Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Someone needs to buy this, maybe get at a better price.

Deadstock 1950s BECK 999 'One Star' Biker Jacket sz | Etsy

il_1140xN.2699425759_ev8a.jpg

Coriu

One Too Many
I am interested but the link goes to portals main page and I can't find the article.

article written in 2018....For 49 years, the Walter Dyer Is Leather store has been a fixture along Rte. 9. “People, every day, will come in and say, ‘I haven’t been here in 30 years,’” said store owner Bruce Dyer. “People will come in and say that they moved to Wyoming or California years ago, they’re visiting home and they had to step in because it brings them back to their high school days.”

Despite the fond memories the unusual space evokes (Dyer said there had been a conscious effort to retain the store’s feel over the years), the business will be closing its doors for good in late spring. The difficult decision, said Dyer, is the result of several factors, including slowing sales

“I could make a living with the store, if I just wanted to sit here all day long,” he said. “I’m 70 years old, I want to retire at some point and I want to be able to move around when I do.”

Though the Framingham store has been open since 1969, the Dyer family has been selling leather since the 1950s. Dyer’s father, Water Dyer, opened his first store in Rockport in 1957.

“He was a hand-sewer before that; he would sew loafers for shoe companies,” Dyer said. “He started hand-sewing moccasins, and went to work for himself. He would hand-sew moccasins in the shop.”

As the popularity of the moccasins grew, the elder Dyer began shopping them to small leather stores throughout the country. Other Walter Dyer stores opened up in the state and the region - Dyer said there might have been 10 or 12 such stores at one time - but eventually closed.

While Dyer’s original workshop closed because of a fire, the Framingham store, opened by Bruce’s sister Marie, has endured over the years. She opened the store, Dyer said, after deciding to leave her teaching position in Holliston.

Dyer credited the quality of the store’s products with the store’s longevity.

“We’re set back from the road - it’s not like we’re in a mall, where people walk past every day,” he said. “When people come here, their destination is to come here.”

There have been peaks and valleys, of course. Dyer said the release of the movie “Top Gun” in the 1980s spurred the public’s demand for leather jackets.

“Everybody wanted a bomber jacket,” he said. “Then, that started to slow down... a lot of companies making jackets went out of business.”

Recent years have brought a slowdown in the demand for leather goods, as well as increased instability in retail in general.

“The internet, these days, is hurting everyone in retail,” Dyer said. “A lot of places are going out of business, or closing stores they don’t need... fewer and fewer people are dropping in to buy things.”

While the store could keep going, Dyer said he felt the time was right.

“There’s no best time - you can’t predict the future,” he said. “It’s a tough decision, but I knew the time had come.”

The store hasn’t set an exact closing date. Dyer estimated that might occur in the end of May of beginning of June, but the online sales of its inventory might persist beyond that, through the store’s website and sites like eBay.

“It’s been great working here. People come in every day asking if they can get another hole in a belt, or a snap added, or to fix a zipper that’s broken,” he said. “If I can fix it right then and there, I’ll fix it and won’t even charge... (it’s about) seeing customers happy when they leave here.”

Coriu

One Too Many
I am interested but the link goes to portals main page and I can't find the article.

I wonder if there will come a day in the US when one will no longer be able to walk into a specialty shop and put their hands on a leather jacket. Are there going to be enough folks like us to sustain these small businesses? Plus, with changing attitudes toward leather, the boom of on-line business, and the lack of promotion of trades apprenticing(to make the jackets in-house)...it makes me wonder.

Me too, but there are a few people who seem to be doing okay as long as they can keep overhead down. The internet sure opened up the market though. Never would have heard of many brands without it.

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I wonder if there will come a day in the US when one will no longer be able to walk into a specialty shop and put their hands on a leather jacket. Are there going to be enough folks like us to sustain these small businesses? Plus, with changing attitudes toward leather, the boom of on-line business, and the lack of promotion of trades apprenticing(to make the jackets in-house)...it makes me wonder.

I for one intend to throw paint on anyone wearing FAUX or better yet VEGAN LEATHER. That'll teach these damn Millennials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And stay off my fake turf lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Coriu

One Too Many
Me too, but there are a few people who seem to be doing okay as long as they can keep overhead down.

Unless a vendor can maintain a social media presence in the future, I think they will be dead in the water. Unfortunately, a lot of small businesses can't afford to hire a marketing/website person and are too busy making product to do it themselves.
I for one intend to throw paint on anyone wearing FAUX or better yet VEGAN LEATHER. That'll teach these damn Millennials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And stay off my fake turf lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Fast forward to the year 2070...people on TFL today talking to their grandson..."Back when I was your age, we used to have to work for our vintage clothing, not like you lazy kids today. I would spend hours each day searching websites for leather jackets on my iphone."

"Searching the what Grandpa? And what's an iphone?"

22” P2P on this bad boy. Confirmed with pics. Smallest 48 around.

But I can tell it's a gigantic jacket! I think that regardless of what they say, it'll come out to 25". Look at the drooping shoulders and huge sleeves.

I walked the seller through how to take measurements He took photos with the correct measurements and I advised him to add to the listing.

Now he added 16.5" for chest width Lol!

24/25" p2p? Hmmm. Seller just sent me p2p of 21" this morning. Kind of a discrepancy. This one is going to skyrocket. Sigh.

He gave me the numbers yesterday, or the day before. I then remeasured mine and it is 24 / 20. Marked a 44, though I’ve owned a 48 with the same measurements.

I don’t think it will for too high of a price. A couple or a few hundo, tops. Of course, I’m rarely right about anything, just ask my wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff