Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally... my 'homemade' hat

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
It's been a while since I've posted in 'Hats', but I'm back, and I finally took some pictures of the first hat I renovated on my homemade hatblock. It's not quite Indy, more 'Indy-esque', and I'm pretty proud of it (being my first attempt!). The hat I picked up at an antiques mall here in Rapid City, the ribbon and sweat from a little shop in Wichita Falls, TX, while on TDY this summer. It was a 7 3/8 Resistol Western 8X (I think...), but I managed to stretch it into a 7 1/2-7 5/8! AND... I trimmed more than 5/8" off the brim the whole way 'round! Here we go... this might take a little while!

First, the hatblock. I've been doing a little more carving on it...
2845227648_932dfcd4b1.jpg

The hat, Resistol Western, before...
2845236808_21a4f21d90.jpg

2845236758_504f05219d.jpg

more to come...

Andy

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
ps: I think this hat only cost me $8.00, plus $2.50 for the ribbon and $6.50 for the sweatband. $17.00 and a couple hours of sewing... not too shabby!

Regards, Andy

donCarlos

Practically Family
Great! From the sideview, it may need some work on the front part, but otherwise it´s a great hat.

One question - how did you sew on the sweatband? That´s one of the last things that prevents me from making my own hat.

Edward

Bartender
Very impressive. Do you have any photos from during the process? I'd be interested in hearing about how you trimmed the brim - I've toyed with the idea of conerting a Western myself, for a bit of fun. I don't have a block, so it'd be a more basic reshape, maybe, but the one thing that throws me is how to trim the brim and keep it uniform the way around...

Wasn't that fun, airforceindy? What's next? Surely you didn't go to such lengths -- making that block and all -- to convert but one cowboy hat!

Did any brim material get turned into crown (or vice versa) in the blocking? I ask because some western bodies are so thick and stiff that establishing a new bandline (where the brim and crown go their separate directions) can be quite challenging. If anyone has tips for making it easier, I'm all ears.

There's a lot to like about that hat. For a first try, it's quite nice.

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
Very impressive. Do you have any photos from during the process? I'd be interested in hearing about how you trimmed the brim - I've toyed with the idea of conerting a Western myself, for a bit of fun. I don't have a block, so it'd be a more basic reshape, maybe, but the one thing that throws me is how to trim the brim and keep it uniform the way around...
I think there are (adjustable?) brim trimmers that cut a uniform line.
Our resident hatters can better confirm this piece of information.

warbird

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I think there are (adjustable?) brim trimmers that cut a uniform line.
Our resident hatters can better confirm this piece of information.

You are correct. I recommend getting one of those. I do know we have several here who have cut theirs with a pair of scissors and a homemade compass and chalk to make the line. Personally I'd get a tool. That's what they're for.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
$17 bought you quite a bit of experience and turned a not so nice hat (sorry, but I hated the starter), into a pretty respectable lid. Nice job. :eusa_clap

warbird said:
You are correct. I recommend getting one of those. I do know we have several here who have cut theirs with a pair of scissors and a homemade compass and chalk to make the line. Personally I'd get a tool. That's what they're for.

Those brim cutters that work from the outside in, the kind that take off either an eighth or a quarter of an inch with each pass (depending on the model) are fine provided you start with a "true" edge. Not all are. I've come across factory-made hats with quite uneven edges. The waviness may not be apparent to the casual observer, but under closer scrutiny it sure is. And when a hat is taken apart and reblocked with a taller crown (or a shorter one, for that matter) than it had originally, so that some brim material becomes crown (or vice versa), you can end up with an inconsistent brim width. In that case, those brim cutters just won't do.

A rounding jack is best, but for that to work the crown had better not have any "give," which means it has to be in either a crown block or a band block, so that the rounding jack has something unyielding to press against. For the hobbyist, the problem with rounding jacks is that acquiring one will set you back quite a bit, unless you get lucky and happen upon a poorly listed one on eBay or in a flea market or antique shop or some such. And that ain't likely.

The compass-and-scissors method works well enough, for those with steady hands. It's the method I'd use if all I was doing was trimming down a brim, without dismantling the hat, and its edge wasn't sufficiently even.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. One tip. You may have flattend the brim too much. Wet just the brim, and flip it up and let it sit till dry. If may well shrink up a little giving it a sharper flip up in the back and down in the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy