Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Here is mine. I totally forgot it was still in the trunk of my car. Along with the HH Fidelity lol.

98A819FD-E2F4-4790-90E1-FC5BACD528B2.jpeg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yep. The lining, stitch patterns, epaulettes, back design and proportions, sleeve zips, interior pocket setup, throat latch, etc. all screamed Sportclad. Such a great jacket. I bought my SC from this seller.

OHHHHH and that Throat Latch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to touch on that.......Another Clincher for the Sportclad. Those seem odd to me on a CZ so they always stand out.

You hiding them jackets from the Mrs. in your trunk!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? Isn't there a law against that!!?!?!?! :p:D:p:D:p

Those are some nice ones man. I have never handled a Fidelity that was HH. Only seen a couple of their HHs like.....EVER. Both were CZs and likely one was the one you have. I wonder how the quality is???? Being one of the makers that tend to be perhaps undervalued and considered nothing special by the masses (likely due to the prevalence of the CRs), I'd be interested to hear your take on the weight and quality of the hide and the quality overall. Not to clog up this thread or make you start another---maybe just a quick note. ;)

OHHHHH and that Throat Latch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to touch on that.......Another Clincher for the Sportclad. Those seem odd to me on a CZ so they always stand out.

You hiding them jackets from the Mrs. in your trunk!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? Isn't there a law against that!!?!?!?! :p:D:p:D:p

Those are some nice ones man. I have never handled a Fidelity that was HH. Only seen a couple of their HHs like.....EVER. Both were CZs and likely one was the one you have. I wonder how the quality is???? Being one of the makers that tend to be perhaps undervalued and considered nothing special by the masses (likely due to the prevalence of the CRs), I'd be interested to hear your take on the weight and quality of the hide and the quality overall. Not to clog up this thread or make you start another---maybe just a quick note. ;)

Sure. One of my favorite vintage jackets. The pattern works for all sorts of body types, form-fitted with a nice taper but comfortable. A bit longer than other vintage jackets too. My steerhide Fidelity CZ fits the same. It is one of the better vintage patterns imo. Well built with nice touches like the snap belt. The patch pocket on a perfecto does it for me. Just visually more appealing.

The leather is thicker than the Sportclad and most other vintage jackets I have handled. Not as thick as the thickest Cal, but more so than most of my other older jackets. In certain wear spots the undertone is a gray with hints of red, in other areas it is red with hints of gray. I love the jacket and if you see one, recommend you pounce on it. Hope that helps. Some quick snaps—

65DE6BA6-F9C0-4CCB-86A1-2C411AA5D7A1.jpeg
2BA14D17-4A4C-451B-A766-2D0C8ADA94BD.jpeg
E6BFB3B2-5529-44A9-98ED-F120CFD94D3E.jpeg
DFAAD153-136C-463F-A27D-FB21957EB1B6.jpeg

I would hide my jackets from the Missus in the trunk but it is already full of fishing gear...:)))))

Ha. When I drove from S FL to Texas I made sure to bring about 10 of my jackets with me. The rest were shipped with the household goods. It was “hard” watching them get boxed up, but I made sure to bring some with me. My traveling companions (my wife and son were in the other car).

@ JMax Thank you for posting, this beaut is on the way to Redwood City to end i's life in comfort

Awesome addition to your great collection. Is this your first MC Sportclad? It will blow you away. I can’t wait to see more pics and read your thoughts. Congrats! This may be the only one left on the planet lol.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Awesome addition to your great collection. Is this your first MC Sportclad? It will blow you away. I can’t wait to see more pics and read your thoughts. Congrats! This may be the only one left on the planet lol.
Yes, my first Sportclad I been on the hunt for a Sportclad and Californian MC I have given up the hunt for a Trojan Sportswear unless?
Where do you suggest I review the Sportclad, in its own thread or one of the established vintage treads?

Either one works. I like the Vintage thread. The vintage jackets will all be in one place and the search function still finds them.

I’m with you on the Californian, either MC cross-zip or a police jacket.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Sure. One of my favorite vintage jackets. The pattern works for all sorts of body types, form-fitted with a nice taper but comfortable. A bit longer than other vintage jackets too. My steerhide Fidelity CZ fits the same. It is one of the better vintage patterns imo. Well built with nice touches like the snap belt. The patch pocket on a perfecto does it for me. Just visually more appealing.

The leather is thicker than the Sportclad and most other vintage jackets I have handled. Not as thick as the thickest Cal, but more so than most of my other older jackets. In certain wear spots the undertone is a gray with hints of red, in other areas it is red with hints of gray. I love the jacket and if you see one, recommend you pounce on it. Hope that helps. Some quick snaps—

View attachment 340406 View attachment 340407 View attachment 340408 View attachment 340409

Wow Thanks man!! I gotta keep my eyes peeled for one of these. Looks well made. Some waist band area corduroy too which is cool. It's also in excellent shape. :) The thickness you describe is a bit unexpected. Their CRs all seem to be a medium to lighter weight cow/steer. I have one of their Boston Metro police jackets and it doesn't seem to be HH but it DOES seem to be a heavier hide than the CRs. Interesting as well that you have the steerhide version and they have similar weights. Like I said, I haven't seen these Fidelity CZs pop up really at all and you've got 2 of them!?!?!?!?! Nice!!!

Looks like the CZs also have the Fidelity "iconic" interior chain hanger riveted on. Seems like its their signature feature on non uniform jackets. Thanks again for sharing. I'll be on the lookout for these......:rolleyes:

Wow Thanks man!! I gotta keep my eyes peeled for one of these. Looks well made. Some waist band area corduroy too which is cool. It's also in excellent shape. :) The thickness you describe is a bit unexpected. Their CRs all seem to be a medium to lighter weight cow/steer. I have one of their Boston Metro police jackets and it doesn't seem to be HH but it DOES seem to be a heavier hide than the CRs. Interesting as well that you have the steerhide version and they have similar weights. Like I said, I haven't seen these Fidelity CZs pop up really at all and you've got 2 of them!?!?!?!?! Nice!!!

Looks like the CZs also have the Fidelity "iconic" interior chain hanger riveted on. Seems like its their signature feature on non uniform jackets. Thanks again for sharing. I'll be on the lookout for these......:rolleyes:

NP. It is nearly new. I was fortunate to find it. But to clarify, the HH on my cross zip is thicker and denser, if that makes sense, than the steerhide cross zip. Though I think both are thicker than what they used to make the CRs. I need to weigh the HH but the steerhide is around 5 Lbs.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
@ JMax Thank you for posting, this beaut is on the way to Redwood City to end i's life in comfort

Look forward to your review. My guess is this was a Kurland labeled jacket, probably the oldest edition of the type. this is the throat latch on mine, with the 40s zipper and size tag. I think the last one that came around had a similar button throat latch.

Each of the jackets I have seen have very special leather. Mine reminds me of shinki. As nice as any leather I have seen old or new.

This one was bought new in 1947 by a returning serviceman. I bought it from his nephew who said he never wore it.

DSC02787.jpg
DSC02797.jpg

DSC02757.jpg
DSC02768.jpg
DSC02775.jpg
DSC02779.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02777.jpg
    DSC02777.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 528
  • DSC02783.jpg
    DSC02783.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 539
  • DSC02792.jpg
    DSC02792.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 730

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look forward to your review. My guess is this was a Kurland labeled jacket, probably the oldest edition of the type. this is the throat latch on mine, with the 40s zipper and size tag. I think the last one that came around had a similar button throat latch.

Each of the jackets I have seen have very special leather. Mine reminds me of shinki. As nice as any leather I have seen old or new.

This one was bought new in 1947 by a returning serviceman. I bought it from his nephew who said he never wore it.

View attachment 340423 View attachment 340425

View attachment 340417 View attachment 340418 View attachment 340419 View attachment 340421
I do not have your eye for detail Terry to ID the jacket. I purchased it because I just like to wear cool vintage jackets in good condition and the driving factor of this jacket was the color that Jmax alluded to. I will definitely try to do a comprehensive review. TFL deserves no less. If not for TFL and the active members here I would never have fallen upon this jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner