Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I ordered this book from ebay, but cancelled due to needing to spend additional on postage.

Where do you download the ebook edition? That sounds very interesting.

2. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Picture of tag is out of focus, but seller says Cycle Jacket by Star. Looks like bona fide (Cal), BIN $350:
    IMG_3173.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/383666030061

Edit: Est. $75 shipping to my zip seems excessive

dannyk, Leather Walker and Mrfrown like this.
  3. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

TheOldFashioned and jacketjunkie like this.
  4. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Ridicoulous. Fifty bucks more and I can fly
    over there and pick it up myself. Does this shipping cost include delivery by a stripper or what the heck?

5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

You'll get the male policeman act with him wearing the Cal

dubpynchon, ton312 and Mrfrown like this.
  6. stmike

stmike One of the Regulars

Buy it and have it shipped to my place - only $32. I'll take good care of it.

robrinay and TheOldFashioned like this.
  7. Leather Walker

Leather Walker One of the Regulars

Mrfrown and TheOldFashioned like this.
  8. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

TheOldFashioned likes this.
  9. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. RockSolid

RockSolid One of the Regulars

Thanks you very much for the clarification, i ordered "a century of leather design" for 63e

11. Lebowski

Lebowski This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.

Looks like womens jacket considering it proportions. No measurements from the seller though. Shipping cost shown is 214$, just curious what kind of service does the seller include in such ridiculous sum?

12. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

They included measurements in the “about this item” section, rather than putting them in the description.

I wonder if they’re including insurance in the shipping calculation? For me it’s showing $75 from California to Louisiana, a mere 3x typical cost.

13. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Insurance, the box, packing material, etc. it better be packed like a faberge egg or the lost ark of the covenant for that price.

14. Jumper

Jumper One of the Regulars

To my location, the shipping is $74 for "Economy Shipping (USPS Retail Ground®)." Which does seem excessive. I looked at the seller's other listings and the shipping charges and services all seem pretty reasonable for those.

I can't make heads or tails of this listing. There's no chest measurement that I can see, and the measurements given (20" shoulder, 24" sleeve, 24" shoulder to hem) don't jibe with the proportions in the photos, like, at all. Other than a pair of boots, it seems this is the only article of clothing the seller is selling or has sold recently, so maybe chalk it up to inexperience in shipping and measuring jackets? Still, the story in the listing implies this belonged to a CHP officer in the '50s...but the proportions are odd, right?

Lebowski likes this.
  15. Lebowski

Still isn't enough to prove that crazy sum)

JMax likes this.
  16. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's beautiful, but looks a tad short. Probably was worn by someone who was on the short side.

As to the excessive postage, sometimes a seller will typo a box dimension or weight and Ebay will calculate a ridiculous cost. If the 24" the seller entered in the description fields for the jacket for sleeve length, etc. is used as a box length, that could easily explain the high cost. Sellers don't always see the cost, as it's calculated differently for each bidder's destination, so he might see a "reasonable" price like $25-30 to ship to his own zip code, and not realize there's a problem.

17. Lebowski

Those measurements don't seem to correspond with jacket proportions on the shown photos. Such big difference between body and sleeves length on the photos shown is more typical for womens jackets usually.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  18. Jumper

This makes sense. Also, now that I think about it, if the sleeve length was measured from the armpit, that could make sense of the measurements, given the proportions.

19. Jumper

I suppose we could just ask the seller about the postage and the measurements. Although I'm having more fun just trying to Sherlock it.

20. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Seller was very responsive last night. No loose seams. That’s good. But she said it does need some airing out. That scares me a bit.

I didn’t ask about measurements as the posted ones probably would work for me, if a bit short.

tmitchell59 likes this.