Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Wildhorses

Practically Family
A different Herc
HERCULES Authentic 1950-60's Vintage Leather Blouson … - Gem
s-l1600.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The seller just lowered his asking price to £375. I asked for additional pics of the zipper tape because the main zip is a replacement. It's not perfect but it looks ok. I've seen worse.

View attachment 371899 View attachment 371898 View attachment 371900 View attachment 371901
The seller just lowered his asking price to £375. I asked for additional pics of the zipper tape because the main zip is a replacement. It's not perfect but it looks ok. I've seen worse.

View attachment 371899 View attachment 371898 View attachment 371900 View attachment 371901

I'm pretty sure that this seller has main zippers replaced with the Cheap Knock Off Talon Repros. They sell for like less than $10. From what I have seen, and @photo2u may have more specific info on this, there are really really cheaply made Talon repros and there are supposed to be better Talon repros (but I can't ever seem to figure out where to get them). YKK makes retro zippers that replicate the look of the old classic Talon and other zippers under their OLD AMERICAN line, but I haven't seen a way to buy these in single or small quantities. https://www.ykkfastening.com/products/search/detail.html?pdid1=OLD+AMERICAN(R)

But my point is that I am pretty sure the main on this jacket is a low end Talon repro like this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184250021967

If you have ever tried to find REAL NOS period specific Talon zippers, you know they are at least 10 times the price of this listing for a repro. My understanding is that the cheap repros are not close to YKK quality (YKK zippers are great quality modern zippers).

I like the jacket and the Seller has many other "stunning" vintage jackets from time to time. But common sense tells me that these are bale jackets and they throw a $6 main zipper on em that LOOKS great but is actually crap, they condition the jackets, mannequin model and throw a high price on them. I bought from this seller once and the jacket had the much dreaded DEEP BALE CREASES that don't ever go away. It had an original zipper though so I can't say I have had a Talon repro from them.

I'm just a little leery---or sorta skeptical because of how pricey a quality zipper replacement is here in the U.S.. We have gone over this before but the cost here to do it RIGHT in the U.S. ---to buy a period specific NOS zipper ($65-$100), ship the jacket back and forth ($45+) and pay for Johnson, or Great Leather etc. to install the zipper ($100+) is easily in the $200.00 range. I know that tailoring costs vary across the globe but in my experience, things in the UK are not cheaper than the U.S. MAYBE leather tailoring is different, but either way I don't see the Seller spending the money to do a main zipper replacement the 100% best way. They are likely going the cheapest route possible because they are selling the jacket. Not keeping it for themselves.

I'm not crying foul on this jacket altogether or on the Seller per se. Just realize what you are likely getting. And I COULD be wrong. Maybe they do use NOS zippers (doubt it) and that's why the prices are sometimes pretty high. I mean, it LOOKS okay. Its a vintage jacket so maybe there will not be heavy daily use of the zipper and maybe it will hold up just fine.

Just the long version of my 2 cents as an aspiring Zipper Nerd.o_O

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure that this seller has main zippers replaced with the Cheap Knock Off Talon Repros. They sell for like less than $10. From what I have seen, and @photo2u may have more specific info on this, there are really really cheaply made Talon repros and there are supposed to be better Talon repros (but I can't ever seem to figure out where to get them). YKK makes retro zippers that replicate the look of the old classic Talon and other zippers under their OLD AMERICAN line, but I haven't seen a way to buy these in single or small quantities. https://www.ykkfastening.com/products/search/detail.html?pdid1=OLD+AMERICAN(R)

But my point is that I am pretty sure the main on this jacket is a low end Talon repro like this one.

If you have ever tried to find REAL NOS period specific Talon zippers, you know they are at least 10 times the price of this listing for a repro. My understanding is that the cheap repros are not close to YKK quality (YKK zippers are great quality modern zippers).

I like the jacket and the Seller has many other "stunning" vintage jackets from time to time. But common sense tells me that these are bale jackets and they throw a $6 main zipper on em that LOOKS great but is actually crap, they condition the jackets, mannequin model and throw a high price on them. I bought from this seller once and the jacket had the much dreaded DEEP BALE CREASES that don't ever go away. It had an original zipper though so I can't say I have had a Talon repro from them.

I'm just a little leery---or sorta skeptical because of how pricey a quality zipper replacement is here in the U.S.. We have gone over this before but the cost here to do it RIGHT in the U.S. ---to buy a period specific NOS zipper ($65-$100), ship the jacket back and forth ($45+) and pay for Johnson, or Great Leather etc. to install the zipper ($100+) is easily in the $200.00 range. I know that tailoring costs vary across the globe but in my experience, things in the UK are not cheaper than the U.S. MAYBE leather tailoring is different, but either way I don't see the Seller spending the money to do a main zipper replacement the 100% best way. They are likely going the cheapest route possible because they are selling the jacket. Not keeping it for themselves.

I'm not crying foul on this jacket altogether or on the Seller per se. Just realize what you are likely getting. And I COULD be wrong. Maybe they do use NOS zippers (doubt it) and that's why the prices are sometimes pretty high. I mean, it LOOKS okay. Its a vintage jacket so maybe there will not be heavy daily use of the zipper and maybe it will hold up just fine.

I think you're right on all counts. I'm leery too because my experience with this seller isn't all that positive. Unfortunately 'stunning' proved to be a rather subjective concept.

I haven't handled cheap talon repro's yet but this one certainly doesn't look the part. Too much gold :)

Anyway, I just learned that VAT and import fees included I'd still be paying about €485, which is too much to roll the dice.

Yep. I’m always happy going with a YKK. I’m sure some around here gasp at such a zipper being put on a LW or two. But I want a solid zip I can trust. I never could have been a surgeon, I like to manhandle things.

Coriu

One Too Many
I just read Jmax's post about spending $200 or more on a zipper replacement. I've been intrigued by previous posts concerning zippers. Just curious as to opinions concerning at what point it becomes a wise investment to "do it right." By "wise," I mean potential for return on investment if one chooses to sell.

I'm not thinking of grail jackets that are finds of a lifetime and that one clearly intends to keep forever. I get it if someone wants to spend money to make such a jacket perfect. I'm thinking of lesser jackets when I pose this question.

In terms of someone whose intent is to buy and resell a jacket, I just can't see most people taking the risk of making a substantial investment in the hope of finding a buyer who is going to appreciate the effort enough to make it worth a seller's time and effort.

Intuitively, it doesn't seem like a good investment to spend $200 on a zipper for a jacket whose total value is less than $1000.

I just read Jmax's post about spending $200 or more on a zipper replacement. I've been intrigued by previous posts concerning zippers. Just curious as to opinions concerning at what point it becomes a wise investment to "do it right." By "wise," I mean potential for return on investment if one chooses to sell.

I'm not thinking of grail jackets that are finds of a lifetime and that one clearly intends to keep forever. I get it if someone wants to spend money to make such a jacket perfect. I'm thinking of lesser jackets when I pose this question.

In terms of someone whose intent is to buy and resell a jacket, I just can't see most people taking the risk of making a substantial investment in the hope of finding a buyer who is going to appreciate the effort enough to make it worth a seller's time and effort.

Intuitively, it doesn't seem like a good investment to spend $200 on a zipper for a jacket whose total value is less than $1000.

Yeah. Dena always asks me if the jacket is a keeper. She understands this better than most. I say, heck ya, and she puts the YKK on a LW or my grail Herc. It’s mine. It ain’t going anywhere. I need to satisfy my own quirks.

Al 916

One Too Many
My opinion is....They accept returns. Marketing copy is just that.... and, my family do not get threatened if I point out that the measurements are slightly off.

Carlos, you know who / what I mean.....

@Marc mndt , @Carlos840 and @handymike

My apologies for the lightness / brashness of my comment. I can see that my lack of experience with this seller is hugely overshadowed by your many bad experiences with him

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Based on measurements I received (he posted one pic), it will fit. I’m curious about this one.

That one and don't forget these two. I'm thinking better photos would show these two to be very nice condition. The Cycle Queen is also a larger size with a 20" p to p. Both have the original belt which doesn't happen too often. Neither has a Horsehide tag.

s-l1600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner