Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Brent $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/42-TRUE-VT...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

3D3D98EE-7624-4F07-85A1-A3844D33A20A.jpeg

Is (was) AMC a retailer? This jacket looks a lot like the Windward that's on its way to me.

I believe it was a maker. Not much out there. I gotta find my hard drive. I recall finding an obscure early 50s(?) catalogue selling clothes made by AMC. Not leather though, cotton I think. The catalogue was definitely some Midwest, regional-type department store. You see AMC flight jackets more often than MC jackets too. The windwards look nicer.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Realistic price for a Buco nowadays.

Friend, come on. With all due respect. Not realistic. How many good condition j24 have you seen sold for this price? It sold fast. Why? Because it was a freaking good deal. I would buy it and hold it as a gift for a special person in my life. Why? Unfortunately, they do not come around that often. 60+ year jacket with ORIGINAL mouton and belt? The belt alone is worth to me 150. The mouton a lot more. How many have you seen with both items in a buco j24 sale? I truly do not remember one. In my view, jackets are worth only what the seller is willing to pay at a particular time.
Just my point of view. I respect everyone's opinion, and I am only writing this because I am made as hell for not knowing about it. I know a dear friend of mine who would have been very happy to own such an icon.

Last edited:
Friend, come on. With all due respect. Not realistic. How many good condition j24 have you seen sold for this price? It sold fast. Why? Because it was a freaking good deal. I would buy it and hold it as a gift for a special person in my life. Why? Unfortunately, they do not come around that often. 60+ year jacket with ORIGINAL mouton and belt? The belt alone is worth to me 150. The mouton a lot more. How many have you seen with both items in a buco j24 sale? I truly do not remember one. In my view, jackets are worth only what the seller is willing to pay at a particular time.
Just my point of view. I respect everyone's opinion, and I am only writing this because I am made as hell for not knowing about it. I know a dear friend of mine who would have been very happy to own such an icon.

I dunno but I'm definitely seeing a trend of vtg leather jackets prices going down and Buco isn't an exception.
I think people realized there is still relatively many of them & that the Buco quality often isn't as good as the legendary status of the brand would have you believe. We don't see many cheap(er) ones because they sell, that's true, but even the jackets that are around $1500 linger around for months or longer. The same set of Buco's on eBay is the one I've been seeing for a long time now.

Reproductions have reached a point where they're better in every possible regard and in reality, since regardless of how we may feel about these jackets, they aren't irreplaceable works of art and all it takes a fantastic machinist & great piece of hide to re-create even the most impressive vtg piece.

People realize that for $1500 or so, it makes infinitely more sense to invest into Lost Worlds for instance, as you objectively are getting a vastly superior piece and while romanticizing has its rewards no doubt, it is my observation that with time, everyone shifts towards the most economical & practical option.

Coriu

One Too Many
I dunno but I'm definitely seeing a trend of vtg leather jackets prices going down and Buco isn't an exception.
I think people realized there is still relatively many of them & that the Buco quality often isn't as good as the legendary status of the brand would have you believe. We don't see many cheap(er) ones because they sell, that's true, but even the jackets that are around $1500 linger around for months or longer. The same set of Buco's on eBay is the one I've been seeing for a long time now.

Reproductions have reached a point where they're better in every possible regard and in reality, since regardless of how we may feel about these jackets, they aren't irreplaceable works of art and all it takes a fantastic machinist & great piece of hide to re-create even the most impressive vtg piece.

People realize that for $1500 or so, it makes infinitely more sense to invest into Lost Worlds for instance, as you objectively are getting a vastly superior piece and while romanticizing has its rewards no doubt, it is my observation that with time, everyone shifts towards the most economical & practical option.

Well said. I think what you say would be especially true for younger people. Gen Z/Gen I is very practical. I could see them favoring a well-made repro over "the original." And, in that sense, demand for vintage may decline over time.

When I was a kid, it was cool to own a car from before my time. There was a certain amount of romanticizing about the past. I don't see that today. It's all about having the latest and greatest, whether it's clothing or electronics.

People today seem to desire a brand name they can recognize with sexy marketing behind it. Us older folk might jump up and down over a 50's Buco ad, but show that to a younger person and they will roll their eyes.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I agree vintage jacket prices have come down in value over the last 15 years, but you would rather wear a Lost world than a good-fitting Buco in good condition your not cool enough. :cool: lol The highest I have gone is $1,200 for a pristine 24 size 46 with a mutton collar. That $1,200 with inflation would be $2,000 in todays money. I would never pay $2,000 for a lost worlds.
I bet I could sell my J-24 for close to $2,000 today. If I had purchased a Lost World 12 years ago instead of my J-24, do you think I could sell it today for $2,000?
Far as quality I prefer the horsehide Buco used during the 50s over LW horsehide.
Do not take me wrong monitor, I do respect your opinion regarding leather jackets

Al 916

One Too Many
We here are a niche market (always a slight chance that others look at us and see (old) guys in very old leather jackets....slight chance)

Coriu

One Too Many
Or old guys trying to look cool. Good news is it can be done. Bad news is it is not easily done. Much easier to look cool when you are young.

I think it is easier for old guys to look cool today than it has in the past. Things have really loosened up in terms of what is "acceptable," ie leather jackets don't carry as much of a stigma as they did in years past. And I rarely look at young people today and say, "Boy I wish I could pull that off." Most in my area where old blue jeans and hoodies. I could pull that off, whereas a 60+ year-old guy trying to dress like me when I was in college...no way.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab

This is the conversation I have with myself when looking at East West jackets, which would be a grail piece for me. Two popped up on eBay this past week. I had a preference for one design over the other but it was probably a touch too small (and the listing no longer exists). The other should fit and the seller has already reduced the price 20%. Time to start selling stuff to raise funds. But then I ask myself, if I'm going to do that why not just get an Electric Leather Studio instead?

And then I answer myself, "Your thrifty a** won't be getting either."

I agree vintage jacket prices have come down in value over the last 15 years, but you would rather wear a Lost world than a good-fitting Buco in good condition your not cool enough. :cool: lol The highest I have gone is $1,200 for a pristine 24 size 46 with a mutton collar. That $1,200 with inflation would be $2,000 in todays money. I would never pay $2,000 for a lost worlds.
I bet I could sell my J-24 for close to $2,000 today. If I had purchased a Lost World 12 years ago instead of my J-24, do you think I could sell it today for $2,000?
Far as quality I prefer the horsehide Buco used during the 50s over LW horsehide.
Do not take me wrong monitor, I do respect your opinion regarding leather jackets

No need to justify your position, nothing to take wrong; We're just sharing opinions, it's what this place is about. :)

But to clarify my point; First you gotta find a good Buco and that ain't easy. From what I'm seeing, the quality was all over the place, same as with many other makers of the era so you immediately got one concern to deal with that modern repro makers don't suffer as quality material is one of their main selling points.

Next up, by paying crazy money for vintage you're taking a huge risk as even though the condition may seem fine, who knows how far off the jacket is by the time you got it. Thread alone can't be as strong as it was 70 years ago and last thing any collector wants is having to repair their Grails.

It's all too much of a risk and people realize this. I'd love to have an original Buco! But I would never pay for one because I know I wouldn't really feel comfortable wearing it to all the places where I normally wear my Schott. Sure, that might be the issue with my character but I think a lot of people feel the same way. Even if the money isn't an issue, irreplacability is.

Giving considerable thought to all this has left me reluctant to spend huge money on an old jacket, especially given the modern alternatives.

But to answer your questions; I believe you could sell your J-24 for $2000 today but it'd be a long process. However, I'm absolutely sure you could sell your Lost Worlds J-24 for $1200+ within a few days because the buyer will know without a shred of doubt they're getting the best leather jacket there is, bar none.

This is the conversation I have with myself when looking at East West jackets, which would be a grail piece for me. Two popped up on eBay this past week. I had a preference for one design over the other but it was probably a touch too small (and the listing no longer exists). The other should fit and the seller has already reduced the price 20%. Time to start selling stuff to raise funds. But then I ask myself, if I'm going to do that why not just get an Electric Leather Studio instead?

And then I answer myself, "Your thrifty a** won't be getting either."

Exactly. And why not? And furthermore, why not tweak it a bit to your liking, while you're at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff