Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Mandarin

Practically Family
Reed PJ 27

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/294305952329?hash=item4486007249:g:rswAAOSwjZpg5TXG

Reed PJ 27.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
These jackets use to come around, haven't seen one for awhile. Most are steerhide. The one on the far left below is the horsehide model.

View attachment 351553 View attachment 351552

Terry, I have one that looks exactly like the one you have pictured---the one in the middle. Like this jacket, mine is also missing the label. It has the same exact liner with a Conmar main and Conmar Diamond chest zipper pull.

On both of these jackets--the square pocket is only piped on 3 sides with the other side going into the side seam on each side. Are these a later Herc or are they another Label??? I know this style was marketed by many under many labels but I wondered if you knew anything about this particular variant of the square pocket.;)

PS--Can someone please PM or post for me how to tag people in posts???:eek::eek::oops::oops::oops::oops:o_O

jeo

One Too Many
Perhaps not a deal, but certainly a find.

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m73672958245

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.29.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.29.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.29.44 PM.png

Rainbow Country replicates this label and looks to be the basis for their whole brand, but I always thought they just made the label and name up and that it's supposed to be based on the California Sportswear brand. Never actually seen a vintage jacket with the "California MFG" label.

Anyone have any info on this label/brand? Maybe @tmitchell59?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
On both of these jackets--the square pocket is only piped on 3 sides with the other side going into the side seam on each side. Are these a later Herc or are they another Label???

I can't picture the pockets you are referring to. Most of the Hercules had the Sponge Bob Square Pockets. This Sportclad also has them. Though they look very similar, they were different jackets in fit and finish.

DSC03886.jpg
DSC03887.jpg
DSC03895.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have any info on this label/brand? Maybe @tmitchell59

This is the Original Golden Bear label. Rainbow uses something like this. This jacket is from the late 1930s with the Tanners label proclaiming cow. I have the same Tanners label in a Goatskin jacket pictured below, but no makers label. One of my most beautiful jackets.

Thanks for posting this jacket. That labels is quite valuable to me!

screen-shot-2021-08-02-at-9-29-44-pm-png.351581

m73672958245_5 (1)A.jpg

DSC06586.jpg
DSC06606.jpg
DSC06609.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I can't picture the pockets you are referring to. Most of the Hercules had the Sponge Bob Square Pockets. This Sportclad also has them. Though they look very similar, they were different jackets in fit and finish.

View attachment 351588 View attachment 351589 View attachment 351590
@tmitchell59
If you look closely at your photo (or obviously you can look at the jackets in person if you still have them)…..

I’m referring to the jacket with the Flag pin in the collar. Compare that jacket to the Sponge Bob Square Pocket others you have. You’ll see that the square pockets on most have the same border all the way around the square. It’s a clean uniformity square.

But the jacket with the flag pin—the pocket border for the side nearest the sides cinches (not those near the main zip) is not the same as the other three sides. The pockets look capital D shaped with the border on the sides near the cinches actually just being the side vertical stitching. It’s not a clean full square like the others.

I’ll get this over into the Sears Jacket thread tho and post some pics of my jackets to illustrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points