Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Fidelity HH. Me want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fi...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

E24C46E8-4615-4FF9-966C-B2DEC406012C.jpeg

alish

One of the Regulars
Never seen this label. Forest and Stream instead of Field and Stream of their rival Gordan/Ferguson!

I can not get a good look at the zipper. Do you know what brand?

Looks like it is Goatskin. Many of my finest vintage jackets are in Goat.

Here is the Herd https://goo.gl/photos/s8F8zDhJcL3M4UpH6

Goat stands the test of time well as you can see in the album. Most of those jackets are 80 years old. Goat can also rot in a way that other leathers do not. That is why upper arm and shoulder pics are essential.

screen-shot-2021-06-30-at-4-20-51-pm-png.344454
Thank you SO much to everyone who has given feedback re: the Lanpher, Skinner and Co. jacket I posted about yesterday, and about jacket collecting in general. I've messaged the seller asking for more pics. Here are a couple of others that were included in the original listing.

View attachment 344454 View attachment 344455 View attachment 344456

Will post anything I get from the seller. Thanks again!!!

Okay, just got pics and more info. Turns out the main zipper has been replaced with a brass YKK zipper. I assume that drops the value significantly from a collectors' perspective?? Chest zip is original. Liner looks pretty good - missing stitching at bottom front but easy enough fix...

tmitchell59 and any others, I'd l love to hear what you think about the leather in the shoulder and collar areas in these pics. Looks thin and dry to me on the wearers left shoulder, but I'm a newbie to this and have no experience with goat hide (if that's what this is). Zoomed in, the collar looks to have the beginning of some faint cracks along the center of the image, and maybe a touch of flaking (or maybe just faded and dry?) on the viewer's right. Thoughts?? And thanks in advance for any and all opinions on value, as well as whether I should just walk away from it! Or does it look like it has some life left to it? The seller now says "It's is a special occasion jacket maybe wear once a week not daily."
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.27.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.28.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.28.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.27.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.26.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.30.03 PM.png

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Okay, just got pics and more info. Turns out the main zipper has been replaced with a brass YKK zipper. I assume that drops the value significantly from a collectors' perspective?? Chest zip is original. Liner looks pretty good - missing stitching at bottom front but easy enough fix...

tmitchell59 and any others, I'd l love to hear what you think about the leather in the shoulder and collar areas in these pics. Looks thin and dry to me on the wearers left shoulder, but I'm a newbie to this and have no experience with goat hide (if that's what this is). Zoomed in, the collar looks to have the beginning of some faint cracks along the center of the image, and maybe a touch of flaking (or maybe just faded and dry?) on the viewer's right. Thoughts?? And thanks in advance for any and all opinions on value, as well as whether I should just walk away from it! Or does it look like it has some life left to it? The seller now says "It's is a special occasion jacket maybe wear once a week not daily."
View attachment 344592 View attachment 344593 View attachment 344594 View attachment 344597 View attachment 344598 View attachment 344599

I would buy it as goatskin. I have calf skin that looks similar, but is not often seen. The beautiful brown finish also says goat to me. As my album shows, goatskin jackets were often done in interesting shades of brown that you just don't see in other leathers of the time. The goatskin may be more responsive to colors.

I do see some finish wear on the upper arm pictured, but I don't see flaking and other forms of rot. I don't see the cracks in the collar.

Missing the original zipper is a negative. Most probably had a sunrise Talon zipper. Difficult zipper to find if you want to restore to the jacket.

Screenshot_2018-02-10-16-52-34.png

It does appear to have this very limited Talon Olympic Ring Pull. These are seldom seen. The jacket below is from 1941. I would estimate this jacket to be in this time frame.

DSC08064.jpg

All in all a nice Vintage jacket. It would not be a daily wearer. Special occasions sounds right.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 344592 View attachment 344593 View attachment 344594 View attachment 344597 View attachment 344598 View attachment 344599
Far as I am concerned jackets under a grand are not collectible they are wearables. A replacement zip is not desirable but not a deal killer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto