Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

what's the story with the grey leather support for the Vanson label?
I remember you telling me somethign abou that a while ago but i forgot.

I whish it had a full wrap around belt rather thna this front panel one...

It's the "exclusive" line for the Epaulet New York store. Well, it's all the same stuff you can get from Vanson, only perhaps made in different/lighter leather and there's that grey patch under the label, of course.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It's the "exclusive" line for the Epaulet New York store. Well, it's all the same stuff you can get from Vanson, only perhaps made in different/lighter leather and there's that grey patch under the label, of course.

thanks, I was thinking that it does look like lighter leather.

thanks, I was thinking that it does look like lighter leather.

But it does look pretty nice. I had that jacket, size 46, though. It's restrictive and uncomfortable like it looks it might be but it's so mean!

Those R&R with the grey label were made for Barney’s New York. If you google Vason for Barney’s you’ll see this jacket come up. I had one and immediately sold it. Was quite flimsy. Barney’s also had pieces from Schott around the same time.

Bareny's, right! I knew they were for a store of some kind.

But it does look pretty nice. I had that jacket, size 46, though. It's restrictive and uncomfortable like it looks it might be but it's so mean!

Bareny's, right! I knew they were for a store of some kind.
Yep, Barney’s also had some Schott HH perfecto models too. The label included the Barney’s name if I recall. The Vansons do not.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if this is Miklos Sas or another maker, but this is a good looking NYPD jacket for $115 OBO. Really cheap considering it's most likely horsehide. I'd snap it up right now but with an 18" chest and 22" sleeves, it's just too small.

s-l1600.jpg

Also a size small Brooks CR for under $100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Brown-Leather-Jacket-see-Description-For-Size/124445952915?

s-l1600.jpg

roadking04

Practically Family
Agreed. Fox creek makes good stuff. IMO it is gear that folks looking for something better than Harley gear but that are oblivious to Vanson, Bates, Cal, etc., look for. I get it. I was “lucky” (maybe not) and skipped right past Fox Creek. That said, they make good gear at a good price, and provide good customer service.

Spot on description. I bought their buffalo nickel vest about 15 years ago. Still have it. Got it for $120 brand new, I think they are over 300 now. It was my club vest. I received lots of compliments. It was two to three times thicker than most other guys vests. I actually had to take it to TRD ( a local leather shop), to sew my patches on because the the leather was so thick. It was 4oz naked leather. I believe all their leather is "naked". My vest is more grey than black now.

I am not a big fan of naked leather for m/c use. It turns into a big sponge when riding in the rain. It fades rather quickly. I also read somewhere it is more "grippy" in a slide. It doesn't slide as well as a smooth leather with a top coat. Not sure if that is true, but i would rather have a top coat leather in a 60mph slide.

I would recommend Fox Creek for their vests, but not so much for their jackets (m/c use). If FC ventured into some new leather choices I would give them a try again.

Spot on description. I bought their buffalo nickel vest about 15 years ago. Still have it. Got it for $120 brand new, I think they are over 300 now. It was my club vest. I received lots of compliments. It was two to three times thicker than most other guys vests. I actually had to take it to TRD ( a local leather shop), to sew my patches on because the the leather was so thick. It was 4oz naked leather. I believe all their leather is "naked". My vest is more grey than black now.

I am not a big fan of naked leather for m/c use. It turns into a big sponge when riding in the rain. It fades rather quickly. I also read somewhere it is more "grippy" in a slide. It doesn't slide as well as a smooth leather with a top coat. Not sure if that is true, but i would rather have a top coat leather in a 60mph slide.

I would recommend Fox Creek for their vests, but not so much for their jackets (m/c use). If FC ventured into some new leather choices I would give them a try again.

Yeah, I don’t like naked leather for riding either. Like you said, it soaks up water like crazy. It’s a PIA to wear all day. I used to ride with a Legendary vest in Naked Cow. Never again.

I’ve tried on many FC at events, stops, pubs, etc. Mostly fellow travelers I talk leather and jackets with. I let them check out my jacket and they hand me their FC. Nice, heavy, some have cool features if a bit off aesthetically. And I really don’t like the large vents many of their jackets have. I don’t like them on Vanson or Bates either.

Coriu

One Too Many
Yeah, I don’t like naked leather for riding either. Like you said, it soaks up water like crazy. It’s a PIA to wear all day. I used to ride with a Legendary vest in Naked Cow. Never again.

I’ve tried on many FC at events, stops, pubs, etc. Mostly fellow travelers I talk leather and jackets with. I let them check out my jacket and they hand me their FC. Nice, heavy, some have cool features if a bit off aesthetically. And I really don’t like the large vents many of their jackets have. I don’t like them on Vanson or Bates either.

Pecard leather dressing might be worth a try. I used it for many years on boots worn in rugged conditions and it prevents them from soaking up water. The product will darken leather and it can take quite a while for the dressing to dry. I was informed by Pecard that their boot oil is the exact same product in a liquid form. It is less messy and a little drop goes a long way. They recommend it for exotic leathers, so it is not overly harsh. I have it used it to condition older, darker leather with great success. It is a cost effective alternative for someone not wanting to drop $25 on a little jar of Saphir. When I first started using the stuff, I was concerned the waterproofing aspect may somehow impede the leather from breathing, but that has not been the case.

https://pecard.com/shop/classic/classic-leather-dressing/

Pecard leather dressing might be worth a try. I used it for many years on boots worn in rugged conditions and it prevents them from soaking up water. The product will darken leather and it can take quite a while for the dressing to dry. I was informed by Pecard that their boot oil is the exact same product in a liquid form. It is less messy and a little drop goes a long way. They recommend it for exotic leathers, so it is not overly harsh. I have it used it to condition older, darker leather with great success. It is a cost effective alternative for someone not wanting to drop $25 on a little jar of Saphir. When I first started using the stuff, I was concerned the waterproofing aspect may somehow impede the leather from breathing, but that has not been the case.

https://pecard.com/shop/classic/classic-leather-dressing/

It doesn’t really work on naked cow, especially for riding. You would need to constantly apply the Pecards or whatever. And after only a few applications, it does change the look and feel of the leather. I essentially ruined my vest trying to make naked cow into something it isn’t.

@JMax no joke these are all amazing

The same seller out of Spain is offering a Fieldmaster D pocket that I recommend. I have the same jacket. Bit different configuration from earlier and later Sears Ds. Full of French seams too. Later ones were not. Just a well made beautiful jacket. His asks are normally pricey, but he does deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner