Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...069720?hash=item421d478c18:g:ssQAAOSweHZfHKHJ

Really cool All Weather---Smaller size (38)
s-l1600.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Gurney Philpot 50s highway patrol jacket, 22" p2p, great patina, rough liner, a bit on the short side (24" sleeves, 22.5" body). $350 @30% off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-50s-HORSEHIDE-Leather-Jacket-S-Small-Mens-Police-Motorcycle-Jacket-USA/203056419551

View attachment 249480 View attachment 249481

Another label I don't recall seeing. I can not read the full label. Nice looking jacket. This one is older probably late 40s. I would like to see a few more pics.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Regarding Police jackets------I have a really cool one that is a size too small for me that I have been trying to research the age and maker of. It is without its label. After months and months today, I finally found one just exactly like it on eBay. Mine is exactly this same jacket with a different main zipper (mine is a Talon---I believe both jackets have replacement main zips) and a different liner. I keep hoping my Covid Sheltering in Place with Donuts weight increase is the only thing keeping me from fitting in this jacket I have but I fear I will have to sell it for being too small for me.

Anyway, here is the same jacket I have.

For those who know/own police jackets, what do you make of this one?? Any idea of age or maker?? This seller has it as a 40s piece which I don't think is accurate. Button cuffs, no action back. The leather on these is awesome. I hate having to part with such a cool jacket. I'm still interested in its history though. Any takes out there??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ri...921687?hash=item3fdd7d62d7:g:uiQAAOSwme9eY4AP

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

What type of lining does your jacket have? The main Coats and Clarks is probably a redo. What type of zipper and zipper stop does your jacket have. Does it have the same small talon pocket pulls with a V on them?

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Terry!!!! Hope you are well. You'd be just the guy who might know something about this one.

Yes, mine has the same pocket Talons. My main is a #10 Talon (nickel)---could be a replacement as the stitching is a bit janky in a few places but in other spots--it looks original. Liner is a Navy Blue cotton drill I believe. Feels like Levis Docker material---khakis. All interior pockets are the same as the listed eBay jacket. One is zipped with that same pocket pull V Talon.

I'm gonna be posting it for sale very likely so I'll post pics of mine. I don't think its gonna work for me. Very cool jacket though. Any ideas what it might be??

Claybertrand

One Too Many
That one would go straight to Dena for sleeve tapering :)

Lol. I sorta thought it was more the angle of the photo and I wasn't looking too much at it since it is so outta my size range but in looking at the pic again closer in the context of your comment, DAMN!!!!! Those sleeve ends look like pant legs!!!!! :cool:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

He's also got one of the worst fake Belstaff's I think I've ever seen... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-B...cycle-Leather-Jacket-Size-XLarge/363051996897

Along with a more generic chinese fake with the tell-tale 0133 number they put on these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING...end-WAXED-Motorcycle-Jacket-L-XL/363057283591

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Unfortunately so. Tends to be the wax jackets more than the leathers from what I've seen but there are plenty of fake leathers out there too.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is hilariously horrible. Or horribly hilarious. It's SO bad! I've seen a few fake Belstaff jackets, they weren't even that bad but this is something else.

That seller is pretty trustworthy, usually.
I'm following this guy, he does have nice looking vintage jackets every now and then.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

I made an offer on this jacket and hesitated for a $10 difference. If it would have it fit I would not have hesitated. I believe it is a 38. It appears to like new from the 40s. I have many California Sportswear Co. jackets. I find them to be of the highest quality.

I do like this jacket and the fit on the maker is perfect. I do admire his work. He was working on his craft several years ago and posted his work on this forum.

I saw this one. What is this? Looks quite poorly made.

What appears poorly made on this jacket?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What appears poorly made on this jacket?
I honestly gone over this listing like 10 times. To me it looked too new to be vintage. Then a saw some wobbly stichting, double stitching and the front panels not matching up and I assumed it would be a knock off.
350E0F0F-BD6F-4FF4-A17A-B39E67E3274F.jpeg
73A10082-021A-4F09-BD68-9DBBF47575B9.jpeg
B0F13A5B-9C88-44D7-9E8D-4DF8CA58A36E.jpeg

I guess I made the mistake judging it by today's high quality standards.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
This is hilariously horrible. Or horribly hilarious. It's SO bad! I've seen a few fake Belstaff jackets, they weren't even that bad but this is something else.

That seller is pretty trustworthy, usually.

What are the markers of a fake Belstaff? Perhaps better split into its own thread.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I honestly gone over this listing like 10 times. To me it looked too new to be vintage. Then a saw some wobbly stichting, double stitching and the front panels not matching up and I assumed it would be a knock off. View attachment 249908 View attachment 249909 View attachment 249910

I guess I made the mistake judging it by today's high quality standards.

It may have been unsold due to the quality issues you observed. It looks unused. I have a steerhide California Sportswear jacket that is also like new. I will have to look more closely.

^^
The seller has 100% positive eBay rating with 249 sales, so maybe nobody has caught on yet that he is selling fakes.

He usually isn't selling fakes and is very honest and communicative. He's one of few sellers that correctly lists vinyl jackets as such, instead of trying to pass them for leather which is what everyone else is doing. He's currently selling one Harley Davidson fake leather jacket and isn't lying about it.

What are the markers of a fake Belstaff? Perhaps better split into its own thread.

Belstaff is possibly the most counterfeit plagued jacket maker in the world so it's really, really hard to point out a definite marker. Some knockoffs are obvious, like the one above (possibly made exclusively for the parking lot scam) while others can range from good to almost indiscernible. Few years back, hardware was the best way to tell the fake from the real jacket but maybe they've perfected that too in the mean time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points