Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rockabilly Deluxe!! I love the Rockabilly culture, style and music but I’m nowhere confident or cool enough to pull this off. If it was cheap enough I’d buy it to hang in my crowded closet so every once in awhile I’d put it on and say “damn this is so cool!” Thought I better post it tho in case Dwight Yoakam is a member here.
View attachment 319060 View attachment 319061
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50...-/233930317826?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Looks more like something that laddies would wear in my eye, stying laddies

This thread only took 439 pages to arrive at the place I knew it eventually would. Pretty good run actually. I personally wouldn't post something I wanted to buy in this lion's den. And obviously anything on an auction site of any kind is fair game. I'll buy it and post it in the classifieds if it doesn't work out for me....
All is fair in love and war!:)

Well, I never got the impression it was any other way but it works just fine because if I find something fantastic that's not my size, I'd much rather someone who'd appreciate it for what it is buys it, rather than some rando. That was the whole point of the thread for me.
I can't wear nothing that'd work for @JMax and vice versa so all is good! :D

My sources; Same as everyone else. Ebay, etsy, Fedora lounge.

I don't understand this comment

It's a stupid movie reference joke, never mind.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Look, we all playing the same game. Of course you aren't going to post something here that you yourself are bidding on and really want and assume others will want it too. But to ask us all to censor some possible posts here in the chance that someone on this forum might be possibly interested in it and someone else has possibly already put in a bid or is considering putting in a bid is quite frankly impossible. We already have a topic on that already called "Just When You Thought You Had Seen It All". What would be the point of this topic if no one ever posted anything that would actually be of value to someone else?

If I recall, I was actually the first person to post that famous Cal racer. And I even remarked "Lets Get Ready To Rumble" because even in my short time being into jackets, I realized 1) it was a damn cool jacket and 2) it was at a very low starting price and 3) several people here were going to want it and 4) most of those people probably knew about it already anyway because it was a basic "Cal Leathers" search on Ebay.

Maybe it's too early in the morning for me, but if I'm understanding correctly, before I post any other jackets here I should:

1) Memorize what jacket is on every members' wish list
2) What size each of those jackets would be
3) What color they prefer
4) How much they are willing to spend for said jacket
5) Has anything happened in the their life recently that may have changed their minds
6) Has that member actually discovered the listing you discovered

jonbuilder

Of course the internet is an open marketplace and everyone can buy whatever they want. But if I know some tfl member wants some eBay listed jacket really bad, then I won't bid on it or snipe it one way or the other.

You mentioned in an earlier post how you didn't bid on a jacket because you knew Terry wanted it:

Yet when @Carlos840 really wanted this Cal cr, you though it was perfectly fine to circumvent the auction and buy the jacket for yourself.

I'm not judging, you should do whatever you like. But it does look like you're applying double standards.
Referring to double standards Marc I really wanted that Cal also, as evidence by my posting WTB Cal CR in the classified forum and my postings in the Cal Leather tread. So tell me Marc how does your mind justify that I should back off from this particular Cal, and not Carlos that should back off because I really wanted it. And if I had backed off here is no warranty Carlos would have been the high bidder. I do not understand your thought process unless you think there are entitled members and Carlos is in the club and I am not?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I think what @jonbuilder did is absolutely fair game. I was not after that Cal, but if I was, I wish I'd thought of this. I would probably just bid until I overpaid or lost the auction. I think what was done was quite brilliant, actually. Regarding posting in this thread, if I think a jacket is cool and I am not interested in it for whatever reason, I will post.

jonbuilder

Where did I say that?
Yet when @Carlos840 really wanted this Cal cr, you though it was perfectly fine to circumvent the auction and buy the jacket for yourself.
And yes maybe it is a double standard because I hold Terry in higher regard than most here because of Terry's unselfish contributions and the fact he is doing research and all of us interested in US vintage jackets benefit.
Also, Terry gave me guidance with a more rare California jacket I was very interested in, so I decided not to bid against Terry.
The bottom line I saw the Californian / Terry and the Cal racer / Carlos in a different light and I am not apologizing for my actions.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm not saying you shouldn't have done what you did. I just noticed that on the one hand you said you didn't bid on an eBay auction because Terry wanted the particular jacket. But on the other hand you're saying eBay is an open marketplace and I can and will participate in any auction I want. Seems contradictory to me. That's all I'm saying.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Referring to double standards Marc I really wanted that Cal also, as evidence by my posting WTB Cal CR in the classified forum and my postings in the Cal Leather tread. So tell me Marc how does your mind justify that I should back off from this particular Cal, and not Carlos that should back off because I really wanted it. And if I had backed off here is no warranty Carlos would have been the high bidder. I do not understand your thought process unless you think there are entitled members and Carlos is in the club and I am not?

It's not about backing off, with an auction we each have our chance, you took the chance away from me.

To me it's more about the attitude with which you did it:

"I purposely did not bid on the California Sportwear Terry just acquired knowing he was interested in research I would most like just drive the price up for him"

And then bought the jacket you knew i wanted outside of the auction and said:

"And I am sure Carlos"s closet is not going to be lonely for one 70 year old Cal"

That is basically saying "i wouldn't be a douche to Terry, but i'm happy to be a douche to Carlos."

What do you want me to say to that?

jonbuilder

It's not about backing off, with an auction we each have our chance, you took the chance away from me.

To me it's more about the attitude with which you did it:

"I purposely did not bid on the California Sportwear Terry just acquired knowing he was interested in research I would most like just drive the price up for him"

And then bought the jacket you knew i wanted outside of the auction and said:

"And I am sure Carlos"s closet is not going to be lonely for one 70 year old Cal"

That is basically saying "i wouldn't be a douche to Terry, but i'm happy to be a douche to Carlos."

What do you want me to say to that?
Carlos, you had the same chance I did. I did not wait for the auction to run because I would rather pay 435 GBP than up to my snip of 777 GBP.
My question to you Carlos were you willing to pay 777 GBP? If not you would have cost me.
I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember you pouncing on a couple of LW jackets posted in the TFL before waiting to see if anyone else was interested.
You want to come to some agreement where before I go after another Cal I ask you, and before you go after another LW you ask me?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The bottom line I saw the Californian / Terry and the Cal racer / Carlos in a different light and I am not apologizing for my actions.
But you were the one who mentioned the californian / Terry auction when we were discussing the cal/ Carlos auction. What was the point you were making? I don't get it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, you had the same chance I did. I did not wait for the auction to run because I would rather pay 435 GBP than up to my snip of 777 GBP.
My question to you Carlos were you willing to pay 777 GBP? If not you would have cost me.
I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember you pouncing on a couple of LW jackets posted in the TFL before waiting to see if anyone else was interested.
You want to come to some agreement where before I go after another Cal I ask you, and before you go after another LW you ask me?

Once again, it's not about the money or the jacket, it's about you making a point that you would not do to Terry what you did to me. Not super classy...

jonbuilder

Once again, it's not about the money or the jacket, it's about you making a point that you would not do to Terry what you did to me. Not super classy...
Carlos you are making this out to be about you. It is not about you, it is about a jacket. I feel I own Terry and do not want to compete against him. I did not do anything to you. I purchased a jacket. I do not believe you were thinking about me when you were looking at the Cal in question, I certainly did not get a PM from you asking me if I was bidding.
Like I asked above if you want so kind of non-competing agreement PM me. Otherwise, I believe this topic has run its course and we will continue to be completitors

jonbuilder

Lost Worlds Rider RRL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lost-World...bc24:g:pDUAAOSwL3BgTY5L&LH_ItemCondition=3000

s-l1600.jpeg

Look, we all playing the same game. Of course you aren't going to post something here that you yourself are bidding on and really want and assume others will want it too. But to ask us all to censor some possible posts here in the chance that someone on this forum might be possibly interested in it and someone else has possibly already put in a bid or is considering putting in a bid is quite frankly impossible. We already have a topic on that already called "Just When You Thought You Had Seen It All". What would be the point of this topic if no one ever posted anything that would actually be of value to someone else?

If I recall, I was actually the first person to post that famous Cal racer. And I even remarked "Lets Get Ready To Rumble" because even in my short time being into jackets, I realized 1) it was a damn cool jacket and 2) it was at a very low starting price and 3) several people here were going to want it and 4) most of those people probably knew about it already anyway because it was a basic "Cal Leathers" search on Ebay.

Maybe it's too early in the morning for me, but if I'm understanding correctly, before I post any other jackets here I should:

1) Memorize what jacket is on every members' wish list
2) What size each of those jackets would be
3) What color they prefer
4) How much they are willing to spend for said jacket
5) Has anything happened in the their life recently that may have changed their minds
6) Has that member actually discovered the listing you discovered

I'll PM you my answers to 1 & 2. Disregard 3-6, I will make that determination. Please send me updates every Friday by noon. Thank you much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy