Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally ready for first hat-fedora! :)

The Thinker

New in Town

jbucklin

Practically Family
Rick is right. Save your money for a fur felt hat. You will end up buying one anyway, 'cause you will not be happy with wool. You want a hat that will last and keep its shape.

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
I like the Kempton! I've never owned a wool fedora but what I try to do, and recommend to you, is listen to the heart. After listening to others, "considering well what they say," trusting one's own judgement is the fun of life.

The Thinker

New in Town
I think the 'wool' one is fur felt...but I think the seller has just mistakenly put the description as 'wool' as he probably doesn't know any better.

I mean look at it, material wise it looks exactly the same as the Kempton, its gotta be fur felt!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Why does this thread look suspiciously like another thread that's been going here for a couple of days? Like, the same OP, same 2 hat choices, and even some, but not all, of the same comments? Hmmmmm?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The seller on eBay is a hat shop of some sort, I doubt that they are that misguided. It also strains credulity that a fur felt would be priced like that.

Steven Metcalfe

New in Town
I’ve always wanted to wear a hat, but every single one I try on looks silly on me. I’m not a tall person, on the shorter side like 5’8” and not heavy. Hats seem to be only for big people in my mind and maybe that’s the point: in my mind. Any suggestions about what shorter, not massive man in my 60’s might try? Wonder how to get over my “fear of hats.”

I’ve always wanted to wear a hat, but every single one I try on looks silly on me. I’m not a tall person, on the shorter side like 5’8” and not heavy. Hats seem to be only for big people in my mind and maybe that’s the point: in my mind. Any suggestions about what shorter, not massive man in my 60’s might try? Wonder how to get over my “fear of hats.”
Start here:

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

Welcome! This is a great place and we hope you find what you’re looking for.

Most anything new or different will look and feel “wrong” until you’re used to it. After a while you’ll be wearing the hat and it won’t be wearing you.

Look through photos of men in hats and see what looks best for you. Old photos, advertising, and movies are great. You should also go through the thread here called “What Hat Are You Wearing Today” and look for the styles you like on people of a similar build.

A common occurrence is for men to start out with smaller proportioned hats (shorter crowns and brims), because they are less intimidating, only to realize later that the larger proportions are more to their liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Best advice I could give is to find a hat you like. Put it on. Forget you are wearing it. It will soon feel as natural as not wearing one was before. Any self consciousness about wearing a nice hat should go away after a few strangers compliment you on it.
If you try one and like it, buy a big hat rack. WAY bigger than you think you'll ever need. Then double it. It will soon be full. :)

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
Don’t fear the hat, just think of how silly people look without one. I too was self-conscious when I first started but now few a bit naked when I rush out to work without it (or a proper flat cap).

Be the hat man, be the hat!

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
I feared I would look to strange wearing hats. I tossed back and forth with the idea before deciding that I really wanted to wear hats and I was going to make the plunge.

Even after buying a few hats, I wouldn't wear them due to the fear that I looked out of place.

So I started wearing them IN the house. I would just sit and watch tv, go to the fridge, whatever, all while wearing a hat. This got me used to the feeling of the hat on my head. After that it was picking an occasion to actually venture out of the house without taking the hat off.

Once I first walked out wearing a hat, I've rarely gone out without one since.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Buy an old used hat or two and wear them around the house doing yardwork. That would be a setting where people would expect you to wear one. Believe me, you will get comfortable with wearing hats quicker than you think. Just do it, you'll be fine and look great too!

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
over the years and at high expense in buying wrong hats, i've found i suit light colours and black looks so wrong on me. and that 2.5 inch brim looks better on me than either narrower or wider! I think we all go thru this learning curve?
if you buy a wool hat. it will shrink! buy a fur felt one. grey is more versatile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ