Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

My bad did not notice the two-piece back

Buco CR doesn't have an action back. Well, one that counts doesn't have it. The jacket @Carlos840 posted, that's from later on when Buco moved production to UK. Despite being labeled Buco, these jackets aren't worth much as they're really bad. They usually sell for $150 or so. $700 is madness.

Again, not sure how much of a deal this is but the leather on these jackets is definitely something you don't see every day. Or ever year. If I recall correctly, @tmitchell59 said it is among the nicest he has handled.
The jacket certainly is beautiful and seems to fit beautifully.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Sportclad-Horsehide-1940s-Classic-Motorcycle-Jacket-Harley-Davidson-Black/202829455462

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Again, not sure how much of a deal this is but the leather on these jackets is definitely something you don't see every day. Or ever year. If I recall correctly, @tmitchell59 said it is among the nicest he has handled.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Sportclad-Horsehide-1940s-Classic-Motorcycle-Jacket-Harley-Davidson-Black/202829455462

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

There is another one on eBay. w/o patch...jacket looks amazing

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283756652908

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Yes, that is the wool lined Sportclad from the late 40s. I have raved about the leather on these models. This one has the same fine leather. This jacket has been on ebay for some time. Lot of nice jackets out there in this style, lot of competition.

I'll try posting a picture that may not show up.

zIp32Vuo2pwTcMx4MWheijiuQHNCHG2XNbqQxjeWSgqdFwCpaldFlC6te4s2oLcgYp03qE9ub01tMoPki-kf49ZTY37viXN-ZJ2oEBmVQUDDYHWSN-JlotbTitIqmgHjbG5qKwOtI8vr4LznPEiFQaAymo5qzGei-onGzbVc8kIpO7XzASncPZNSi3mHHpP_g5LAYpQD7brEoz-dTGF-KzOaNKltHCbOYlj_tts-Q4xn55jzbz6HmR5K1fB1JyXoG8D-tB_fNipD8apK0DpULiS7XUqMJNZ9HH3xSg9IiG2KqgXadhnP1VObcnTGZbxG1Iuce9bUpSyg8euSOjHM_CciySGHPwQ1S1BAp8uK59CKmVdqnFoCUe8V5puJS6LbgZIFpVEzA1BVSqFT2hLyRS6SKc0_CghlbErpujYGVE2VTUKyqlklu10itRXwPyoOaEShOYr1UqFk36NNteCBpKmpF8n4ACGHhbSTlZ6dsdxQ0sWCavaIvVi_nk1Hnbt51eQci7MdprVAGEYsZi8X_o1676TaTiIM_yvr_sPD14NulG27jP7RTQs6TompVQd-H_bCjNTTsphti9QPTT6teHW3-n3ujmytoVRfveU9_uYL_tKb0vZQhnk-SWGrz9-jVbHHD6Qhm5UBXcNBe3KAl-sflnx6lUkB9215aRxeQv9LiPCXT5gk7L-9NCuljFszVoA5g84XYIgJUzhAxOfTCjNIqHIZvEr2twGWyCEWKsJjBbwT=w1020-h678-no

Claybertrand

One Too Many
There it is a bit later with the "new" lining. Looks like the same high quality leather. Nice to see this transitional model. Moved to the nylon lining, a 50s zipper. Like to know who made these jackets.

Terry, not to hijack this thread, but I have a side question for you on the Talon Zipper pulls 40s vs 50s. I (probably like most others) consider the Talon Diamond and Chain Pulls older than the Hoop and Chain Pulls--but how much older??

From what you know, are the Diamond shaped chain pulls definitely older than the Hoop pulls?? 40s vs. 50s or Early 50s vs. Mid/Later 50s???

I kinda think there is likely some overlap such that we can't say Diamond Shape is 40s and Hoops are 50s.....Like, perhaps Diamond pulls crept into the early 50s and maybe the Hoops took over later in the 50s at some point. Obviously, each individual maker likely used up their stock of Diamonds and switched to Hoops when needed so there is no concrete timeline per se where one ends and the other begins. I picked up a 50s Windward HH (I'll likely have to offer it for sale due to fit) and a seemingly 50s Hercules HH and the Herc has the Diamond Pull while the Windy has the Hoop.

Could be just a couple/few years difference in age but I'm interested to hear your input with your eye and vast experience w American vintage jackets. I also of course invite everyone to contribute what you might know about this topic. If this is too thick of subject matter for a quick flurry of comments in this thread, let me know and I will start different thread on this. Apologies for any lack of thread etiquette :confused::confused:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Terry, not to hijack this thread, but I have a side question for you on the Talon Zipper pulls 40s vs 50s. I (probably like most others) consider the Talon Diamond and Chain Pulls older than the Hoop and Chain Pulls--but how much older??

From what you know, are the Diamond shaped chain pulls definitely older than the Hoop pulls?? 40s vs. 50s or Early 50s vs. Mid/Later 50s???

I kinda think there is likely some overlap such that we can't say Diamond Shape is 40s and Hoops are 50s.....Like, perhaps Diamond pulls crept into the early 50s and maybe the Hoops took over later in the 50s at some point. Obviously, each individual maker likely used up their stock of Diamonds and switched to Hoops when needed so there is no concrete timeline per se where one ends and the other begins. I picked up a 50s Windward HH (I'll likely have to offer it for sale due to fit) and a seemingly 50s Hercules HH and the Herc has the Diamond Pull while the Windy has the Hoop.

Could be just a couple/few years difference in age but I'm interested to hear your input with your eye and vast experience w American vintage jackets. I also of course invite everyone to contribute what you might know about this topic. If this is too thick of subject matter for a quick flurry of comments in this thread, let me know and I will start different thread on this. Apologies for any lack of thread etiquette :confused::confused:

This maybe as much an education for me as you. I like the Talon Diamond pulls. Conmar also did a Diamond pull. I think they look classier/more expensive, but I don't know that they are older. They look older.

The Talon Ball and Chain is from the 30s and rarely seen.

I see jackets from the 30s with hoops. I don't think the Diamonds show up on 30s jackets. I've half to look, but I don't think so. There is also an engraved ring, I believe Talon. These have a name I can't recall.

I'm thinking the Diamond came in the 40s. I'll look at some pics.

I would think that cost played a part in what part went on what jacket. There were several zipper makers. to me the Conmars seem to mimic the Talons. similar shaped pulls.

SinSir

A-List Customer
The D-pocket is gone completely, and it looks like someone buffed the sleeves with a belt sander until the top coat was removed. I've never seen such uneven wear between the body and sleeves. What could cause this?

I agree 110% Theres nothing natural about it. It reminds of that youtube guy that does all that craziness to distress a jacket.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
The D-pocket is gone completely, and it looks like someone buffed the sleeves with a belt sander until the top coat was removed. I've never seen such uneven wear between the body and sleeves. What could cause this?
I agree 110% Theres nothing natural about it. It reminds of that youtube guy that does all that craziness to distress a jacket.
Seems somebody made efforts to stupidly ruin that jacket to make it looking like a piece of crap in its current garbage condition, that's quite sad.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Different batch of leather used for the sleeves could cause this.

FlatCap99

One of the Regulars

I was thinking the same thing. There is no road rash or heavy scratches indicating they did any work related activity either. The only thing I can think of is they used a leather dye thinner/stripper because the leather looks smooth. I know this may be blasphemy to some, but with a little work this would look pretty cool again (I am not into heavy patina jackets), and aside from the cuffs at the end of the sleeve, there doesn't really appear to be much rot. The lapels have some distress but it looks like it can be treated before it gets worse. It's also a 40, but a little short for me. If the price drops on this I may consider it for fun a project. If it was a Buco in better shape, I wouldn't touch it, but something like this regardless of manufacturer to me, needs a little love. But I think this could be a good looking jacket once again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk