Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally found some boots White's Semi Dress

winterland1

Practically Family
I'm happy. I have been looking for some new boots for a bit. I tried on Red Wing Heritage and Wolverine 1000 mile and settled on Red Wings 8 1/2D. Am on a budget and was watching for a deal on black Red Wing Beckmans. Used, clearance, whatever.
Whites had always been out of my mind as they are more expensive. Lo and behold I found these used White's Semi Dress boots in size 8 1/2 for a nice price. They are in great shape. Soles barely worn. A couple scuffs but they are going to get scuffed anyways.

They are size 8 1/2 D black Horween Chromexcel leather, leather toe caps, block heel, brown edge, Vibram 700 sole, nickle eyes and hooks. Not sure of other features.

Wow are they a substantial shoe on your foot. Took a bit to get used to but they feel very good. Talking an hour or so. I am lucky to find my size. They of course were broken in by someone elses foot but they feel fine.
If I was to get picky they are a hair loose. I am wearing a med/light merino sock. I could go for a little thicker sock but like the merino ones I have.
I was wondering if anyone has every tried to shrink their boots a hair? I'm talking something that could normally happen like just get them all wet and see if they tighten up any when dried. I sent an email to White's asking about this and of course they said they could rebuild to a smaller size. Ha! No we won't be going there.

Going to read up a little and see if people usually condition theirs. Am in Minnesota so will be walking in snow and wet from time to time going in and our of the car etc.

IMAG0218.jpg IMAG0222.jpg IMAG0215.jpg IMAG0225.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely Done!!!
I like those a lot. I'm in the same boat- looking around and trying on. So far I like the Wolverine Krause 1000mi, but would really love to score a pair of Viberg or something like these....
Congratulations!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
White's are simply brilliant. I am breaking in a very similar pair to the ones you showed myself. Semi dress boot in dress black leather, lowered cuban heel with no cap toe.

I know what you mean about substantial! Blimey!

I got them after having to send three pairs of Iron Rangers back because of quality control issues. What got me riled was the IR came with a hand signed note saying 'checked by' when in each case there was a flapping great bit of extra leather hanging off the cap toe. I was like.... who in blazes would boast about checking that? I was quite disappointed cos I own two other pairs of Red Wings that I love. Had to upgrade though, and White's are at another level so congrats to you!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice boots. About the size issue you might try some thick insoles? This is the usual trick I believe but wouldn't help if the extra room is in width. I don't think you can shrink boots.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
You could possibly have them relasted to a smidge smaller, but I'd only consider doing that when they were due for a resole. In the meantime, go with a thin insole or a thicker sock and wear them in good health- Congrats! I really love the subtlety of the cap toe- looks extra sharp

(I recently ordered a pair of MTO SDs myself :) )

Last edited:

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Beautiful boots!
You won't shrink them. I have worn leather boots in all kinds of weather and doing all kinds of activities, and I have never had a pair shrink. I'm talking snow in winter, desert sun, stomping through fires, etc. They may stiffen up until you break them back in a bit, but they won't shrink. Thicker socks are your friend. :)

Andy B.

winterland1

Practically Family
They are definetly going to be fine. I can tell they just have to break into my feet. I wore a little thicker merino sock and they tightened right up. Actually I was on my feet for about 3 hours at a concert tonight, My Bloody Valentine, if there are any music fans out there, so I was really feeling my new boots. We got intimate. My left foot even felt a little tight at times. I had laced them fairly tight. Just had to loosen up the laces right at the top of the foot. Was rocking out. Good way to break in boots.

It is interesting to hear that peoples leather shoes haven't tightened up after getting a soak then drying. I know when I condition my Timberland boat shoes and my hand made moccasins, I warm up the leather and put the conditioner on to soak in. The next day I always feel them tighten up. I do that with hunting boots also but they don't really shrink as they are insulated and seem braced somehow.

It's all good. Was nice to wear my White's and my black Alexander Leathers Roadster out on the town. It tests all the jackets pockets as I seem to use them all. I need good pockets. I hate losing things. Car keys zipped away tight.

The journey of leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21