially when it's pretty pricey. Who can afford that much for a wet oily coat you can't wear without putting oil on everything, and you can only wear when cutting wood or hunting? I only write this out of shear amazement of how oily and nasty this jacket is, and how after reading tons of stuff online I couldn't find any complaints about it. I chalk it up to people buying expensive stuff and saying only positive things about it to justify their purchase.

Last edited:

Todd V

Familiar Face
double post

Hang in there. After a few weeks it will dry off substantially and that oily feeling with virtually disappear. The color will also lighten. In fact I just rewaxed mine because it had dried out so much after two years.

The super-oily feeling you get when they are new does NOT last very long. Stick with it.

IXL

One Too Many
I purchased tin cloth garments for one purpose: to wear while working on my land. The wet-and-clammy feeling goes away quickly when one is being active. I always wear something under it, anyway. It is waterproof, which is good, but it doesn't breath, which sometimes ain't so good.
I never intended to wear this stuff while on a date; it works as intended very well. Like I posted earlier, I don't wear it while in the vehicle because I never wanted to take a chance of oiling my seat, but I can tell you that my jacket doesn't "drip" oil, either.
I don't wash them, I work hard in them and then use a bristle brush to clean them to a tolerable level.
The only "multi-tasking" I expect from tin cloth garments is to protect my delicate hide while I perform a variety of outdoor chores, which they do well. And besides, the cruiser jacket has a real neat "tunnel" pocket across the lower back which is perfect for storing a sammich!! :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I literally have to wash my hands and my face after handling this jacket for a couple minutes, it's crazy, it feels like putting on a jacket that spent 30 minutes in the dryer when it needed 60, think clammy and moist, then your hands are glistening with oil. What is amazing is how anyone wears this stuff at all, when I say it's disgusting I don't say that with even a little bit of hyperbole. I guess if you use it exclusively for duck hunting or something, but I tend to like multi-use gear, especially when it's pretty pricey. Who can afford that much for a wet oily coat you can't wear without putting oil on everything, and you can only wear when cutting wood or hunting? I only write this out of shear amazement of how oily and nasty this jacket is, and how after reading tons of stuff online I couldn't find any complaints about it. I chalk it up to people buying expensive stuff and saying only positive things about it to justify their purchase.

Precisely why oil cloth may not be your thing. Maybe try a Belstaff?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
You might want to try their mid-weight Shelter Cloth or light-weight Cover Cloth.
Both are more breathable than the Tin Cloth and I'll bet they don't come as greasy feeling.
Lenny

apba1166

A-List Customer
I felt the same way...diappointed and how can i wear this, smudgy feeling on hands, backs of shirts (mine was a Levi trucker) but after a dozen or so hard wears....working outside, rain, etc....i really like it....feels fine now, no residue, warmer than it seems...because less porous....liked it so much I went and bought the pants! They are great too. I am not a Filson fan per se....shirts have buttkns falling off, overpriced I think....but these items I do like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner